Mitch8199
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shonner)
how does the CPU work
What's your exam board?
Basically it fetches the instructions from memory, decodes the instruction then executes it. Calculations are performed in the arithmetic logic unit, the answers are then stored in the accumulator. Copies of commonly used instructions are store in the cache.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
  • Contents of the PC are sent to the MAR,
  • Memory address stored in the MAR is placed on the Address Bus and sent to main memory (RAM),
  • Instruction at this address is placed on the Data Bus and sent to the MBR - simultaneously, the contents of the PC are incremented to point to the next instruction to be fetched,
  • Contents of the MBR are sent to the CIR - this is to clear the MBR for the next fetch cycle, else the current MBR contents would be overwritten,
  • Contents of the CIR are decoded into opcode and operand,
  • Opcode and operand are sent to the ALU where they're executed,
  • Result of this execution stored in the accumulator (ACC)

I would imagine this explanation is valid for both GCSE and A Level, on any exam board.
dipper_19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
did my computer science exam lst month - ive alredy forgotten this **** ... not gonna get good results i guess lool
bvfh.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dipper_19)
did my computer science exam lst month - ive alredy forgotten this **** ... not gonna get good results i guess lool
same lool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
22.16%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (81)
48.5%
I'm unsure (49)
29.34%

Watched Threads