The Student Room Group

Mocks

I’ve got my mocks in 5 days. What is the best way to revise for science ?
Depends on you. How do you like to learn?
Reply 2
Exam papers !!! Do every single one
Original post by xxjessxx20

Mock exams are important only to the extent that they give you an idea of which areas you need to focus on, as well as put you in a situation as if you are taking the real exam in strict exam conditions.

Personally, I wouldn’t be too stressed about serious revision for mocks - rather, save your energy and willpower for the real thing.

Nonetheless, if you do want to revise, going through the syllabus to check your knowledge would be a good place to start. Also, doing past paper questions will allow you to get a grasp of the exam structure and what the exam board expects of you. You certainly won’t have all the time in the world to do all the past papers, and I assume you have other subjects to revise for as well, so I would recommend being selective and picking harder past questions to have a go.

Original post by Student-95
Depends on you. How do you like to learn?

Indeed, what is your preferred method? Some methods are much more efficient to you than other ways of revision, so maybe take this as an opportunity to have a think what suits you the most.

What mocks are these for, May I ask?
EDIT: Sorry - realised they were GCSEs. GCSEs are probably your first-ever set of important exams, so the most important thing to get from your mocks is the environment of sitting an actual exam and what you can learn from exam technique (e.g. time management during the exam).
(edited 5 years ago)
Seneca Learning literally saved my revision for science ! ! Definitely try that! And also anything you find difficult watch freesciencelessons (youtube) for it as he explains it really well and makes it easier!
past exam papers, writing out notes, making revision cards and watching videos online really help me. I did my biology mock today!
Reply 6
Original post by StarWinchester
past exam papers, writing out notes, making revision cards and watching videos online really help me. I did my biology mock today!

Thanks !
How did the mock go and what exam board ?
It was AQA and it went really well thanks! I answered every question and there were only a few I wasn't sure about aha. Good luck with yours!
Thanks !
How did the mock go and what exam board ?

People learn in different ways. You have to try out each method then do a little test after to see what helped the most. I found in mid year 11 that I best learn just by listening and just remembering that lesson and what was said. But you could try Seneca that seems to be quite popular.
ooo good luck! my year 10 mocks were absolutely rubbish, i never used to pay any attention whoops
- don't stress it too much
- try summarising each page of your textbook, sticking to the points in the specification
- if you have a cgp guide, please don't use it by itself- i predominantly use mine for topics i don't understand in my main textbook
- test yourself! this is very important- you can do this though one of the very limited past papers/ specimens (for maths it's fine to do the old spec ones, science maybe not so much), or you can use flashcards, or textbook questions
- try teaching someone else information- at the moment, i come in for my gcses about 30mins before the exam, and i use this time to teach other stuff, because it genuinely helps me, and others which is a plus!
- use quizlet if you prefer it over paper flashcards
- make sure you actually revise, because you will regret it later- i wish i revised for my year 10 mocks, because then i'd have some material to revise from now from the earlier topics
- for exams with 6 markers/ long markers, like biology and re, spend some time planning out answers to possibly questions that could come up- from each page of your textbook, think of a possible 6 marker, and also an answer!
- use your year 10 mocks to explore different revision methods, try out mindmaps and flashcards and other methods- this will be your last chance to figure out how you really revise best in time for exams
- finally, keep the papers after you do them- they'll be useful later on!
hope this helped- any other questions let me know :smile:
also seneca is rubbish? i didn't see the point of it tbh idk don't @ me
it's probs just the way i learn

Quick Reply

Latest