The Student Room Group

Official AS/A Level Results Day 2018 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JennLousie
I just wish it was results day already - at least if I knew for sure that I’d missed my grade, I could start figuring something out

The fact they’ve all been marked and in the case of AQA, grade boundaries decided and they’re just sat somewhere is so so annoying. And we have to wait even though grades decide our future 😖
Original post by sureofit
The fact they’ve all been marked and in the case of AQA, grade boundaries decided and they’re just sat somewhere is so so annoying. And we have to wait even though grades decide our future 😖

I’m just going to keep watching Horrible Histories to try and distract myself for the next 12 days otherwise I might actually go crazy
I’m just going to keep watching Horrible Histories to try and distract myself for the next 12 days otherwise I might actually go crazy

Horrible Histories is so good, might try that myself 😂
Original post by Thegoldens
Does anyone know if the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) board releases the A level results the same day as the other boards (i.e. the 16th August)? And if they don't release them the 16th which day is it?

I think CIE results are released on the 14th of August
Original post by rhaegar459
Anyone feel like theyve either just gotten into their firm or just missed out and may even go clearing? That's the part that sucks the most. So much depends on grade boundaries/the harshness of the examiner and I get a numbing pain in my heart just thinking about it :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Me - I know I’ve either just hit or just missed my firm offer and honestly the uncertainty is killing me :argh:
What A level/AS Levels/BTEC subjects are you doing?

All WJEC: Mathematics, Further Mathematics (AS), Biology, Religious Studies and Welsh Baccalaureate.

What do you want to be?
Not sure.

What are your predicted grades?
A*AAA

What grades do you want to get?
Predicted grades, but AAA(dont care about 4th subject) in Maths Biology and WBQ,

If you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)?

Maths at Manchester for AAA- firm
Maths at Cardiff for AAA-Insurance

What do you want to do after A levels?
Uni
Original post by Protostar
Me - I know I’ve either just hit or just missed my firm offer and honestly the uncertainty is killing me :argh:

Do you think you'll meet your insurance choice?

You'll hit it :hitit: < that's u
Original post by nisha.sri
Ocr bio and maths but have no idea tbh

I saw you on the ocr bio exam thread last month do u have no idea at all? I need a bit of comfort because i think i got 52 in paper 1, 60 in paper 2 and 40 in paper 3 which isnt enough to get me the A ineed :frown:

There's no way you've missed your firm offer. *touch wood*

Edit:

This thread is actually making me so sad.
I messed up 1 exam :frown: so If I fail, I'm becoming an Alpaca Herder.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok so im a medicine applicant and my offer is AAA but i keep thinking im going to get between AAB-BBB for some reason and i have NO IDEA of what other degree to do if i dont get in. I felt like i put my soul into my med application and im not sure if im ready to reapply again because it was too overwhelming applying the first time. What do you guys think i should do? :frown:
What A level/AS Levels/BTEC subjects are you doing?I’m doing A2 Biology, Chemistry, and Arabic (Edexcel)What do you want to be?A politician (hopefully be a part of the UN)What are your predicted grades?C in Biology, B in chemistry and B in Arabic What grades do you want to get?Hoping for an A in Biology, and a B in the othersIf you're going to university what are your firm and insurance choice(s) and offer(s)?University of Amsterdam - political science ( if I don’t get the grades then a gap year it is)What do you want to do after A levels?Finally breathe after going insane about these results for the past 3 months How are you going to open your results?Probably with my friends to see if we should start applying for jobs at McDonald’s or not
Original post by MedReapp2019
Ok so im a medicine applicant and my offer is AAA but i keep thinking im going to get between AAB-BBB for some reason and i have NO IDEA of what other degree to do if i dont get in. I felt like i put my soul into my med application and im not sure if im ready to reapply again because it was too overwhelming applying the first time. What do you guys think i should do? :frown:

I’ve been looking at biomed type courses in clearing for that same reason. I know resits would always be an option but it limits your choice of medical schools that you can apply to and it also means another year at school when I didn’t actually do ‘badly’ so to speak.

I just don’t think I could do another year of interviews and entrance exams tbh 🙈
Original post by SilverWater
Do you think you'll meet your insurance choice?

Yeah, I think I’ve got A*BB which my insurance will accept - but y’know when you can’t imagine (and don’t want to) going anywhere else but your firm? Yeah... that :redface:
Anyone have any good suggestions to distract myself? All I can think about is results day and it feels like time is passing by so slowly😫
I'm in Scotland so mine are coming on Tuesday. Trying my best to forget about it, and I'm on holiday when they arrive!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Original post by lucymoose
Anyone have any good suggestions to distract myself? All I can think about is results day and it feels like time is passing by so slowly😫

I’m trying to make sure I have something planned every single day so that I can focus on that instead of results (even if it’s just like planning to bake cupcakes or something stupid like that)
Original post by MedReapp2019

Hi. Med app mom here. The fact that you don’t know what other course to do seems to show that medicine is your true desire. Yes, you could do pharmacy or radiography or nursing or any other degree, but would you be happy? You could consider applying as a post grad, but this is even more competitive. Take a big breath and think. I know how vile the application process is, I’ve lived through it, but it’s just something you all have to get through. So, firstly - wait and see what your results are - you might be suprised and if you are, then great, job done. Secondly - a gap year could be a good thing - you can retake any that you might have just missed and do lots of stuff that will really help you (gap medics, get a part time job in a nursing home etc.) all this will help you with the next round of applications and let you develop a bit more. Thirdly - you would know what’s coming, so it won’t be as stressful as the first time round and finally - you can spend the year thinking of what you would really like to study, if medicine is not an immediate option, rather than taking a last minute place on a course that might not suit you. There are lots of people feeling exactly the same as you - I have one at home 😬 - just try to relax, your life will be fabulous, whatever happens. Good luck xx
I’ve been looking at biomed type courses in clearing for that same reason. I know resits would always be an option but it limits your choice of medical schools that you can apply to and it also means another year at school when I didn’t actually do ‘badly’ so to speak.

I just don’t think I could do another year of interviews and entrance exams tbh 🙈

The thing is i know a lot of biomed grads who arent able to find jobs so i dont want to apply to that course.
I dread to sit the UKCAT again and the fact that i get less uni options worries me so much because i wont be guaranteed a better chance of getting an offer if i reapply. Im so angry because i did good in 2/3 of my biology exams but i screwed up OCR paper 1 which EVERYBODY found easy. Legit think i got like C or D in that paper :frown: and im so sad because i went into the exam ready to get my predicted A*. I dont know what to do now :frown: should i search for another career now or wait for results day then decide? :'(
Original post by Mamamitwix
Hi. Med app mom here. The fact that you don’t know what other course to do seems to show that medicine is your true desire. Yes, you could do pharmacy or radiography or nursing or any other degree, but would you be happy? You could consider applying as a post grad, but this is even more competitive. Take a big breath and think. I know how vile the application process is, I’ve lived through it, but it’s just something you all have to get through. So, firstly - wait and see what your results are - you might be suprised and if you are, then great, job done. Secondly - a gap year could be a good thing - you can retake any that you might have just missed and do lots of stuff that will really help you (gap medics, get a part time job in a nursing home etc.) all this will help you with the next round of applications and let you develop a bit more. Thirdly - you would know what’s coming, so it won’t be as stressful as the first time round and finally - you can spend the year thinking of what you would really like to study, if medicine is not an immediate option, rather than taking a last minute place on a course that might not suit you. There are lots of people feeling exactly the same as you - I have one at home 😬 - just try to relax, your life will be fabulous, whatever happens. Good luck xx

The thing is that now, because i messed up one of my three exams, if i dont get my A i have to resit the WHOLE alevel, not only the exam i messed up on so it adds more pressure. My college doesnt allow resits so i'll have to be a private candidate elsewhere and i cant pay for it financially :frown: I feel so uncertain because Biology is such an abstract A-level so i can get anywhere between an A and B, that uncertainty is giving me anxiety and incase you havent noticed my original post was at like 2am because i literally cannot sleep any more. I just want to know my results even if i fail because i legit have no other career plan but im not mentally ready to resit my alevels and reapply for medicine especially after all the nervous breakdowns i had from the ukcat, interviews and exams. I really dont know what to do with myself any more :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest