The Student Room Group

Good Foreign Language Films?

I absolutely adore Foreign Language films, but I've only seen a few (Amelie, Cinema Paradiso, Jean de Florette, Manon Des Sources). Does anyone have any suggestions of good ones to watch? They can be in any language (or genre) but I do love French films in particular as I'm learning the language and they seem to be really good <3

Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lily Mason
I absolutely adore Foreign Language films, but I've only seen a few (Amelie, Cinema Paradiso, Jean de Florette, Manon Des Sources). Does anyone have any suggestions of good ones to watch? They can be in any language but I do love French films in particular as I'm learning the language and they seem to be really good <3

Attachment not found

Any particular genre?
Reply 2
Not really, I'm interested in most genres, although I do love a good romance or fantasy movie xD
Not really, I'm interested in most genres, although I do love a good romance or fantasy movie xD

Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent dark fantasy set in World War II era Spain.

No idea on romance unfortunately, most of the foreign language stuff I've watched tends to be horror/thriller. I can make suggestions if you like but it sounds like it's at the opposite end of the spectrum to the stuff you enjoy!
Reply 4
Ooh that sounds good, I'll check it out. And I'm up for horror/thriller stuff, I find them pretty fun, so if you have any suggestions go for it xD
I've studied Das Leben der Anderen for German A-level and I really enjoyed that!
Ooh that sounds good, I'll check it out. And I'm up for horror/thriller stuff, I find them pretty fun, so if you have any suggestions go for it xD

:yy::yy:

Battle Royale (Japanese)
I Saw the Devil (Korean)
Oldboy (Korean)
Raw (French)
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Persian)
Reply 7
cell 211 and revenge are great
Reply 8
I mostly watch foriegn language movies. I think Hollywood gets to caught up in populism and often drains talent from the English speaking world.
Comrade KIm goes flying
Bad Genius. Thai movie
When I studied French for a year, we watched “He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not”, starring Audrey Tautou. It was very, very good and I would recommend it to anyone. If you want to branch out into Asia, I’d recommend the movie “Mulan”, which is the Chinese version.
Downfall is a brilliant German film. It's where all the famous Hitler parodies come from. It's actually really good though.
Les Choristes is a good one!
untouchable's a lovely french film. watched it yesterday.
Les choristes and il ya longtemps que je t'aime for french films. and for spanish definitely pan's labyrinth. Kristin scott thomas and juliette Binoche have done a lot of French speaking films.

Hidden Kisses!
Original post by entertainmyfaith
untouchable's a lovely french film. watched it yesterday.

:gah: is it the comedy film? I watched les incroyables last year and loved it (so does my French exchange) it's so funny:laugh:
Reply 18

The untouchables, it's a french movie about a well known artist. Highly recommended.
And "The Insult" it's a Palestinian-Lebanese movie if wanna have a look at what's like in the other half of the world.
Original post by Toastiekid
:gah: is it the comedy film? I watched les incroyables last year and loved it (so does my French exchange) it's so funny:laugh:

yees! didn't expect to enjoy it:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest