The Student Room Group

How did you deal with working in a dead end job?

Hi all,

I've been working as an IT technician for the past 2 years for a small startup and let's just say the workload most of the time is minimal.

The company has 5 employees including myself, however 2 of them work in another office located elsewhere so in our main office there is only ever me and the boss when he isn't in meetings or out on business trips, occasionally the sales guy comes in to do a bit of work but he is almost always out.

A typical day usually involves sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week waiting for the phone to ring or someone to e-mail in, average phone calls a day is probably about 3 and 90% of the time they just want to speak to the boss and isn't anybody calling in about an IT issue.

Now as you can imagine for me doing this every day of the week absolutely messes with your head, the boredom is just unreal and you feel like your going nowhere, I did try applying for other jobs last year and got a couple of interviews which went fine but didn't get the jobs, doing this though while already working full time is extremely difficult, anyway gave up with that and stuck with what I had hoping things would eventually change.

End of last year I started getting depression because I felt so lonely sitting in a dead office all day with nobody to talk to apart from the boss who while is a decent bloke is a very different person to me, it is worth mentioning at this point that I'm the youngest in the company being 21 years old and everyone else being 30+ so even when I do get to talk to people everyone just kinda looks down on me as that young guy who hasn't experienced life yet, kinda sucks but oh well that's just life.

So yeah loneliness, depression and it was at that point I decided right this is killing me now and I need to change it, either look for another job or just do anything to get out of this place, nonetheless I decided that I wanted to go travelling and have saved most of my salary ever since, next week is my last week at this place and in 3 weeks time I'll be off living in Australia for about a year and i really can't wait as you could probably imagine!

What I learnt and would like to put out there to anybody else looking for a new job currently is always make sure the job is definitely going to be right for you and you are going to be happy working there because hating your job for whatever reason really does affect how you feel in general and if you need to get a job because you are very short on money make sure you know how and when you plan to escape because it's one thing working a job you hate but when there is no light at the end of the tunnel it destroys you.

So for me going away and doing something completely different for a while was my solution of escape if you know what I mean and no doubt if I was working in a job where I was happy I probably wouldn't had even thought about doing something different, I just wish I was more careful and followed my initial instincts not rushing into the first offer I got because it has now resulted in being unhappy for 2 years which is something I never thought would happen, going away clearing my head and doing some travelling and other things which I love I believe is great way to find myself and understand what I really want to be doing, because I tell you it wasn't going to happen in that office.

So now at this point I'm interested if anybody on here has gone through anything similar? If so please feel free to share your stories because I believe it is important people are aware of what could happen if they aren't careful about the job they choose, don't get me wrong I'm still grateful I've had a job in the first place and to most people sitting around all day doing nothing and getting paid is a dream job, but honestly when you are given that much free time without anything to do it starts to mess with you, avoid these dead end jobs they just aren't worth your time! I would rather have a consistent workload then be doing nothing any day (let's just say I already feel sorry for the guy who will be replacing me haha)

Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing your stories and if you have any questions please ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending