Application for Medicine after gap year Watch

This discussion is closed.
yujin00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
If I were to take a gap year then apply in October 2019 for Medicine but still apply this January 2019 for alternative courses, such as BioMed, would applying in January affect my Medicine application in any way in October?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yujin00)
If I were to take a gap year then apply in October 2019 for Medicine but still apply this January 2019 for alternative courses, such as BioMed, would applying in January affect my Medicine application in any way in October?
Why would you do that?
yujin00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Why would you do that?
I'm not really decided on what to do for university yet. My predicted grades aren't the best and I don't think I'll be able to get into Medicine with it if I apply this year. Also, I haven't done the UKCAT or the BMAT and I don't have enough work experience. If my actual A-level grades are good enough to get into Medicine, I want to take a gap year and then apply for it. However, if my grades aren't good enough, then I will just go with the alternative courses that I applied for.
Ecds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If I'm understanding you correctly then it is possible. Apply for university courses such as biomed this upcoming January (2019) for entry in September 2019. Work on a good and strong application for these courses and hopefully you'll get some offers. Once you have handed you UCAS application in then focus all your energy on revising for your A levels and maybe get some work experience lined up for summer in addition to some volunteering in care homes etc. Once your exams are over then start some preparatory reading for biomedical sciences as this would help you in both outcomes (taking a gap year or accepting any offers).

Once your results are in you can decide whether to take up your offer or you can withdraw; tell your university that you think a gap year would benefit you etc. At this point you will have to start a new UCAS application for 2020 entry for medicine. You'll need to book a sitting for the UKCAT and maybe BMAT (depends on the uni) and focus a lot on practicing for these entrance exams.

Applying for medicine requires a lot of time and effort. You need to be aware of what you're getting yourself into for sure both degree wise and what you'll be doing as a future doctor. Whilst waiting for your A level results then be sure to visit some medicine open days.

Also make sure to look at admission statistics - some universities place a lot of weight upon GCSEs (e.g. Oxford) whilst others focus more upon UKCAT or BMAT.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with regards to information into applying to med school and taking a gap year; if you have any questions then feel free to PM me

I applied for medicine in October 2016 for 2017 entry and received 2 offers. I had firmed my offer to study medicine at Bristol but after I received my A level results I decided to pursue my dream and re-apply to Oxford (I was rejected first time round due to poor BMAT scores). I took an impromptu gap year and re-applied in October 2017. In October I will be going to Oxford to study medicine and completely think taking a gap year is 100% worth while. I didn't do anything like travelling but I worked a lot and I've found it to be invaluable experience wise. Again - if you have any other questions give me a shout 😊

Sorry for the essay!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads