The Student Room Group

Graduate Medicine

Hello guys!

So I’m so confused at the moment and I will appreciate any help and advices on what to do! I just graduated with 2:2 Human biology honours, and this is where my problems start. I want to study medicine, I’m very passionate about it, however, I know with this degree my choices are very limited. I will have a gap year now, and will apply in September 2018 for 2019 entry. So far I have a few months experience of shadowing a doctor. I want to sit both GAMSAT and UKCAT in September and gain a lot of health related experience, so I can compensate a little bit for my degree. I’ve looked at some universities, but found that only one of them accept 2:2 honours (Nottingham University).
What do you guys think would be the best thing to do? As a backup plan I decided to apply for Physician associate course, but still want to try and get into med school next year.
Any advices will be much appreciated!

I’m also willing to buy any helpful materials for GAMSAT!

Thank you in advance!
Annie
Reply 1
Original post by Volibear
Well you have Nottingham. Be aware that you need to get higher in the GAMSAT than someone with a 2:1. You could also consider a postgraduate degree and apply to the med schools which accept them in place of a 2:1.

Yeah but I feel like applying for only one uni isn’t the best idea. Yes, I still consider doing a masters degree and then apply for med schools, but I read somewhere that it would be a waste of time as most of the universities don’t consider it. That’s why I’m confused about what I should do next. Thank you for your reply!
Reply 2
Look for the ones that do. For example Swansea, SGUL and King's. It may not be many but it will give you at least four choices.

Out of curiosity, why are you sitting the UKCAT?

Will definitely have a look, but I’m not sure if I can even do that, because most of the universities again require 2:1 for masters in biology.
I wanted to sit UKCAT so I can apply for other universities apart from Nottingham and Swansea.
Reply 3
Yes, you are right but whilst looking at masters degrees in physiology and biology, most of the universities require 2:1, maybe because I’m looking mainly for universities around my area.
I did some research and found that some people actually got into med schools which require 2:1 with 2:2. That’s why I wanted to give it a try.
Reply 4
Which medical schools are these?

Edit: Oh do you mean a 2:1 to get on to the masters? In which case I see your problem. But there are life sciences masters out there Im sure you can find which will accept a 2:2. You may need to compromise with location though.

Where did you find out this information?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Yeah, the location doesn’t bother me if I find a course that suits me.

The post I saw the other day was about Swansea, Nottingham, St. George’s and Plymouth. Not sure where tbh, but the person had loads of experience in NHS. So I wanted to give it a try and see if it happens or not.

Quick Reply

Latest