Psychology or English Literature for A-levels?

Watch
lavenderlife
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have applied to do biology, chemistry and english literature for a level but I don't know whether to do english literature or psychology. Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of psychology and english literature .It would be really helpful if you could answer the following .Which one has a higher workload?Which one requires more memorisation for exams? Which one is harder to get a good grade in? Which lesson is more enjoyable? Is psychology or english literature easier to manage with biology and chemistry ? Thank you
username4063626
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can tell you that there is masses of content to memorise for psychology, and I mean MASSES
Nathan Scott
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lavenderlife)
I have applied to do biology, chemistry and english literature for a level but I don't know whether to do english literature or psychology. Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of psychology and english literature .It would be really helpful if you could answer the following .Which one has a higher workload?Which one requires more memorisation for exams? Which one is harder to get a good grade in? Which lesson is more enjoyable? Is psychology or english literature easier to manage with biology and chemistry ? Thank you
English lit will be harder to get an A/A* cause it's all application/skill based, especially with your writing quality and literary analysis, whereas Psychology is primarily memory based, so if you revise consistently it shouldn't be too hard to get a good grade in.

But it all depends on you, what grade did you get in lit at GCSE and what degree do you intend on studying? If English is your strong point you shouldn't have a problem.
kodakid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it really does depend on you as an individual and your skills, but from my experience having taken both these subjects (and bio) at A level:

higher workload- psychology
more memorisation- psychology
harder to get a good grade in- psychology (I generally found English Lit easy, but that's just me)
most enjoyable lessons- both! I had really good teachers for both and was interested in both equally, though I didn't have to work nearly as hard in English as I did in psychology
easier with bio/chem- my bio and psychology courses had a very small overlap of knowledge, but since psychology is quite sciency and English is not, English might be a nice change and different set of skills

Good luck with everything
Satori Tendō
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

wow! ok I do biology, eng lit AND psychology so I hope my answer helps.
Psychology, if your doing AQA there are over 400 evaluation points you have to remember and they pick them at random. There are like over 90 topics to remember each which divides into maybe 2 or 3 detailed points. There are MANY MANY studies and statistics like literally 100 but you only need to memorise the studies of those names mentioned in the spec which I'd say is around 15 names or something. BUT the A* students can drop names of psychologists like pros lol. There is also the dreaded maths and Research methods, so If your not good at application questions /experiment questions in science and statistical tests or hate them... there's a whole topic full of that **** worth most of the marks in paper 2 in psychology.
BUT, psychology is VERY enjoyable and I found it helped me with biology and biology helped me with psychology. There's a whole section in psychology paper 2 which is based in biology. The recent paper asked about synapses and whilst everyone was lost, my biology mind was very happy. They ask about neurons, hormones etc... Likewise, Biology asked about statistical tests. Even though I needed only 2 for biology, i learnt 9 in psychology so I had extra knowledge so I was happy with that also. They complement each other so well.

English Literature... If your doing Edexcel. Like I did, fear not! you get the books in the exam as well as the WHOLE poem anthology, BOTH of them! You need to memorise 0 quotes. But I did memorise the page numbers so I don't fumble about. HOWEVER, any other exam board and its a different story... but unlike memorising the set facts of Psychology, English quotes are flexible and memorising a short supply can be sufficient. As well as short quotes literally 4 words can be dragged out for 1 page lol
In eng lit btw, its Drama, prose and poetry. 2 sets of each. One of my poems was 18 pages long but it was just 1 of them. The rest was normal length lol.
ALSO!! In English literature you get coursework! yayyyy. no coursework in psychology. Coursework is quite difficult though.
The bad side of English would be.... reading the god damn books. Frankenstein this Frankenstein that !! blah blah blah
Also, if your the type who doesn't like ambiguous mark schemes and wants to know what exactly is right and what is wrong, English may not be for you.
GeorgeHodges
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pros of Lit: can BS your way through the course.
Cons of Lit: reading. A LOT of reading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.11%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (649)
49.24%

Watched Threads