The Student Room Group

An Unconditional offer, a poor university grades as a non-UK/EU

Dear good people,

I have never fully been able to excel in my studies ever since I joined my university. I was homesick, battled suicidal urge and depression throughout the years while at the same time somehow managed to feed to my impetuous passion for coding and technical superiority. But I naively chose a university/degree that didn't quite reflect what I wanted to work with in my life.

Luckily, I managed to fulfill a placement year at IBM and a 6-month part-time internship at 2-sigma. My passions paid of in a big way while my results were not.

I'm hoping to get a 2:2 or a 3rd at worst. I am waiting for my results right now and have managed to secure an unconditional job offer at Ubisoft.

Now the company is going to sponsor my Tier-2 from my Tier-4. Is my result going to stop me from getting a Tier-2?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by hardsell
Dear good people,

I have never fully been able to excel in my studies ever since I joined my university. I was homesick, battled suicidal urge and depression throughout the years while at the same time somehow managed to feed to my impetuous passion for coding and technical superiority. But I naively chose a university/degree that didn't quite reflect what I wanted to work with in my life.

Luckily, I managed to fulfill a placement year at IBM and a 6-month part-time internship at 2-sigma. My passions paid of in a big way while my results were not.

I'm hoping to get a 2:2 or a 3rd at worst. I am waiting for my results right now and have managed to secure an unconditional job offer at Ubisoft.

Now the company is going to sponsor my Tier-2 from my Tier-4. Is my result going to stop me from getting a Tier-2?

Thanks in advance.

To get a placement at IBM is really good. So well done! We don’t know if your results could affect it, since your circumstances could also affect this too. Probably best to sit tight and hope for the best, else you could call the company and explain your situation.
Original post by MKaur18
To get a placement at IBM is really good. So well done! We don’t know if your results could affect it, since your circumstances could also affect this too. Probably best to sit tight and hope for the best, else you could call the company and explain your situation.

IBM is pretty average nowadays - they have a lot of spaces due to multiple offices scattered around the country; I personally know a ton of people who've got in this year.

2-sigma is an outstanding achievement and Ubisoft is great! I'm looking at 2sigma; what do you think made you stand out in applications?
Reply 3
Original post by hello1234512345
IBM is pretty average nowadays - they have a lot of spaces due to multiple offices scattered around the country; I personally know a ton of people who've got in this year.

2-sigma is an outstanding achievement and Ubisoft is great! I'm looking at 2sigma; what do you think made you stand out in applications?

I didn’t apply into a career in IT and Technology. But generally jobwise, some say in the selection process, they don’t look at the uni, they look at the class of the degree you got from that uni. Yes, if it is a great uni it can up your chances in getting a job, but it’s not always the case necessarily.
Reply 4
Original post by hello1234512345

Frankly, I really don't know to this date - my application wasn't too fancy. A recruiter reached me through linkedin and arranged the first competency-based phone interview and a hackerrank coding test within the first week. Then there was an on-site technical challenge int. with the pm and his vp... then there was another hackerrank systems engineering test. Finally, after a big gap (2 wks) they offered me the position.

I would suggest doing the hackerrank well... coz they will ask you in f2f int. regarding the optimization you used with a printed copy of your hackerrank code (this stunned me a little!!). The last question of which I kept incomplete but stated possible ways as a comment, coz it was TOUGH (you had to employ some sort of predictive algo given a storage address range from scratch) and the given time wasn't enough.

The net. eng test was alright - easy fill in the blanks and MCQs. regarding IP addressing, DHCP, Linux systems perf. and comms, security etc.

The on-site was basically asking about my past personal and placements projects and the algo (they'll only try to assess your knowledge depth here). My interview was meant to be 1 hour, mine was over 2. I knew right then if I got it when they told me about their teams and asked abt my preference of whichever I wanted to work in.

My position was an infrastructure role aiding the operations team with infra. automation.
Reply 5
Got a 2:2 degree with honors which could be boosted to a 2:1 after module discounting... hope things will be alright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending