The Student Room Group

Will psychology textbooks include the same material as research papers

I've already asked loads of questions like this before so sorry if you've seen my previous questions, they're a bit repetitive.

I want to study psychology in a couple of years but need to get a head start as I'm a very slow learner.

I can't get my hands on any research papers and heard that they vary between different universities and lecturers anyway.

But if I study textbooks now such as Hogg and Vaughan will that include the basics of most research papers?
No. Textbooks are often based on research but not the research papers. Certain textbooks compile alot of research material though.

Where and what topic of psychology do you intend to study at what level?
Original post by Pearlfection1
No. Textbooks are often based on research but not the research papers. Certain textbooks compile alot of research material though.

Where and what topic of psychology do you intend to study at what level?

At university level, not sure what topic though, I think it's just general psychology
Oh ok. If you want a general read of first year psychology textbooks try
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-David-G-Myers/dp/1429299908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529596883&sr=8-1&keywords=david+myers+psychology

I'm studying undergraduate Psychology so feel free to ask any questions!
Oh ok. If you want a general read of first year psychology textbooks try
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-David-G-Myers/dp/1429299908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529596883&sr=8-1&keywords=david+myers+psychology

I'm studying undergraduate Psychology so feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks! I do have one question actually could you scrape a pass if you just learn textbook information for summer exams (and just use research papers for essays)
Original post by Mayavalentine
Thanks! I do have one question actually could you scrape a pass if you just learn textbook information for summer exams (and just use research papers for essays)

No, you need a balance and mixture between what you use and where you use it. You'll find that some lecturers throw alot of information from past research at you however others use solely theory and hypothetical environments.

In these terms, my best advice is that you use research and textbooks where relevant in your studies. But know them both- often with topics such as Social Psychology there are just an odd number of studies you need to know, and then the theories not every study out there.
I'd be careful trying to buy textbooks so early on. Not only are they rather expensive, but there's no guarantee that the content from the textbook would coincide with the university course you get onto. This is coming from a psychology student who bought the recommended textbooks for their course and very rarely used them.

In addition, research papers themselves often contain quite a bit of jargon that may be a bit difficult to understand at your level. However, I'd recommend that if you want to get into reading some psychological research available to lay audiences you can get it from places such as the British Psychological Society or the Association for Psychological Science.

Getting into the habit of reading research and staying updated is good, however trying to learn anything too specific at this stage probably won't be too helpful.

Best of luck :smile:
No, you need a balance and mixture between what you use and where you use it. You'll find that some lecturers throw alot of information from past research at you however others use solely theory and hypothetical environments.

In these terms, my best advice is that you use research and textbooks where relevant in your studies. But know them both- often with topics such as Social Psychology there are just an odd number of studies you need to know, and then the theories not every study out there.

Sorry for rambling but how much do these research papers vary between universities and lecturers?
If i got some research papers from a friend who's currently studying psychology at Manchester met and learned those, would it be a waste of time?
They don't vary largely. But with some institutions there may be more or less you need to know.

Where are you intending on going?
I loathe at people recommending text books, this is university, not college.
@Mayavalentine, take the advice of @Claros

I didn't buy any textbooks prior, but this is an overview- which is generally about psychology not specified to uni, or course.
They don't vary largely. But with some institutions there may be more or less you need to know.

Where are you intending on going?

Hopefully Manchester Uni, whereabouts are you?

Quick Reply

Latest