what GCSE maths topics should i master first

Watch
Motorcate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am self studying for A level mathematics (so i can study Computer science and mathematics at uni) and i am wondering which topics within GCSE are the most important to master before moving on to A level..
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's your background?
Which A levels are you doing?
What did you achieve in your GCSE maths?
Which topics did you have problems with / find difficult?
rlyneedtostudy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This list will cover the stuff that's in the GCSE syllabus which is also necessary for A Level Pure Mathematics paper 1;
Proofs, surds, indices, quadratics (solving, completing the square, drawing), simultaneous equations, inequalities, solving linear equations, expanding brackets, factorising, curve sketching, transformations (specifically translations), equation of straight line, equation of circle(? I think that's in GCSE), circle theorems, trigonometry (sine rule, cosine rule, pythagoras, area of triangle), exponential, logarithms (this might not be in GCSE), vectors.

The way I made the list was by comparing the specification of the GCSE paper and the A level paper and seeing which topics came up in both. If you want I can give you a list for the A-level Statistics/Mechanics/etc papers. But in all honesty, if you're planning to prepare for A-level than just follow the A-level syllabus unless you have to do your GCSE maths there isn't much point revisiting the GCSE content.

Also, PM me if you're interested in free private lessons, I'm thinking of streaming A level lessons next year, (if you're the type to prepare in the holidays, I'm sure I can arrange something then too).
Y1_UniMaths
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rlyneedtostudy)
This list will cover the stuff that's in the GCSE syllabus which is also necessary for A Level Pure Mathematics paper 1;
Proofs, surds, indices, quadratics (solving, completing the square, drawing), simultaneous equations, inequalities, solving linear equations, expanding brackets, factorising, curve sketching, transformations (specifically translations), equation of straight line, equation of circle(? I think that's in GCSE), circle theorems, trigonometry (sine rule, cosine rule, pythagoras, area of triangle), exponential, logarithms (this might not be in GCSE), vectors.

The way I made the list was by comparing the specification of the GCSE paper and the A level paper and seeing which topics came up in both. If you want I can give you a list for the A-level Statistics/Mechanics/etc papers. But in all honesty, if you're planning to prepare for A-level than just follow the A-level syllabus unless you have to do your GCSE maths there isn't much point revisiting the GCSE content.

Also, PM me if you're interested in free private lessons, I'm thinking of streaming A level lessons next year, (if you're the type to prepare in the holidays, I'm sure I can arrange something then too).
By A level do you mean year 1 or 2? Because I’m self teaching as much of the AS level content as I can in the summer holidays since I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I’d love to sit in on some of your lessons but only if they’re applicable to me.
rlyneedtostudy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Y11_Maths)
By A level do you mean year 1 or 2? Because I’m self teaching as much of the AS level content as I can in the summer holidays since I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I’d love to sit in on some of your lessons but only if they’re applicable to me.
I think Paper 1 should be for the first year. Starting from this year (2017-18) there changed the specification so I think they've dropped the AS label. But technically paper 1 is basically AS content.
rlyneedtostudy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also thanks for your interest, I'll put you on the pm list ^-^
Y1_UniMaths
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rlyneedtostudy)
Also thanks for your interest, I'll put you on the pm list ^-^
Ok great
Motorcate
Rep:
?
I am using studypug to do my studying. I am currently focusing on the AS and then i will do the A level study sessions. I will only sit the AS if it's a Mandatory part of A level.

I also have no clue what S1 M1 or any of the other things mean. Are they all seperate exams and do i need to sit them all? Do i have a choice of which i can sit??
rlyneedtostudy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Motorcate)
I am using studypug to do my studying. I am currently focusing on the AS and then i will do the A level study sessions. I will only sit the AS if it's a Mandatory part of A level.

I also have no clue what S1 M1 or any of the other things mean. Are they all seperate exams and do i need to sit them all? Do i have a choice of which i can sit??
Before 2017 there use to be separate modules, C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,S2,M1,M2,D1,D2. The C stands for Core, the S stands for statistics, the M stands for mechanics, and D stands for decision maths.

C1-4 were compulsory and you got to choose to do two more. This was the previous way things were done. I think now there is essentially two papers, paper 1 and paper 2. So you don't need to worry about all that other stuff.
Y1_UniMaths
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Motorcate)

Don’t you have to pay for studypug? How good is it? I’m using examsolutions it’s amazing and free! S1 means statistics one and statistics will be assessed in paper 2 along with the other content from the course. M1 means mechanics one and mechanics will be assessed in paper 1 along with the other content from the course.

Here is a link to the specification and topics on paper 1 & 2 you might find useful.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...56-SP-2017.PDF
Motorcate
Rep:
?
Don’t you have to pay for studypug? How good is it? I’m using examsolutions it’s amazing and free! S1 means statistics one and statistics will be assessed in paper 2 along with the other content from the course. M1 means mechanics one and mechanics will be assessed in paper 1 along with the other content from the course.

Here is a link to the specification and topics on paper 1 & 2 you might find useful.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...56-SP-2017.PDF
You do have to pay for it. However it isn't a high price as it is aimed towards students. I find it helps a lot with studying as it explains the topics in amazing detail which i find helpful as i have never done logarithms etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads