Which college shall I go to? Further away or close?

Watch
maeneedhelp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I have finished school and I'm now deciding what college to go to. I have applied for a few colleges however two are in my 'shortlist'. One being Godalming College and the other Havant and Southdowns College. It would take about 30 minutes to get to Havant... and an hour to get to Godalming. I really want to go to Godalming, however, I'm worried about the journey and the workload, as I feel I may be straining myself.

Alternatively, Havant and Southdowns colleges have recently merged. At my interview, they said one of my courses would be at the Southdowns campus and my other two at the Havant campus, meaning I would have to travel 15 minutes in between lessons.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my dilemma. Thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maeneedhelp)
Hi, so I have finished school and I'm now deciding what college to go to. I have applied for a few colleges however two are in my 'shortlist'. One being Godalming College and the other Havant and Southdowns College. It would take about 30 minutes to get to Havant... and an hour to get to Godalming. I really want to go to Godalming, however, I'm worried about the journey and the workload, as I feel I may be straining myself.

Alternatively, Havant and Southdowns colleges have recently merged. At my interview, they said one of my courses would be at the Southdowns campus and my other two at the Havant campus, meaning I would have to travel 15 minutes in between lessons.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my dilemma. Thanks!
https://www.compare-school-performan...ool-in-england

Check them each here, look at the oftsted rating and average A level score.

Go to the open days.

Do the journey and see how it feels.
loginrunner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I travelled about 1 hour and 20 mins to and from Godalming college by a bus and a train. The journey is quite annoying at winter because lessons can run up until quarter past four so by the time I get home in winter it's dark already, however I managed my work fine and I can assure you that Godalming College is a really good college.
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go to the college you want to go to because you'll be much happier, the extra journey is always worth it when it means something better
maeneedhelp
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
https://www.compare-school-performan...ool-in-england

Check them each here, look at the oftsted rating and average A level score.

Go to the open days.

Do the journey and see how it feels.
Thank you, the link really helped me!
giothevanna11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve got the same dilemma! I’ve applied to Godalming but am doubting it because of the super inconvenient journey times (both the length and the times at which trains are).

What are you thinking?
maeneedhelp
Rep:
?
(Original post by giothevanna11)
I’ve got the same dilemma! I’ve applied to Godalming but am doubting it because of the super inconvenient journey times (both the length and the times at which trains are).

What are you thinking?
Literally same!
In all honesty, I'm not entirely certain on where I want to go. I have a family friend in the year above that goes there. She said it is socially and academically good, but I fear I won't have a social life due to friends being too far away/the step up to a level being so big.
Anyway, I'm just going to wait for my results and attend the 'Going to Godalming' day on Thursday to get a general gist of the experience.
giothevanna11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maeneedhelp)
Literally same!
In all honesty, I'm not entirely certain on where I want to go. I have a family friend in the year above that goes there. She said it is socially and academically good, but I fear I won't have a social life due to friends being too far away/the step up to a level being so big.
Anyway, I'm just going to wait for my results and attend the 'Going to Godalming' day on Thursday to get a general gist of the experience.
Couldn’t relate more aha, I’m worried about all of that too. But my plan is the same, I’m also going to the G2G Day on Thursday so I’m hoping that’ll be able to help convince me one way or another.
stqrlord
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Obviously you would’ve already started college but I’m just gonna say this in case there’s future people in youre situation looking here for advice like my sister is atm: the loner journey to Godalming is 100% worth it. It takes me an hour and a half to get there and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made.

The environment is great, the teachers are great, the courses are amazing.

I’ve grown so much as a person in such a good time and I don’t even want to think about who I would be if I’d just stayed on at sixth form 30 minutes away or gone to Kingston or Esher College like I was originally considering.

I honestly can’t recommend this college enough, it’s fantastic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (64)
60.95%
No (41)
39.05%

Watched Threads