Marvel vs DC Watch

username2899906
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which has the best films? What about the best characters? Which has the best comic storylines? Discuss anything about which you prefer!
IHaveTakenOver
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think Marvel has the best films and DC has the better TV shows.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldfish4343)
Which has the best films? What about the best characters? Which has the best comic storylines? Discuss anything about which you prefer!
Marvel is MUCH better on the big screen. DC is MUCH better on the small screen and it's down to preference over which has the best comics.

I don't really think that point is arguable, Marvel don't really release many good animated films. Plus their TV shows aren't great compared to Justice League or Batman Animated Series. Spectacular Spider-Man was great, but that got cancelled.
as125
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Batman

End of debate
Loki_11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah DC tends to be really dark where as Marvel is funny 😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
asif007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree that Marvel make better films and DC make better TV shows. Depends what you're looking for TBH. I liked the idea of DC going for a darker tone in their films but the execution was so bad across BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League - all ended up being pretty mediocre films. Whereas I like that Marvel films are a lot of fun, very engaging and don't take themselves too seriously but still work well enough to explore different subgenres under the superhero umbrella. All the films fit into a larger narrative and it always keeps anticipation high for the next installment. Their darker tone is reserved for the Netflix TV shows like Daredevil, Punisher and Jessica Jones which have their own audience. So far I think the only good things about DC are Wonder Woman and the Gotham TV show. Let's hope Aquaman changes DC for the better when it arrives.
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marvel have the better films so far but they're also about 20 films in while DC are 5 films in. There's also a lot of changes happening at DC and they have recently hired a new guy to run the whole universe so we'll see what happens. DC have the better characters though imo so there's a lot of potential if they can find some direction.

Fox universe is underated though and may have put out the best films over anyone in the last couple years with Logan and the Deadpool films. And a bunch of the X-Men films are great too. I much prefer the tone of the X-Men films to the Marvel films as well.
AndrewSCO
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asif007)
I agree that Marvel make better films and DC make better TV shows. Depends what you're looking for TBH. I liked the idea of DC going for a darker tone in their films but the execution was so bad across BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League - all ended up being pretty mediocre films. Whereas I like that Marvel films are a lot of fun, very engaging and don't take themselves too seriously but still work well enough to explore different subgenres under the superhero umbrella. All the films fit into a larger narrative and it always keeps anticipation high for the next installment. Their darker tone is reserved for the Netflix TV shows like Daredevil, Punisher and Jessica Jones which have their own audience. So far I think the only good things about DC are Wonder Woman and the Gotham TV show. Let's hope Aquaman changes DC for the better when it arrives.
The Flash tv series was great for a few seasons as well. And Arrow is pretty popular. Not watched it yet but I've heard Black Lightning is actually pretty good too. I think Gotham is actually the least well received haha
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I prefer DC films. I prefer the darker tone. I prefer the cinematic cinematography. As they came to justice league and tried to marvel'ify it with jokes, lighter tone and other changes to aspects I was sad. It made no sense.

Marvel is still good though just feel somewhat same'ish now.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If we're talking the MCU Vs DCEU, then Marvel take it so easily that it's not even funny. If we're judging the entire body of work made based on Marvel or DC properties from any studio I still think Marvel take it, although it's a lot closer thanks to contributions of Nolan and Burton to the Batman franchise.
username3509418
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
DC, only a few good marvel ones, I hate most marvel movies but tons of good DC ones
andrey1994
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marvel. Thor is the goat.
Janso
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marvel ****s all over DC, jmo.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
marvel imo. though the aquaman trailer came out recently and it looks pretty good, maybe it'll change the stakes of the universe.
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone who says Marvel is better than DC probably just watch the movies and don't read the comic books. I will agree that Marvel has produced better films than DC over the years but let's not forget that no Marvel film won Oscars like The Dark Knight did.

DC is better than Marvel for the following reasons.

1. Superheroes are darker and more complex than Marvel. Batman is a prime example of this. Batman has a lot of psychological traumas and the death of his parents continues to haunt him. He is prone to feeling insecure about whether he is doing any good in Gotham as most of the villains just escape Arkham Asylum anyway. There have been stories where the madness of Gotham threatens to overwhelm and break him. Marvel has never come close to creating a character that can rival Batman. The closest Marvel ever came to being as dark as Batman was with their MAX imprint.

2. Villains in DC are better than Marvel. DC has iconic villains like The Joker, Bane, Scarecrow, Two-Face etc. Marvel villains are pretty forgettable.

3. The Vertigo imprint of DC. One of the best things about DC is that they have produced many comic books that aren't just superheroes. This is normally under the Vertigo imprint. Vertigo has published great comic books like V for Vendetta, Y: The Last Man, and Hellblazer.

4. Iconic story lines. Batman has been responsible for some of the darkest story lines to happen in superhero stories. E.g. when Bane broke Batman's back, the paralysis of Batgirl, and the murder of the second Robin by The Joker.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
D.C. killed themselves and any near future movies with the release of suicide squad. Such an awful movie
HenryHVR200
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ignoring the Dark Knight Trilogy as that's only on real success out of MANY flops, Marvel is miles better although I haven't enjoyed some of their newer movies like Thor Ragnarok as it was just so cheesy and what I'd call "American Humour" where they play out a joke that's not funny and for so long that it's borderline cringe. One scene would be the entire dialogue from the rock guy or when Thor's upside-down spinning around as the fiery antagonist dude is trying to speak to him.

Also to anyone saying that DC TV shows are better, I don't know what shows you're watching. The Flash and Arrow are both female dramas based around relationships and dummy **** no one cares about. They consist of 20 episodes of filler, terrible fight scenes and terrible acting.

On the other hand, Marvel shows like Daredevil, Punisher and, to a certain extent Luke Cage, are phenomenal and should not be compared to DC imo. Even Iron Fist was better than The Flash and it wasn't even that good.

I don't read comics or anything but DC is apparently better at them. All my knowledge is from TV Shows/Movies as anything else is too boring.
HenryHVR200
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Constantine2018)
Anyone who says Marvel is better than DC probably just watch the movies and don't read the comic books. I will agree that Marvel has produced better films than DC over the years but let's not forget that no Marvel film won Oscars like The Dark Knight did.

DC is better than Marvel for the following reasons.

1. Superheroes are darker and more complex than Marvel. Batman is a prime example of this. Batman has a lot of psychological traumas and the death of his parents continues to haunt him. He is prone to feeling insecure about whether he is doing any good in Gotham as most of the villains just escape Arkham Asylum anyway. There have been stories where the madness of Gotham threatens to overwhelm and break him. Marvel has never come close to creating a character that can rival Batman. The closest Marvel ever came to being as dark as Batman was with their MAX imprint.

2. Villains in DC are better than Marvel. DC has iconic villains like The Joker, Bane, Scarecrow, Two-Face etc. Marvel villains are pretty forgettable.

3. The Vertigo imprint of DC. One of the best things about DC is that they have produced many comic books that aren't just superheroes. This is normally under the Vertigo imprint. Vertigo has published great comic books like V for Vendetta, Y: The Last Man, and Hellblazer.

4. Iconic story lines. Batman has been responsible for some of the darkest story lines to happen in superhero stories. E.g. when Bane broke Batman's back, the paralysis of Batgirl, and the murder of the second Robin by The Joker.
I definitely agree with that but none of this really translates well in their movies so I'd still say Marvel is better although I really want to prefer DC as I see Marvel as more a kids thing whereas DC is a lot more complex and made more for teenagers/adults. Their villains are definitely superior to Marvel villains although I do think Marvel has better superheroes to a certain extent, in that they're unique whereas DC superheroes usually follow the same traits of being insanely strong and always right in addition to all wearing masks and portraying themselves as Gods. I do still prefer DC superheroes based on what powers they have though.
alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
DC probably has better comics (haven't read comics from either company in a while) but Marvel absolutely owns the movie/TV game. Early seasons of Flash and Arrow were great but they've become awful and Gotham has just been a joke. Marvel has the Netflix shows as well as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Runaways within the MCU and Legion on FX which is probably the best comic book show ever made.

As for movies it's just not even close. I actually love Man of Steel (waaaaay better than Iron Man 3 and Thor Dark World which came out in the same year) and Wonder Woman was also great but the other 3 movies have either been absolute duds or total dumpster fires and don't leave me with much hope for Aquabro and Shazam.
AndrewSCO
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
DC probably has better comics (haven't read comics from either company in a while) but Marvel absolutely owns the movie/TV game. Early seasons of Flash and Arrow were great but they've become awful and Gotham has just been a joke. Marvel has the Netflix shows as well as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Runaways within the MCU and Legion on FX which is probably the best comic book show ever made.

As for movies it's just not even close. I actually love Man of Steel (waaaaay better than Iron Man 3 and Thor Dark World which came out in the same year) and Wonder Woman was also great but the other 3 movies have either been absolute duds or total dumpster fires and don't leave me with much hope for Aquabro and Shazam.
Marvel doesn't make Legion.

Also with Aquaman and Shazam, we're not exiting the Zack Snyder era of the DCEU and moving on with new directors and new executives running the universe. I think they'll start moving in the right direction now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.34%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (38)
14.34%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.38%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (103)
38.87%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.28%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.79%