I have a Grade 4 Ballet exam today! Any advice please?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have an exam later on today but I don’t feel confident AT ALL.
Does anyone have tips for Ballones (If that’s how you spell it?)?

Also I always lose marks because of my artistry since I always look like a robot and rarely smile any advice with that too please? I would love to try “perform” my exercises really well.

For our jumping section my stamina is too horrible that after one exercise I would be huffing and puffing so that when we do the rest of the exercises I would be too lazy and tired to try properly.

My legs are killing me as yesterday I had an athletic competition but now I have my Ballet exams today. So I plan to take some medicine in the morning. Unfortunately my exam is after school so I don’t think I can hold out long enough (I respect those ballerinas who can do this without whining and complaining like I am doing so).

Any tips for holding my turn outs for any exercise? I hold in my bum as I’ve been told it helps with turn out but I don’t feel like I’m doing much progress.

I don’t know how to really perform well as we have to do this boring exercise called ton leya (I can’t spell it right sorry! But it means time linking in English) and I really need to perform it so I can create any illusion that it is fun. I don’t think my body can hold out then.

Sorry for wasting anyone’s time! I’m never confident in my exams.

Is there any exercises that I should do at school to help me prepare for my exam?

Thank you in advance!!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I also sweat too easily and mostly feel too conscious about it that I would try to hide it.
day zee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This was ages ago I guess but for future reference...
1. Look the examiner in the eye every now and then (if you are in a room with other candidates, it can make her watch you -- in a good way -- and can show confidence)
2. in temps lie (don't know how to spell it either haha) to create the "performing" aspect follow your arms and have a head/eye direction with some moves with -- eg: if arms are in first, look slightly downward at them or if doing port de bras, follow your hands with your eyes or if releving, look out front
3. for allegro sections, pace yourself -- try to breath normally when you're jumping
4. for ballones (and other things too) extend your lines to make moves look more controlled (eg: pointe feet and stretch legs while finishing the move off)
5. if you have to do free work, pay attention to what the examiner is saying! when she says it to you, if it helps, mark it out with your feet on the spot or with your hands
6. if you do anything wrong or slip up, smile and don't pull a face -- if you make your face look like you know what you're doing, the examiner is less likely to question whats going on with your feet/arms (this always works haha!)

Also, what board are you doing!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by day zee)
This was ages ago I guess but for future reference...
1. Look the examiner in the eye every now and then (if you are in a room with other candidates, it can make her watch you -- in a good way -- and can show confidence)
2. in temps lie (don't know how to spell it either haha) to create the "performing" aspect follow your arms and have a head/eye direction with some moves with -- eg: if arms are in first, look slightly downward at them or if doing port de bras, follow your hands with your eyes or if releving, look out front
3. for allegro sections, pace yourself -- try to breath normally when you're jumping
4. for ballones (and other things too) extend your lines to make moves look more controlled (eg: pointe feet and stretch legs while finishing the move off)
5. if you have to do free work, pay attention to what the examiner is saying! when she says it to you, if it helps, mark it out with your feet on the spot or with your hands
6. if you do anything wrong or slip up, smile and don't pull a face -- if you make your face look like you know what you're doing, the examiner is less likely to question whats going on with your feet/arms (this always works haha!)

Also, what board are you doing!
Thank you so much!!
I’m doing ISTD(gotta double check with my teacher but I’m certain).

I passed my exam which I’m happy about (^~^ ) I did exactly what you said I shouldn’t do for 6. I went ahead of the music a little and slipped up a bit but straight away I pulled such an obvious face(>_< ). I quickly reverted to a smile but inside I was panicking just praying that it would end soon.

During my exam I stared her down with my smile - I forgot why though?

Thanks yet again as I will most certainly use your advice for my future exams(^~^ )
TechnoPirate
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's a useful tip; In a Ballet exam, don't start playing ping pong or really do anything that isn't Ballet. Or you could just forget the whole Ballet thing. I mean, you might get a good run until you're about 23/24, then you'll retire and end up teaching Ballet class for £50 every Saturday. Sunday too if you're lucky. If you're really fortunate you can do an after-school gig and do it every day.

As far as useful skills go, Ballet is quite close to the bottom. Hole digging rates higher. People are always gonna die and need a hole to go into. My figure is there are 8 billion people, which means 8 billion holes. Shouldn't be much of a shortage of work if you like to dig holes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (259)
44.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise