Revising effectively

Watch this thread
emilykatz2203
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do you know that your method of revision is efficient when you do it, How can you revise well?
sallyS22
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I found that some methods of revision I could feel my concentration fade and by the end of a topic I coudlnt recall much of it. but then if i did a good revision session I was engaged until the end and remembered a lot of it. A good way of checking can be to do a test on the material you've been over a couple of days later and see how much of it you both remember and understand. Try this with a couple of different techniques and you should be able to find the best for you.

It's SO worth experimenting and finding what works best for you..
PrinceLucifer
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emilykatz2203)
How do you know that your method of revision is efficient when you do it, How can you revise well?
If you find revision a bit difficult I would suggest playing some music you like or if doesn't help to concentrate I would do revision bit by bit as in doing 1hr or half an hour a day that should help you memorize it more.
The answer to your other question about if the method is efficient is that you usually can tell when you will remember some of what you are revisiting.
I would revise well by finding what method you like to use such as using or doing a power point slide presentation so that its a summary of what you are revising but it all depends on the person you. could lisern to some teachers on YouTube which can help you learn about the subjects.
The Learn Ranger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emilykatz2203)
It's good to try different methods.

The evidence is that methods that you get actively involved in work best eg actually writing, doing past questions, making cards.

Also you need to keep testing yourself. That way you can work out which methods work best for you - see how much you learn using different methods.

Also, remember that different subjects might need different revision methods eg maths students often use past papers whereas history students need more knowledge so may make revision notes or cards.

What have you been trying? How did it go?
AT06
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You remember what you have put into practice. Humans are programmed to learn from doing, and unless you are exceptionally disciplined and minded, any revision must consist of reading, applying it to a real life or theoretical situation, testing knowledge through mock questions or practical tests, and then maintaining that knowledge thereon through regularly refreshing the above process.

Knowledge is learnt and lost through your ability to apply it either literally or theoretically on a continuous basis.
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’d say found out what kind of learner you are. Auditory (learn through listening and speaking), visual (learn through pictures) etc and then once you’ve found that out, think of revision techniques that suit your type. Auditory might be listening to revision videos online or visual might be drawing your own pictures. To revise efficiently, split your revision sessions into bursts, so 25 minutes revision, 5 minutes breaks and then you repeat the same process (pomodoro technique)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (99)
28.61%
It went fairly well (165)
47.69%
It didn't go too well (55)
15.9%
TERRIBLE! (27)
7.8%

Watched Threads