Turn on thread page Beta

Official AS/A Level Results Day 2018 Thread watch

ReputationRep:

:tsr:
    AS/A LEVEL RESULTS DAY 2018!
    :woo::woo::woo:

Hi, and welcome to the A Level results day thread! Use this thread to share what grades you'll think you'll get, how you're feeling about your subjects and how you're feeling on the run up to the big day!

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).

We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself

Questions:
    What A level/AS Levels/BTEC subjects are you doing?
    What do you want to be?
    What are your predicted grades?
    What grades do you want to get?
    If you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)?
    What do you want to do after A levels?
    How are you going to open your results?

Also any suggestions for this year's thread poll?

FAQs
    Results
    When do grade boundaries get released?

These aren't officially released to students prior to results day but some exam boards release them to Exams Officers on the Wednesday before results.

There will be official TSR Grade Boundaries thread with links and more details. PLEASE try to keep any naughty behaviour (like leaking grade boundaries) confined to that thread - it makes it much easier for the support team

Links to leaked grade boundaries are against TSR rules - please don't post them on TSR or ask for them on TSR. If you want them use Google.

Grade Boundaries unashamed click bait

When can I collect my results from school/college?
    That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the time then ring them up on Wednesday the 16th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?
    Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?
    UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday. Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

When do schools get our results?
    Schools get results the day before students. Only the exams officer will have access (and any extra staff who are needed for sorting out results for collection) - most teachers wont know your results before you do!

UCAS
    I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?
    See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...surance-choice

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?
    Track will go live between 6am and 8am on results day. UCAS say 8am (and 7:30am for Advisers) - it might go live earlier. It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.
    Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
    NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 6am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else. Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get ready to collect your results from School.

-what will Track show
    It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference

Track scenarios

(Original post by PQ)
    Ok let's break it down Firm is X, insurance is Y

X -CF, Y-CI - neither has decided ring firm

X-CF, Y-UI - insurance has accepted but firm not decided. Ring firm

X-CF, Y-R - insurance has rejected, firm not decided. Ring firm.

X-UF, Y-CI, firm accepted, insurance not decided. Celebrate.

X-UF, Y-UI, both accepted. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.

X-UF, Y-R, firm accepted, insurance rejected. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.

X-R, Y-CF firm rejected, insurance not deciding. Ring insurance.

X-R, Y-UF firm rejected, insurance accepted. Celebrate

X-R, Y-R both rejected. You're in clearing.

This ignores changed course offers which either university can make.

Both universities do their own thing. They don't have time to look what the other is doing.

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!
    NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS. If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
    a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
    b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
    c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
    d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
    e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
    f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.

In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!
    NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers. If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go into School/College expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!
    We'll have a thread up soon with advice about what to do

I did really badly - what do I do now?
    We'll have a thread up soon with advice about what to do

Results day stats from 2016:
    Spoiler:
    Show

On results day last year: 58% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM 5% were unconditional with their INSURANCE 1% of applicants were already unconditional with a clearing choice (Scottish/IB/reapplicants who had their results) 15% of applicants were in limbo waiting for a decision from either their firm or insurance. 22% were in clearing (either because they had no offers initially, didn't accept an offer initially or both their firm and insurance had rejected them).

By the end of Clearing last year: 62% of applicants were unconditional with their FIRM 6% were unconditional with their INSURANCE 6% were unconditional with a CLEARING choice 5% were still in limbo (these are usually international students who don't bother sending through their results or cancelling their applications)
    0.1% were unconditional with an ADJUSTMENT choice 21% were still in clearing (because they decided to take a gap year or are international and had a place in a university in another country).

So about half the limbo Track people end up with their Firm, about half find a place through clearing and a smidge end up with their insurance.

Results Day Flowchart
    pdf version

Credit to PQ for making this

Upcoming Results Day 2018:
    SQA results day Tuesday 7th August 2018
    A-level results day Thursday 16th August 2018
    GCSE (IGCSE) results day Thursday 23rd August 2018

:rave:4 WEEKS TO GO!:rave:

ReputationRep:
    I'll start

What A level/BTEC subjects are you doing?
    BTEC Health and Social care and Sociology
    What do you want to be?
    Midwife
    DMC
    DDC
    If you're going to university what are firm and insurance choice and offer?
    Firm: University of West London conditional offer 120 UCAS points
    Insurance: None (the rest of the universities rejected me)
    Go to university!
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    What A-Levels am I doing?
    Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and EPQ

What do I want to be?
    Doctor

Predicted grades/grades I want
    A*A*AA/A*AAA

University: none as of yet.

How am I going to open my results?
    Probably at the same time with a bunch of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    What A level/BTEC subjects are you doing? Media Studies, Fine Art and Drama and Theatre Studies
    What do you want to be? Still wondering. Some sort of producer or editor or even script-writer would be neat.
    What are your predicted grades? - BCD
    What grades do you want to get? - BBB
    If you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)? Coventry (BBB), De Montfort (BCC - Not sure about this one, if I don't get Cov I might go into clearing)
    What do you want to do after A levels? - Media Production BA (Hons)
    How are you going to open your results? - I've gotten close to one of my class groups so I'm hoping we'll all go together. If not, alone again

ReputationRep:
    Im doing alevel maths, chemistry and physics
    I need AAB
    But want to get A*AB
    Firm chioce in Manchester university, insurance is Nottingham. (To study mathematics)

ReputationRep:
    History (A2), Sociology (A2), English Literature and Language (A2), EPQ, Politics (AS)
    What do you want to be?

Still unsure between a civil servant or a political journalist

Politics - B, Sociology - B, History - C
    I already have an A* in my EPQ and a B in English. Based on last years grade boundaries, I should have 3 A's, but I'm certainly not expecting that. I'd be content with ABB (what I need for university)
    If you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)?

Bristol University (firm), UEA (insurance)

University

With my friends and boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    English, History & Drama

What do you want to be?
    Something writing/theatre/creative based - I'm really interested in theatre administration at the moment, but I'd be happy doing anything in that field.

A*A*A* (yeah...not going to happen)

AAA - that's what I need to get into uni, and that's all I care about right now.

They are both to do English. Oxford (Wadham) at AAA, and then Nottingham at AAA too - but they gave me an unconditional if firmed so I think they'll be somewhat lenient.

Go to university!!

I'm going to check track in the morning and PRAY I have gotten in, but I will probably sit and open them on my own whatever the outcome is.

I am so nervous. I really think I have missed the grades and I don't know what to do:bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics
    What do you want to be?
    Not too sure. I enjoy programming and am doing comp. sci. at uni but I'm not sure I want to go into industry/software dev. etc as I want to be able to have some originality with what I'm doing. Who knows, I may change my mind though. Probably would like to either work my way up the ranks in corporate, or start my own business - we'll see!

A*A*A*A*

Well obviously 4 A*s would be a dream, but not too sure I'll get them for both physics and economics, but a man can dream!

Offers from Durham (AAA), Bristol (A*AA), Bath (AAA), Loughborough (ABB). I've firmed Bath and put Bristol as my insurance!
    My school sends out emails with results in so I'm probably going to wake up and look at them on my phone immediately on the 16th of August!

ReputationRep:
    English, Business and Sociology
    What do you want to be?

An English teacher/primary school teacher. Or anything creative... or anything that'll pay me lol

EHH. They were AAA but then I screwed up and now they're CCC :/

Honestly, as long as there's not three U's on that sheet of paper, I'll manage to be okay with it. Preferably a B in English though.

Unconditional Brighton

Go to uni and fix my life lmao

Take the envelope, leave immediately, then open it somewhere quiet on the way home or something.

ReputationRep:
    So nervous omg wat

ReputationRep:
    What A level/BTEC subjects are you doing? History, English Lit and Lang, Psychology
    What do you want to be?
    unsure
    AAA (more possible if it were last years grade boundaries)
    AAB
    UEA firm uncon, declined warwick's offer AAB
    History BA
    Having them emailed to us...

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Biology and Politics
    What do you want to be?
    Forensic/Analytical Scientist
    BBC
    BBB
    Firm= Keele(BBC) Insurance= Hull (BCC)
    University
    Im going to check track in the morning, if i got in i will open them at school. If not im gonna open them alone and cry

ReputationRep:
    English Literature & Maths & Computing
    What do you want to be?
    a level teacher (:

A*A*A

A*A*A* but it's looking like max AAA

Firm is Warwick AAA

uni!

hmm not sure depends if I've got into uni or not

ReputationRep:
    Psychology (AQA)
    English literature (AQA)
    Fine art (OCR)

What do you want to be?
    Video game artist

CCC :/ (literally everyone’s predicted grades are CCC regardless of GCSE grades which is stupid... the teachers just made up their own predicted grades)

Bs at least

Not going this year but I just want to go to Falmouth

Well I’m going to do foundation art for a year before uni

By opening the envelope lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What A level/BTEC subjects are you doing? Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music
    What do you want to be? No idea lol
    What are your predicted grades? A*A*A*A
    What grades do you want to get? Original aspiration was A*A*A*A*, but it's looking more like A*ADA now lol
    If you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)? Firm: Durham (A*A*A with A*A* in Maths, FM) and Insurance: St Andrews (A*AA with A*A in Maths, FM)
    What do you want to do after A levels? Go to uni and hopefully survive
    How are you going to open your results? With my hands

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry, Maths, EPQ
    What do you want to be?
    Not sure
    AAAB
    AAAB
    Firm Warwick - AAB (not including EPQ)
    Start uni
    Probably my checking Moodle at 6am

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who's saying that they're going to open their results with their hands are so witty ahahaa yall so funny please teach me how to be funny hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry A levels
    What do you want to be?
    No idea!
    A*A*A*A*
    A*A*A*A* but I think I'll get A*A*A*A with an A in physics
    If you're going to university what are firm and insurance choice and offer?
    Firm: University of Cambridge Natural Sciences (offer A*A*AB)
    Insurance: Durham Natural Sciences (offer A*AB/AAA excluding chemistry.)
    Go to cambridge hopefully lol
    wait for my UCAS update to see if I get in, then go into school for the actual grades
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, I'm doing AS Levels in all 4 Subjects, however there wasn't a specific one for AS so I came here as it's the same day, close enough right?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry AS levels, I intend on continuing all 4 to next year.
    What do you want to be?
    No clue
    AAAA at AS. Predictions are likely to be anywhere between A*A*AA and A*A*A*A*, depending on how these AS Levels go.
    AAAA
    No Clue
    The same way everyone else is.

ReputationRep:
    What A level/BTEC subjects are you doing?Spanish, history, music and EPQWhat do you want to be?A translator/interpreter or a diplomat, I'm still deciding. I can get quite a lot of money for translation since I'm doing Chinese and Japanese at uni but if become a diplomat I can steal things without getting arrested lmaoWhat are your predicted grades?AABWhat grades do you want to get?AAB, in an ideal world A*A*A* but that ain't gon ****ing happenIf you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)?Firm is University of Leeds (AAA-ABB) and insurance is University of Nottingham (BBB)What do you want to do after A levels?Go to uniHow are you going to open your results?Probably at school with my friends, hopefully drunk so that I can numb the pain in case I fail everything

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.