The Student Room Group

Trying to get fit!

Hi all,
I'm 18, a female, and have been living a moderately healthy lifestyle my whole life!
Over the course of sixth form(just finished my A-Levels), I have gained a lot of weight, I was around 9st when I started and am now nearing 11st. It's very visible weight as well, as from looking at pictures from then and now it's very evident I have put on weight.
I don't necessarily want to lose "weight" but would like to lose the fat I have gained and gain muscle mass and tone up a bit. I'm also planning on joining the RAF next year so would like to increase my overall fitness.
Mainly doing it for my own self confidence and just for my health!

Does anyone have any tips on what I should focus my training on or any good websites/youtube channels to visit for tips? I'd also like some information on diet and what I should be eating/avoiding to lose this fat.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Easiest way to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Try to eat healthily such as eating more complex carbs eg rice, wholemeal bread, cereals etc and drink water where you can (also eat more protein if you're looking to increase muscle mass eg lean meat/fish/nuts/chickpeas etc). In terms of exercising/improving fitness, try and go to the gym once/twice a week and walk/cycle to places when possible (at the gym I recommend rowing machines as you get a better overall workout, maybe swimming). For toning I'd do light weights every few days (but leave a rest day in between lifting weights). Hope you succeed! :smile:
Try to cut back on refined sugars, that’s the worst culprit for gaining weight and offers no nutritional value at all. Stay away from energy drinks and foods with refined sugars, as hard as it is, it will be worth it for your health in general and your weight.
Exercise is important too but long sessions of cardio are relatively ineffective in order to lose weight. Try HIIT or similar short but intense sessions in order to see best results. Good luck!
I certainly agree that cutting back on refined sugars would be your best bet for weight loss. Cutting back on carbs and replacing the remaining carbs with complex carbs i.e Wholegrain rice and wholegrain bread will also help you to lose weight as the higher fibre content in the complex carbs will help you feeling fuller for longer too.

Have you considered giving Intermittent fasting a go? it's where you fast for 16 hours a day (basically skipping breakfast) and eat only during the remaining 8 hours albeit healthier than your traditional diet.
Original post by marveldinosaur
Hi all,
I'm 18, a female, and have been living a moderately healthy lifestyle my whole life!
Over the course of sixth form(just finished my A-Levels), I have gained a lot of weight, I was around 9st when I started and am now nearing 11st. It's very visible weight as well, as from looking at pictures from then and now it's very evident I have put on weight.
I don't necessarily want to lose "weight" but would like to lose the fat I have gained and gain muscle mass and tone up a bit. I'm also planning on joining the RAF next year so would like to increase my overall fitness.
Mainly doing it for my own self confidence and just for my health!

Does anyone have any tips on what I should focus my training on or any good websites/youtube channels to visit for tips? I'd also like some information on diet and what I should be eating/avoiding to lose this fat.
Thank you!

hello hello!
okay so, im gonna be instructing an Army bootcamp in less than 5 weeks, and im a PT too, i could come up with a work out plan for you if youd like? toning up and gaining muscle mass will take a lot of time and determination too

if youd like, drop me a PM with your current stats, how often you gym and how much work youre willing to put in and ill devise a plan for you :smile:

good luck
Original post by CleverSquirrel
hello hello!
okay so, im gonna be instructing an Army bootcamp in less than 5 weeks, and im a PT too, i could come up with a work out plan for you if youd like? toning up and gaining muscle mass will take a lot of time and determination too

if youd like, drop me a PM with your current stats, how often you gym and how much work youre willing to put in and ill devise a plan for you :smile:

good luck

Hi!
Wow thank you, that would be amazing!!
I try and gym nearly everyday, minus a Thursday because I play netball which is basically a high intensity work out haha! I'm willing to put in alot of work!! For my RAF entry I have to be able to do 32 sit ups in a minute, 10 push ups in a minute, run 2.4km in under 13.25 mins, and get to level 6.1 on the bleep test. I'd like to make sure I'm much better than these standards to prove that I can work hard and do all I can to stand out!
Thank you so much if you could help, that would be incredible!!
Original post by marveldinosaur
Hi!
Wow thank you, that would be amazing!!
I try and gym nearly everyday, minus a Thursday because I play netball which is basically a high intensity work out haha! I'm willing to put in alot of work!! For my RAF entry I have to be able to do 32 sit ups in a minute, 10 push ups in a minute, run 2.4km in under 13.25 mins, and get to level 6.1 on the bleep test. I'd like to make sure I'm much better than these standards to prove that I can work hard and do all I can to stand out!
Thank you so much if you could help, that would be incredible!!

give me till this evening and ill have a plan for you :smile:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
give me till this evening and ill have a plan for you :smile:

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest