Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I want to try mountain hiking, but, I'm not sure where to start. I never tried it, and I know nothing about it, besides, the walking part.

I wonder if there is, some sort of program/club, where I could join, and they could guide/teach me?

I live in East Midlands, there isn't any mountains, close to where I live, that I know of.

Any experienced hikers out here, would be kind to explain the ins and outs.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Start walking until you find a group or do some charity events. I can recommend a week camping holiday in snowdonia national parks lots of hikes available!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of companies that do mountain walkin trips but dependent on your age you may need an adult with you. If you go on a train you could be in the lakes within an hour.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're at/going to uni there will be a hiking club there.

Otherwise best option is to go to some mountains with friends. Start with Snowdon in the summer or something. There are safety issues with British mountains - easy to underestimate the weather and there are deliberately very few signs/marked paths in many places so you need to know how to use a map and compass, but if you stick to very popular routes there will be a path on the ground and you will be a lot safer.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.