The Student Room Group

Help! I don't know what to do with uni choices and life in general!!!!

So before receiving my GCSE's I've always wanted to do Medicine at uni as my ultimate goal in life is to help others. After receiving them my college said no because I got a c in maths. So at the beginning of the year, I thought about doing English at university and becoming a secondary school English teacher. My brother who is training to become a teacher heavily advises me not to do it unless I really want to become a teacher and if I have a passion for teaching - which I don't I always saw it as a backup plan. I am struggling to get through English literature right now and don't know what to do at university.

So please wonderful person who is reading this long message, please help me out. I have to decide what I want to do before the 13th of July. I'm absolutely clueless as to what to do.
Reply 1
What are your other A level choices? If your taking some sciences like chemistry you could still apply for medicine. Or take another science related course
just do biomed and then transfer after if u want, u can help people there too
Original post by booklover24
So before receiving my GCSE's I've always wanted to do Medicine at uni as my ultimate goal in life is to help others. After receiving them my college said no because I got a c in maths. So at the beginning of the year, I thought about doing English at university and becoming a secondary school English teacher. My brother who is training to become a teacher heavily advises me not to do it unless I really want to become a teacher and if I have a passion for teaching - which I don't I always saw it as a backup plan. I am struggling to get through English literature right now and don't know what to do at university.

So please wonderful person who is reading this long message, please help me out. I have to decide what I want to do before the 13th of July. I'm absolutely clueless as to what to do.

Hi there

It’s great that you are seriously considering your options, university is a big step and putting serious thought into it and asking friends and family is certainly a good idea.

From what you’re saying it sounds like you still need to figure out a direction that you are passionate about and then plan from there. Why don’t you try a job match quiz to give you some ideas? You can find a really useful one on the National Careers Service website where it goes into lots of depth about what motivates you and what you want out of a job, such as helping people or a good work-life balance. The benefit is if you create an account you can do it a bit at a time and save your progress, and the answers can make you think of possibilities you never knew existed!

You can then look at the job profiles on the same website to research a little further and you could call, text, email or webchat with our friendly, expert advisers to help you plan your next steps. They are available 8am to 10pm every day and there’s no limit to the amount of times you can use the National Careers Service to help you achieve your career goals, we can help you every step of the way.

More information is here https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home or give them a ring on 0800 100 900

I hope this helps!
Rosy
Since you wanted to do medicine why not do another medical related course slightly less demanding than being a doctor.

Say Occupational therapy, Nursing.

Nursing can give you many different options to do after you qualify and you can rise to Nurse Practioner/Tutor at University.
There is also a shortage of nurses nationally as it is an in demand skill.

This is very important as you are very likely to get a job after graduation.
You seem to have an interest/passion for this area so consider other options.

If you have not picked the right Alevels then consider an access course.

If you feel that your GCSE maths grade is holding you back why not retake for a higher grade?
Also consider medical careers in RAF, Army, Navy as no degree debt, fully paid training and salaries for student nurses.
Low cost living and travel the world.
Reply 6
Original post by HNG7
What are your other A level choices? If your taking some sciences like chemistry you could still apply for medicine. Or take another science related course

I'm doing Sociology, Government and Politics along with English Literature.

Unfortunately my college didn't let me take science because of my maths grade even though i got my A's in science :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by LouiseRu
Since you wanted to do medicine why not do another medical related course slightly less demanding than being a doctor.

Say Occupational therapy, Nursing.

Nursing can give you many different options to do after you qualify and you can rise to Nurse Practioner/Tutor at University.
There is also a shortage of nurses nationally as it is an in demand skill.

This is very important as you are very likely to get a job after graduation.
You seem to have an interest/passion for this area so consider other options.

If you have not picked the right Alevels then consider an access course.

If you feel that your GCSE maths grade is holding you back why not retake for a higher grade?

My college has this policy where you can only do retakes if you've achieved a grade lower than D. Because I got C I'm stuck with it.
retake somewhere else, doesn't have to be at your college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending