The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Working and how many days a week study for a surveyor?

So I’m attending ntu in September to study building surveying but will need a part time job or to somehow carry on my job decorating in between.

I have two kids and have to live on my own so will need work to afford my bills. I was wondering if anyone else has studied building surveying and what their time table was like roughly. Understandably different unis have their own ways but I was wondering if i should expect a full day off mid week as this is what I am hoping for. I can work a full day once a week on twice the money I’d get for doing a whole weekend at a bar or something and never miss out on my kids. Also what anyone’s time table was like so I could get some sort of idea of the the work load?

Any replies welcome,
Grant
Original post by Morgi_92
So I’m attending ntu in September to study building surveying but will need a part time job or to somehow carry on my job decorating in between.

I have two kids and have to live on my own so will need work to afford my bills. I was wondering if anyone else has studied building surveying and what their time table was like roughly. Understandably different unis have their own ways but I was wondering if i should expect a full day off mid week as this is what I am hoping for. I can work a full day once a week on twice the money I’d get for doing a whole weekend at a bar or something and never miss out on my kids. Also what anyone’s time table was like so I could get some sort of idea of the the work load?

Any replies welcome,
Grant

Hi Grant

It's hard to say what exactly your timetable will be like - in your first year, you can expect to have between 8-12 hours of contact time with workshops/seminars/lectures.

You normally have a timetable over 4 days of the week but as timetables are confirmed in September I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can help any further!

Chris - NTU rep
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Yo,

I've just finished my first year of Building Surveying (full time) course and quite consistently there was 4 modules consisting of 12 hours of lectures and seminars with one day free (typically).
Sometimes lectures may be moved around but you will know in advance which will allow you to plan around that (say on average 3 hours a day most weeks unless the lessons are moved around).
At the beginning of your year you will only be doing 2 modules where the timetable is much more scattered but you will be typically having 8-10 hours a week with one day free.

On the NTU app, which you will have to download when you start, there is a timetable feature which shows your timetable weeks in advance aswell, which may help you plan out your free time (with your kids and job).

In terms of coursework and exams it is definitely possible to spend time with your kids, work and relax and still achieve high grades. It just depends on how much research you want to do and how well you learn.

Also another note to be made on a part time job, the university has services to help you find a part time job if you can't keep your current one.

Hope this is helpful and you have fun!

Dave (Dinocrunch)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending