The Student Room Group

Studying History

Hi, I’m an adult learner,45, who is interested in history. I would like to study history at degree level, eventually. Can anyone provide me with some advice, in particular entry requirements, A levels if they are necessary, and location, would I be able to study at a college part time or could I do this online? It would be beneficial for me to study in a classroom environment, providing availability, but not vital.

I’ve spoken with the OU, and they said I can enrol immediately on a honours degree. However, I feel I may benefit from the knowledge gained from an A level beforehand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Mitch
If you really want to do your A levels before doing an honors university course have you considered using an online homeschool? If you prefer a classroom like you said maybe consider getting a tutor that’s approved by the exam board and sign up to take your A levels as an external candidate ( you will have to sit the exams either at an exam venue which is most likely a sixth form or college provided they accept external candidates ) consider online courses through inter high and k12 academy as they are both accredited. It’s a virtual classroom and you sit exams at an exam center
Reply 2
Hi Kayla,

Thank you for your advice. I did consider the home study route. However, I was put off by the conflicting reviews I was reading, in particular, one review that stated the course wasn’t worthy
the paper it was written on! I will consider your
advice RE inter high and K12, thank you.

Regarding the accredited tutor, any advice on how I source a tutor? I’m guessing I would have to contact a college.

Kind Regards

Mitch
Hi Mitch,

I’m pretty sure if you find a tutoring agency they would have accredited tutor. I know one of my friends found an advert online for one of the tutors, just be careful to make sure they are actually accredited.

I did a year of inter high whilst traveling and doing my GCSE’s and it is very good. My cousin did K-12 and it worked well for him.

Kayla
Reply 4
Original post by 7mitch3
Hi, I’m an adult learner,45, who is interested in history. I would like to study history at degree level, eventually. Can anyone provide me with some advice, in particular entry requirements, A levels if they are necessary, and location, would I be able to study at a college part time or could I do this online? It would be beneficial for me to study in a classroom environment, providing availability, but not vital.

I’ve spoken with the OU, and they said I can enrol immediately on a honours degree. However, I feel I may benefit from the knowledge gained from an A level beforehand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

You could do A-Levels via an online tutor or with a college. When you do eventually study History at undergraduate level, it would be advisable that you contact the admissions team at the university you're interested in and ask them about the entry requirements as you're a 'mature student' (basically anyone aged 21+).

Hope this helps,

C&P/JT
Original post by 7mitch3

Regards

Mitch

Have you looked into an Access To HE course?

To get an idea about studying history at university, have a look at Black and Macraild's book, Studying History.
I'd agree with the previous poster that an Access to HE course at an FE College is worth considering. These are rigorous and highly regarded by many universities (including us). :smile:

What area of history are you interested in?

Original post by 7mitch3

Regards

Mitch
Reply 7
Hi all,

Thank you for the sound advice, much appreciated.

I’m considering 2 options.

1 an access to Higher Education with the Open University as I realise trying to attend a class and holding down a full time job would be impossible.
2 A level online, I’m looking at Inter High, thank you Kayla. I do feel that I would be missing out on valuable content bypassing A level history and going immediately into an access. What do you think?

As for a specific area of history. I’m interested in history in general. However, if I’m pushed, I would say civilisations, wars and politics and how they have come to define us as a civilisation.

Time is not a factor as I’m exploring this out of a personal interest. There is no career goal, well not at the moment. My motivation is to expand my mind.

Regards

Mitch
Original post by 7mitch3
Hi all,

Thank you for the sound advice, much appreciated.

I’m considering 2 options.

1 an access to Higher Education with the Open University as I realise trying to attend a class and holding down a full time job would be impossible.
2 A level online, I’m looking at Inter High, thank you Kayla. I do feel that I would be missing out on valuable content bypassing A level history and going immediately into an access. What do you think?

As for a specific area of history. I’m interested in history in general. However, if I’m pushed, I would say civilisations, wars and politics and how they have come to define us as a civilisation.

Time is not a factor as I’m exploring this out of a personal interest. There is no career goal, well not at the moment. My motivation is to expand my mind.

Regards

Mitch

If you're interested in that type of history, have a look at...

Sapiens, by Yuval Harari
The Human Web, by JR and WR McNeill
War and Peace and War, by Peter Turchin (might be a bit heavy)
Reply 9
Hi ageshallnot,

Thanks for the recommendations. One click and they are on their way!

I read Catostrophe, by Max Hastings. A shocking but equally fascinating read so I don’t mind heavy reading, if Catastrophe counts as heavy reading.

Thanks again

Mitch
Original post by 7mitch3
Hi ageshallnot,

Thanks for the recommendations. One click and they are on their way!

I read Catostrophe, by Max Hastings. A shocking but equally fascinating read so I don’t mind heavy reading, if Catastrophe counts as heavy reading.

Thanks again

Mitch

You're welcome. Nothing by Max Hastings counts as heavy reading! 😀

Btw if you want to ensure people see your responses you need to use the quote or reply function.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest