The Student Room Group

How to become game developer?

Above^
Original post by Student1191
Above^

Job Descriptions:

Game developers are exactly what they sound like the individuals who develop video games. The talents of several people get into the creating of a game. These include but not limited to: software developers, programmers, programmers, and testers.

Programmers:

A programming team is involved in designing a computer program through planning and coding of software. Within the team, there might be individuals who might have the following titles like graphics engine programming, AI programmers, and tool programmers.

Programmers need to translate ideas making use of numeric equations. The video game industry is very competitive. Programmers with 3-D skills and AI expertise have the highest demand in the industry.

Skills Required:

One of the essential skills needed to become a programmer is excellence in math and computer skills.

Courses in linear algebra, trigonometry, and analytical geometry are all extremely helpful when you think of becoming a programmer in the video gaming industry. Game programmers must have skill and experience in the use of C and C++ languages which are the most often used language in the industry.

Click Here to Read Full Article Here : Career Guidance: Explore The Careers In The Gaming Industry
Reply 2
How I became a game developer was self-taught. Internet has unending possibilities these days.

To begin with, I was a gaming enthusiast from my little days (I'm 25 now). Together with my friends we even used to participate in online gaming tournaments of WoW, LoL, etc. All this time I was dreaming about how cool it would be to learn how to create games by myself but I knew how difficult it is... However, I decided to still at least try it and begun with taking online courses/tutorials. Step-by-step, I was able to learn programming basics and game development and now I even work for one company operating in this field.

You won't believe how many online sources you can find these days to study various topics and, saying it from my experience, you can really learn how to code by yourself! Therefore, here are some sources which I found the most useful:

Online video courses on game development: https://www.bitdegree.org/tag/game-dev
Gamified programming lessons: https://codecombat.com/

I suggest you using both of these sites as in Bitdegree you can get a lot of useful knowledge by doing various tasks and in CodeCombat you will be playing a game and coding at the same time. Good luck!
You could start with Harvard University's game development track (Both of these are free, ignore the paid-certificates - choose the 'Audit' option):

Start here with their 'intro' course, the prerequisite for Part 2: https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
Part 2 is specific to Game programming: https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-to-game-development

Also try this from Michigan State University, which focuses on game design using Unity3D (again, free content, ignore paid certificates, choose 'Audit'):
https://www.coursera.org/specializations/game-development

Aside from that - becoming a game developer is all about ... developing games! Learn the technical skills and then sit down with the tools to work on your ideas. Companies looking to hire game developers want to see evidence that you understand game design are able to start from a simple idea and turn it into a complete, playable, fun game.

To begin with, you might go creating nice simple games such as space invaders, pong, snake, battleships, draughts etc - but eventually you need to go with bigger and more complex/original games from your own ideas.

Being able to show up to job interviews with a portfolio of completed games that you've developed from scratch through all your own effort is really important (Don't go with a half-hearted effort, incomplete games and half-baked ideas don't make you look good). Even better if you can get your completed games published on a platform such as Steam.

Overall it's a lot of effort. you want to be thinking of at least 1000 hours of your own time to put in to learning all about programming and building your game development skills up. You want to be able to show off decent-sized projects which demonstrate your both your technical and design skills; so not only do you need to learn software engineering as a discipline, you need game design as a discipline too.

You need to be thinking long-term about how you're going to prove to potential employers that you've got the skills to work on their games and that you've got the right attitude -- game development is hard work and mentally very intense. Being able to stick to things, get stuff working, and continually refine a game until it's fun to play are all things that employers will look out for. As other people have mentioned, it's a competitive industry to get into, so you need to make yourself stand out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show