Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m in year 12 and I am (or rather was, depending if I continue) doing: biology, chemistry, maths and english lit. I was doing fine with all my subjects until this morning.

Specifically my maths mock.

Which I didn’t finish, wrote rubbish and basically failed.

Opinions?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    I’m in year 12 and I am (or rather was, depending if I continue) doing: biology, chemistry, maths and english lit. I was doing fine with all my subjects until this morning.

Specifically my maths mock.

Which I didn’t finish, wrote rubbish and basically failed.

Opinions?
    Ask your school. talk to the teacher and work out where your maths studies are. They might say you can improve or you might decide you are struggling and are better off focusing on the other three.

Sort it out before you break up as you can catch up in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ask your school. talk to the teacher and work out where your maths studies are. They might say you can improve or you might decide you are struggling and are better off focusing on the other three.

Sort it out before you break up as you can catch up in the summer.
    Thanks for that. I kinda just panicked since it’s going to be my predicted grade. Hope paper 2 is better. Do you know if it’s possible to do the As exam in year 13 if I do end up dropping it?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    Thanks for that. I kinda just panicked since it’s going to be my predicted grade. Hope paper 2 is better. Do you know if it’s possible to do the As exam in year 13 if I do end up dropping it?
    Yes, but an AS is of very limited use. You can catch up / repair in the summer if you are determined and smart.

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to someone at your school.

ReputationRep:
    Way too late. Without restarting the whole year and taking different subjects. There would be WAY too much to catch up on.But you could restart and take a different subject (maybe carry bio, chem, and eng lit forward so you can still take the a levels at the end of next year).Also don't stress too much. I'm year 12 and my Spanish speaking mock the other day went awful, but focus on that you have a whole year to study and improve it. So restart if you want, but that's another whole year of your life. If you do restart, it won't be the end of the world.Actually, because you are doing 4 A Levels and only need 3 for uni, u might be able to drop it. My previous advice was more for someone taking 3 A Levels. Talk to your teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes, but an AS is of very limited use. You can catch up / repair in the summer if you are determined and smart.
    Yeah I think I’ll give A-level maths my best shot and if not drop it. If I’m lucky, statistics will redeem me.👌🏾

(Original post by Zaspo)
    Try talking to someone at your school.
    I’ll try and find my maths teacher after my second paper, to see what he thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. First of all, you don't have your results so deep breath, the parts you did may have gone pretty good.

Second, definitely talk to your school about your options. If maths isn't relating to what you want to be doing after A levels (you don't need it for uni etc.) then it's up to you if you drop it, but if your teachers think you can do it then it's really up to you. Also, most people leave with 3 A levels anyway so you won't be doing less than average, cause even 3 is hard enough :/

And about the resits, I'm not 100% since I did the last year of separate AS and A2 for maths (last year) but I re-sat 2 of the 3 AS maths papers to get my overall A Level grade up and my school were fine with it if I paid for the extra entrances.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioparade)
    Hey. First of all, you don't have your results so deep breath, the parts you did may have gone pretty good.

Second, definitely talk to your school about your options. If maths isn't relating to what you want to be doing after A levels (you don't need it for uni etc.) then it's up to you if you drop it, but if your teachers think you can do it then it's really up to you. Also, most people leave with 3 A levels anyway so you won't be doing less than average, cause even 3 is hard enough :/

And about the resits, I'm not 100% since I did the last year of separate AS and A2 for maths (last year) but I re-sat 2 of the 3 AS maths papers to get my overall A Level grade up and my school were fine with it if I paid for the extra entrances.

Good luck!
    Thank you 🙏

I have taken a deep breath and realised that I’m jumping ahead of myself. Maths isn’t the be all or end all, so I’ll look at my grade and talk to the school before I tear my dreams up already.

Unfortunately, my cohort has to go through the new A-level system. We do all the exams at the end of year 13. So whatever we get then is our grade, no resits unless someone is planning on retaking year 13.

I feel a lot better now. Thank you all.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.