The Student Room Group

Has anyone every made a mistake an exam but got a good grade?

So I've just had my A2 chemistry exam and I mucked up on the 6marker. I wrote some things down but I'm so annoyed I made such a silly mistake! Has anyone ever done this but still got like an A/A*?

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

My friend had a essay worth 20 marks in english she messed up the main characters name but still got an A.
Reply 3
Original post by victoriu
My friend had a essay worth 20 marks in english she messed up the main characters name but still got an A.

I think with humanities it's a bit different though because the marking is so subjective
Reply 4
Original post by Heather1709

Spoiler

Thank you 😊I keep trying to tell myself that but results day is just so far away I don't think I can hang on until then!
what board was it??
Reply 6
Original post by 123medicine
what board was it??

AQA
Original post by olivia_millen
AQA

If this was about the clock reaction don't worry. Grade boundaries will be pretty low as it's only second year
GCSE Biology, I missed out about 8 pages of questions in paper 1, came out with an A*, still a mystery to this day!
Reply 9
Original post by littlediddy
If this was about the clock reaction don't worry. Grade boundaries will be pretty low as it's only second year

It was!! Did you do that paper today? I'm actually retaking chemistry as I got a B last year but thought I could improve and get to the uni I want after my Dad passed away weeks before my exams last year. If a silly mistake is the difference between me going and not I'll be heartbroken 😓
I hated that 6 marker too :biggrin: assuming you got 0/6 (which may not be the case) you could definitely still get an A* on that paper, because last year's boundary was 71/90 - you still have about 14 marks you can afford to lose, assuming similar boundaries. For an A you'll need about 57, so you still have approx 28 marks you can lose before you cross the boundary into a B.

Remember you've taken 2 other papers, there are 300 marks in total for A level chemistry! so those 6 marks are a tiny fraction of that. I know everyone says this, and it's easier said than done, but you can't change it now and you just have to try to move on :smile:
It was!! Did you do that paper today? I'm actually retaking chemistry as I got a B last year but thought I could improve and get to the uni I want after my Dad passed away weeks before my exams last year. If a silly mistake is the difference between me going and not I'll be heartbroken 😓

I feel neutral about paper 3, just weird because usually I can tell how a paper went but have no idea about this one, need an A* too for my offer but that's looking unlikely smhhh
So I've just had my A2 chemistry exam and I mucked up on the 6marker. I wrote some things down but I'm so annoyed I made such a silly mistake! Has anyone ever done this but still got like an A/A*?

im guessing u did aqa. Literally right ur chemistry paper is out of 300 marks cmon this is only 6 marks out of 300 look at the bigger picture smh
OP, you've failed.

I'm sorry to tell you this but after making a small mistake on 1 QUESTION, that defeats your chances of even getting a D.
You'll have to retake AQA chemistry for another year.

Sorry :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Pure Water
I feel neutral about paper 3, just weird because usually I can tell how a paper went but have no idea about this one, need an A* too for my offer but that's looking unlikely smhhh

I thought paper 1 and 2 were ok. Do you do Biology AQA? All those papers we vile!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymouspsych
im guessing u did aqa. Literally right ur chemistry paper is out of 300 marks cmon this is only 6 marks out of 300 look at the bigger picture smh

I know but there are probably questions on there I didn't do right and haven't realised on top of this 6 marks. Those are the questions I should be losing marks on not silly mistakes. My exams are all done now and I just don't know how to chill until results day
I thought paper 1 and 2 were ok. Do you do Biology AQA? All those papers we vile!

For bio paper 1 was an absolute nightmare, paper 2 I loved and paper 3 was in the middle? I don't know :frown:
Reply 17
Not me, but when I was doing GCSEs we were doing Of Mice and Men and my english teacher said to my whole class every single lesson (no exaggeration) "there will always be a question on the fight scene with Lenny and Curly", "there will never not be a question on this", "make sure you have talking points on this scene perfected because there's gonna be a question on this" and so on.

My friend had just reread her A* essay on the fight scene and wanted to write it all down before she forgot it, so she opened the answer booklet and just went for it. It was only after she'd written it and half the time was gone that she went to the booklet to see what question number she should put next to it, and... no question on the fight scene.

She panicked a lot and did her best to answer the questions worth most marks and she didn't bother crossing out the fight scene essay and got an A overall.

Also, on a science test a girl missed the last 3 pages of questions - she got to the 4th from last page, turned it, didn't realise she's turned 2 pages at once, saw the desk, and figured that was the end. Fortunately, she'd done so well on the rest of it she still came out with an A.
Original post by Pure Water
GCSE Biology, I missed out about 8 pages of questions in paper 1, came out with an A*, still a mystery to this day!

Wow I messed up chemistry I hope it will work out
This happened to me last year. I was doing the last chemistry paper and on that day, there was a student from a lower year group going around causing havoc (I think they threw a plate at someone because I could definitely hear the sound of china breaking) and they set off the fire alarm about 3 different times during our exam. We were told to just continue with the exam so I got to a 6 marker and I really struggled to answer it fully. I completed some of it, but just couldn't get to the end answer so I had to force myself to move on. I made a lot of stupid mistakes on that paper (as you can imagine, it's hard to concentrate with that piercing alarm screaming for the most part of the exam) so I left the exam hall feeling really terrible. But I got an A* in chemistry - so yeah, it's happened 😶

Quick Reply

Latest