?
Report 8 months ago
Free up the mandem in London. DOE Gang.
Fallen_Angel_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you like rosemary or coriander? I like herbs too.
Drostina
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Heidi_16)
Do you think this is right?
I don't like the idea, I even hate the smell and I can't imagine everyone smoking it. But everyone to themselves, if its legalised then they can smoke it, their choice
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Its a complex issue where you have to bear in mind a few points;
Pros -
- lots of dosh for government in taxes
- saves even more on pointless court and criminal proceedings
- dope isnt deadly - at least to my knowledge

Cons -
- it can be a "gateway drug" [although debatable]
- whilst certain strains of cannabis are fairly innocuous it is a proven fact that someof the more potent strains are incredibly bad for your mental health

Either way in ones opinion its a vaguely good thing in the grand scheme of things albeit simply because it makes life easier for everyone.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh my goodness..The Simpsons just predicted another thing !! D: D: D:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hnewjEEUs1c

To be honest, I don't see it as a big deal either way. I went to Seattle for a week, and it's a 'green city.' To be fair, it's not a big deal. Although there's different levels of law enforcement, the police won't generally arrest you for smoking weed, althouh there are restrictions where one can smoke inside.

I've never partaken in the Devil's Lettuce, myself, but fundamentally, it's better to have it legal and regulated...not just for tax revenue purposes, but for the safety of users. The people who will use it find a way whether it's legal or not. It's only a
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Heidi_16)
Do you think this is right?

Much less harmful than cigarettes or even alcohol cures few kinds of cancer, helpful in chemotherapy, helpful as depression cure (and Canadians have a large problem with it). Plus legalisation takes money away from the mafia.

Plus, in a dark alley I'd prefer to meet people who smoke marihuana, rather than people who have drunk a lot.
noonelikesu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yeah I think it's right, tbh weed is the least harmful drug compared to herion and coke. most people have tried weed this just makes it easier and more safer for them to try and use it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Logical_Son
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Pros -

Cons -
- whilst certain strains of cannabis are fairly innocuous it is a proven fact that someof the more potent strains are incredibly bad for your mental health

Either way in ones opinion its a vaguely good thing in the grand scheme of things albeit simply because it makes life easier for everyone.
Pros: Lots of dosh. As long as you are buying government weed. Netherlands still has a black market in weed.
"saves even more on pointless court and criminal proceedings" apart from the usual thefts and violence associated with drug use.

"dope isnt deadly - at least to my knowledge" Still a carcinogen.

Cons: Gateway drug, so is booze
Strains: Weed as been developed over the years into the type of weed we smoke today (mostly sativa heavy head mash stuff). So chance are the weed you smoke will do your head in.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 8 months ago
well it's an interesting experiment at least. my suspicion is that partly what makes weed so exciting is the 'illegal' bit tho, like you're doing something bad even though weed itself is hardly that exciting. kids might still find ways to buy it illegally for that very reason. or, it will lose its 'exciting' stigma and kids will have to find other ways to entertain themselves. wouldn't be surprised if the sales in other drugs increased.
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
well it's an interesting experiment at least. my suspicion is that partly what makes weed so exciting is the 'illegal' bit tho, like you're doing something bad even though weed itself is hardly that exciting. kids might still find ways to buy it illegally for that very reason. or, it will lose its 'exciting' stigma and kids will have to find other ways to entertain themselves. wouldn't be surprised if the sales in other drugs increased.
The buzz and addiction is another big factor for drugs like these.
Pizza32
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It’s not recreational weed though . It’s for medical purposes only so what’s the problem?
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
The buzz and addiction is another big factor for drugs like these.
maybe...i don't know the statistics on marijuana addiction, but it can't be more common or more harmful than alcohol addiction and we don't make that illegal just because some people are addicts.

i just know my friends smoked pot largely because it was 'cool'; making it legal somehow drops the 'cool' factor significantly. plus now in Canada it's legalised nation-wide, unlike the US where it's only in certain states, so there it could still maintain its cool factor.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
maybe...i don't know the statistics on marijuana addiction, but it can't be more common or more harmful than alcohol addiction and we don't make that illegal just because some people are addicts.

i just know my friends smoked pot largely because it was 'cool'; making it legal somehow drops the 'cool' factor significantly. plus now in Canada it's legalised nation-wide, unlike the US where it's only in certain states, so there it could still maintain its cool factor.
I guess the "cool" factor and the excitement of it being illegal gets people into weed. But the buzz and addiction is what keeps them into it. Just my opinion, I myself don't know about the statistics.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
I guess the "cool" factor and the excitement of it being illegal gets people into weed. But the buzz and addiction is what keeps them into it. Just my opinion, I myself don't know about the statistics.
i've never had that exciting of a buzz so maybe i was smoking the wrong stuff. lol
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i've never had that exciting of a buzz so maybe i was smoking the wrong stuff. lol
Maybe so lol. I guess it's different for everyone.
completecretin
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Pros -

Cons -

Two of your cons are not very strong points. The "gateway drug" argument still has next to no evidence to support it and is nearly entirely hypothetical.
For your second point, that acts as an argument for legalisation and regulation. If certain strains are harmful, illegality is bound to place people at risk
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Logical_Son)
Pros: Lots of dosh. As long as you are buying government weed. Netherlands still has a black market in weed.
"saves even more on pointless court and criminal proceedings" apart from the usual thefts and violence associated with drug use.
We should bare in mind that is not but a counterfactual...
"dope isnt deadly - at least to my knowledge" Still a carcinogen.
Do I honestly need to point out the rather large list of things you use in your day to day life which are infinitely more toxic? - Just because something is carcinogenic does not mean it should be ipso facto banned.
Cons: Gateway drug, so is booze
As I said that point is debatable. Not to mention booze isnt usually classed as a drug per se.
Strains: Weed as been developed over the years into the type of weed we smoke today (mostly sativa heavy head mash stuff). So chance are the weed you smoke will do your head in.
I am aware... Although a fun fact this is mainly in the west where cross breeding and other fun programs have sought to potentate it beyond all measure. in the more "traditional" heartlands of India, Morocco, Afghanistan et al. it is still relatively true to the natural plant.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ugaaa5)
Two of your cons are not very strong points. The "gateway drug" argument still has next to no evidence to support it and is nearly entirely hypothetical.
For your second point, that acts as an argument for legalisation and regulation. If certain strains are harmful, illegality is bound to place people at risk
That is why I said it was debatable equally these are not as such my arguments but the ones most commonly raised by anti-legalization campaigners.

Mmm to a point, on the second remark, in ones opinion though pandoras box was opened on that a long time ago and it would be next to impossible to wind that clock back.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
That is why I said it was debatable equally these are not as such my arguments but the ones most commonly raised by anti-legalization campaigners.

Mmm to a point, on the second remark, in ones opinion though pandoras box was opened on that a long time ago and it would be next to impossible to wind that clock back.
gotta add that also, the talk of strains and the affects it offers is highly debateable, some people question if a change of CBD/THC/THCA actually makes different strains different in anyways. some people dont really beleive strains exist at all ... so the 2nd con is a bit meh. weed itself shouldnt be used if you have metal health issues simple as, its been linked with paranoia and helping to to intensify the feeling and affects of some mental health conditions such as schizophrenia. i think and its been debated and strains is just a myth, its more of a selling ploy than real. what is happening though is the strength and concentration of THC and CBD and the upto 300ish other chemical inhaled when smoking weed ( upto 200ish when vaping weed) is increasing, weed is nowhere near the 8-15% THC from 40-50 years ago in the 70's its more around 15%-28%, and that large different from 8% to 28%.

overall i dont have a problem with people putting things into their body; why are people who never tried weed or know anything about it at all, holding back many people who wanna try it, esp when its nowhere near as harmful as alcohol and doesnt even come in the same ballpark when it come to addictiveness compared to nicotine , i think like portugal all drug use should be decriminalized( i am agaisnt legalization even for weed, since i started smoking at 17, before i was allowed to legally, and could easily get cigs, if weed was legal, i can just imagine the large amount of 17/18 year old/teenagers that would have probably not been able to ever get weed, now easily be able to try and consume it) , dealers should still be targeted Ofc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed