A-level Physics Watch

Baza2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. My last GCSE exam was today and I will be doing maths, further maths and physics for A-level. I want to start learning A-level physics today or tomorrow and want to get through all of it at least twice and understand it. I will be doing 2-3 hours each day from now until 5th September. What website should I use/what videos should I watch?
Tom22561
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your desire to learn physics is admirable, truly is.
But you should consider making some friends and developing socials skills instead of learning content you'll be regurgitating for a year in class. You'll be bored shi*less after a year of a level physics anyway so don't make it worse for yourself.
pinkypaz123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
None. Don't learn any AS content. The most you should do is recap GCSE stuff a little bit before you start college. Enjoy your holiday please, you don't need to get ahead because you will learn it all in class. Just relax, take time off, watch some TV and don't think about school. Please
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by pinkypaz123)
None. Don't learn any AS content. The most you should do is recap GCSE stuff a little bit before you start college. Enjoy your holiday please, you don't need to get ahead because you will learn it all in class. Just relax, take time off, watch some TV and don't think about school. Please
(Original post by Tom22561)
Your desire to learn physics is admirable, truly is.
But you should consider making some friends and developing socials skills instead of learning content you'll be regurgitating for a year in class. You'll be bored shi*less after a year of a level physics anyway so don't make it worse for yourself.
If I learn it now, college will be a lot easier.
(I'm also planning on being able to do all of A-level maths, and further maths by the end of the summer).
Tom22561
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Baza2002)
(I'm also planning on being able to do all of A-level maths, and further maths by the end of the summer).
No offence but if you need to be a year ahead in your a levels to succeed you should probably not do them. No preparation can get you through your second year and especially uni. Take this from a maths, further maths and physics student. Just relax and hang out with friends
Coords
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop ruining your life and enjoy your summer. There's a reason you got 3 ****ing months.

Im doing a level physics too and i got 7's in mocks. Maybe the last 2 weeks I'll start going over some ****. Don't ruin ur life. Your not getting this type of holiday EVER again.
pinkypaz123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It may be easier but you'll be so burnt out and bored that you won't enjoy anything. Just don't. Don't spend your holidays doing work, you will regret it
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom22561)
No offence but if you need to be a year ahead in your a levels to succeed you should probably not do them. No preparation can get you through your second year and especially uni. Take this from a maths, further maths and physics student. Just relax and hang out with friends
I don't need to be a year ahead but I want to be - I'm too lazy and don't want to need to do more work when I get home from college each day.
G552
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would be happy for you to send me through any questions you have whilst you learn it, I have finished Edexcel A-Level Physics and hopefully will be doing physics at uni, so dm me if you want anything explained.
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coords)
Stop ruining your life and enjoy your summer. There's a reason you got 3 ****ing months.

Im doing a level physics too and i got 7's in mocks. Maybe the last 2 weeks I'll start going over some ****. Don't ruin ur life. Your not getting this type of holiday EVER again.
(Original post by pinkypaz123)
It may be easier but you'll be so burnt out and bored that you won't enjoy anything. Just don't. Don't spend your holidays doing work, you will regret it
I already feel bored because I don't know what to do now I've no school and no revision. 3 months is too long to not do work
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by G552)
I would be happy for you to send me through any questions you have whilst you learn it, I have finished Edexcel A-Level Physics and hopefully will be doing it at uni, so dm me if you want anything explained.
Ok. Thank you
What do you think is the best way for me to teach myself A-level physics?
pinkypaz123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know how you feel, I felt so guilty for not doing work when I started my summer holidays but trust me when I say that nothing good comes out of teaching yourself during the holidays. Do something you haven't had time to do, take up a new hobby, start learning a language, go out with friends and relax and watch all the movies and TV you need to catch up on because once college starts, you'll regret not spending the time to relax and do nothing
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You really do need to relax. You've just finished exams. Make sure you have fun.

I didn't do anything over summer and I managed to get top grades in my AS levels (well the internal exams). Just put the work in when you're at college.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ditto other posters. Your happiness and wellbeing is priority. There is absolutely no way, no way you will cover alevel TWICE (what does this mean? This sounds like you are taking a memorisation approach, unproductive for physics) physics by 5th September, and if you do, that means you have been burned out and probably not very happy before you have started college. Cramming like that is not the correct way to understand and learn physics. These topics take time and appreciation to master.

What I do recommend is maybe reading some popular physics books. a cliche but a must one is Stephen hawkings "A brief history of time".

If youre really that keen, I'd master rearranging equations, trig ratios and start getting used to standard form and SI base units.

Some good resources are PhysicsAndMathsTutor, your exam boards specification (this should be on your college's website. if not, email them), DrAPhysics (YouTube), Cyber Physics. Just use something called Google and it will do a more than sufficient job of providing you with information.

Seriously though, chilli out for a week or so.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, if you have that much free time then find a hobby. If youre interested in physics, then there are plenty of fun opportunities, albeit dangerous at times hahahaha

try building a Tesla coil or magnetron (if it's legal?).
username3025040
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The beginning of year 12 I find is pretty hard to get used to - both in terms of subject content and general environment changes. Therefore, you might find that you get frustrated over summer by studying with no guidance. This will burn you out and lower morale - and even if you don't end up getting stuck on anything, you might still regret not taking a break and relaxing since like I said, the beginning of year 12 is difficult to get used to. You may also find that you underestimated A-levels.

That said, if you still think working over summer is a good idea, check what exam boards your school is with and look at their specifications for list of things you'll be learning.
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
Ditto other posters. Your happiness and wellbeing is priority. There is absolutely no way, no way you will cover alevel TWICE (what does this mean? This sounds like you are taking a memorisation approach, unproductive for physics) physics by 5th September, and if you do, that means you have been burned out and probably not very happy before you have started college. Cramming like that is not the correct way to understand and learn physics. These topics take time and appreciation to master.

What I do recommend is maybe reading some popular physics books. a cliche but a must one is Stephen hawkings "A brief history of time".

If youre really that keen, I'd master rearranging equations, trig ratios and start getting used to standard form and SI base units.

Some good resources are PhysicsAndMathsTutor, your exam boards specification (this should be on your college's website. if not, email them), DrAPhysics (YouTube), Cyber Physics. Just use something called Google and it will do a more than sufficient job of providing you with information.

Seriously though, chilli out for a week or so.
Thanks
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you
What do you think is the best way for me to teach myself A-level physics?
Read A level physics revision book, not to learn stuff, but to get a general idea with what you are going to do next year.

Realistically, you will not do a years worth of A level stuff in your summer holidays. If anything I wouldn't even do anything for physics. The only work I would do is for maths A level. If I were you, I would do a general recap on the algebraic side of GCSE maths and learn some simpler A level maths concepts such as differentiation.

But the most important thing is not to spend a lot of time on this stuff. Please relax and take some time off because this will probably be the longest summer holiday that you will probably ever have.

Plus: it is quite likely that the college that you are applying for will send you homework to complete over the summer term which should prepare you for A levels anyways.
Flashsav
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I already feel bored because I don't know what to do now I've no school and no revision. 3 months is too long to not do work
Same I’m planning on finish AS maths in the summer holidays I’m starting tomorrow
Baza2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by stoyfan)
Read A level physics revision book, not to learn stuff, but to get a general idea with what you are going to do next year.

Realistically, you will not do a years worth of A level stuff in your summer holidays. If anything I wouldn't even do anything for physics. The only work I would do is for maths A level. If I were you, I would do a general recap on the algebraic side of GCSE maths and learn some simpler A level maths concepts such as differentiation.

But the most important thing is not to spend a lot of time on this stuff. Please relax and take some time off because this will probably be the longest summer holiday that you will probably ever have.

Plus: it is quite likely that the college that you are applying for will send you homework to complete over the summer term which should prepare you for A levels anyways.
I've done some a level maths (in gcse further maths) like differentiation, matrices and trig identities. I am aiming to do a level maths and a level physics over the summer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (139)
61.23%
No (88)
38.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise