MSc Hydrogeology at Birmingham or Strathclyde

Watch
holi18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've applied to do MSc Hydrogeology at both University of Birmingham and University of Strathclyde, and I'm struggling to decide which one to pick. The modules at Strathclyde seem a lot more interesting and less intense than at Birmingham, but then Birmingham must look more intense for a reason. Is it better in terms of getting a job afterwards? Any input would be a massive help (including about the area, cost of living etc).
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by holi18)
I've applied to do MSc Hydrogeology at both University of Birmingham and University of Strathclyde, and I'm struggling to decide which one to pick. The modules at Strathclyde seem a lot more interesting and less intense than at Birmingham, but then Birmingham must look more intense for a reason. Is it better in terms of getting a job afterwards? Any input would be a massive help (including about the area, cost of living etc).
Ask the unis where their grads end up. Go with the course that is more interesting for you.
Ecaflip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hola, el postgrado en Birmingham lo financiaste de manera privada? Me podrías comentar cómo vas en la actualidad? Estoy por tomar la decisión entre Birmingham o Newcastle. Agradezco cualquier feedback. Gracias
holi18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yes, I’m now working as a hydrogeologist at a consultancy. I would definitely recommend the course, I learned a lot and the staff are really supportive. It’s also well recognised by employers in the industry.
Rosée
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ecaflip)
Hola, el postgrado en Birmingham lo financiaste de manera privada? Me podrías comentar cómo vas en la actualidad? Estoy por tomar la decisión entre Birmingham o Newcastle. Agradezco cualquier feedback. Graciash
Hola al final por cuál curso te decidiste? yo estoy por tomar la maestría en Hidrogeología en la universidad de Birmingham o la maestria de Applied Environmental Hydrogeology en la Universidad de Edinburgh aún no me decido bien
Rosée
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, I’m now working as a hydrogeologist at a consultancy. I would definitely recommend the course, I learned a lot and the staff are really supportive. It’s also well recognised by employers in the industry.
Hi, whic course did you take? in Which University?
holi18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rosée)
Hi, whic course did you take? in Which University?
Birmingham
Rosée
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Birmingham
How was your experience studying there, I am planning to study at University of Birmingham but I am also considering studying at Edinburgh university Hydrogeology
holi18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Rosée)
How was your experience studying there, I am planning to study at University of Birmingham but I am also considering studying at Edinburgh university Hydrogeology
I enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Some modules were hard, but there was a lot of support from the staff. The hydrogeology course at Birmingham also has a good reputation with industry.
Rosée
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Some modules were hard, but there was a lot of support from the staff. The hydrogeology course at Birmingham also has a good reputation with industry.
Thank you for your reply, which modules were the hardest in your opinion?
holi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosée)
Thank you for your reply, which modules were the hardest in your opinion?
For me personally I found the modelling modules hard, but it just depends what you’re good at
Rosée
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me personally I found the modelling modules hard, but it just depends what you’re good at
Thank you for your answer, is there any book or webpage that you can recommend me to start learning modelling before I enroll in the Msc
holi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosée)
Thank you for your answer, is there any book or webpage that you can recommend me to start learning modelling before I enroll in the Msc
I don’t have any book recommendations sorry. Maybe looking at some online tutorials/videos might help
Rosée
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t have any book recommendations sorry. Maybe looking at some online tutorials/videos might help
Thank you
holi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosée)
Thank you
I can’t remember specifics, but we used modelling software MODFLOW and MODPATH/MT3D and ran it in Groundwater Vistas. I’m not sure if they’re still teaching the same software though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%