The Student Room Group

Failed exams in second year

I just got my results back and I failed all of the written exams I did. I didn’t do amazing last year, barely passes some even then and really struggled this year. Just don’t think I’m gonna be able to pass the resits. I have no idea what to do and my parents have no idea the situation now and during the year so I’ll also have to bring the subject up with them. I have no idea what I should do except revise more but I don’t feel motivated to revise at all. Probably still in shock and really lost. If anyone have experienced anything similar or just has advise it would be really grateful.
Original post by DarkMask09
I just got my results back and I failed all of the written exams I did. I didn’t do amazing last year, barely passes some even then and really struggled this year. Just don’t think I’m gonna be able to pass the resits. I have no idea what to do and my parents have no idea the situation now and during the year so I’ll also have to bring the subject up with them. I have no idea what I should do except revise more but I don’t feel motivated to revise at all. Probably still in shock and really lost. If anyone have experienced anything similar or just has advise it would be really grateful.

First of all I would give yourself a day or two to calm down. After this, you have the chance to resit, so make yourself a revision timetable and really stick to it.

As you've used two years of student finance, if you don't pass this year, your options for getting a degree are limited. Have you spoken to the uni about what happens if you fail resits?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
First of all I would give yourself a day or two to calm down. After this, you have the chance to resit, so make yourself a revision timetable and really stick to it.

As you've used two years of student finance, if you don't pass this year, your options for getting a degree are limited. Have you spoken to the uni about what happens if you fail resits?

If I fail the resits then I’m out for good. We only get one resit chance for my course. And that why I’m worried cause what next if I fail any of them? I don’t even know how my parents would react or what to do myself?
If I fail the resits then I’m out for good. We only get one resit chance for my course. And that why I’m worried cause what next if I fail any of them? I don’t even know how my parents would react or what to do myself?

Better get revising

I think honestly put everything you've got into the resits, were you far off passing?

You probably can't focus on both revising and sorting out plan B, and if you fail, there will be plenty of time for plan B. I would tell your parents though unless they're particularly strict/abusive/overbearing. Any normal parent would want to be supportive and helpful about this. They may be a little disappointed, but they shouldn't show this to you.

As a plan B, there are lots of options. There are some great non-graduate careers, or you may be able to transfer your first year credits to another uni- but either way you can worry about this after resits.
i think u should question if ur really cut out for it
ppl say dont give up, follow ur dreams, try harder and all that but sometimes u just dont have what it takes
i got a good degree but my dream would have been to study engineering but i am man enough to say yes i just dont have the ability to study it and yeah i could have persevered and gave it everything but one questions if i ever would have got out the starting gates
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies, I actually got an email telling me I’d need to repeat the modules I failed (so I’d basically repeat the year). I do think this is a better opportunity but right now I don’t think I can actually make it through the whole course and graduate. I really want to discuss this with someone but I’m to embarrassed to bring it up with friends and I’m still worried about me parents reaction. I’ve been dropping hints that the exams didn’t go so well but I can’t bring myself to tell them that I failed the year (esp being from an asian family). Any ideas?
Thanks for the replies, I actually got an email telling me I’d need to repeat the modules I failed (so I’d basically repeat the year). I do think this is a better opportunity but right now I don’t think I can actually make it through the whole course and graduate. I really want to discuss this with someone but I’m to embarrassed to bring it up with friends and I’m still worried about me parents reaction. I’ve been dropping hints that the exams didn’t go so well but I can’t bring myself to tell them that I failed the year (esp being from an asian family). Any ideas?

Do you have a personal tutor? That is the person I'd suggest speaking to.

How hard did you work? Are you enjoying the course? How close to a pass were you?

Please talk to your parents - they won't want you to be unhappy.
I would definitely tell your parents as there is no point bottling up your feelings and making yourself even more stressed out. You need all the support right now and they might have some good advice as well.

Is it possible for you to arrange a meeting with your studies advisor so that you can speak in more detail about what went wrong in this set of exams. Alternatively speak to each of the course convenors in order to understand your weaknesses and to learn what to do better for the resits.

Just don't get yourself more upset by thinking of the worst case scenario with your resits. Just give it your all and see what happens, at least then you can say you never tried your best.

Good luck :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending