Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What’s it like in comparison to GCSE? How much reading is involved?? Does it take up the most time out of all of your subjects??
tegs*99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I found that it took the least revision time out of my subjects as there is less “content” to learn but that doesn’t make it easier and you still have to work hard. If you like reading the reading will be fine, I covered 3 texts at AS (prose, drama and poetry anthology) and 3 texts at A2 (prose, drama and poetry anthology) and 2 texts for course work (both novels)- I thought that was ok. My main advice is if you like English then go for it you’ll love it, if not it’s not worth it, but I would give you the same advice for any subject you take. Compared to GCSE the way you analyse texts doesn’t change it’s just more in depth and you have to take into account comparisons to other extra reading texts and critics quotes aswell.
Spain!!!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hated it. Worst decision of my life. Lots of reading like read 5 books and 20 poems.
Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by tegs*99)
Personally I found that it took the least revision time out of my subjects as there is less “content” to learn but that doesn’t make it easier and you still have to work hard. If you like reading the reading will be fine, I covered 3 texts at AS (prose, drama and poetry anthology) and 3 texts at A2 (prose, drama and poetry anthology) and 2 texts for course work (both novels)- I thought that was ok. My main advice is if you like English then go for it you’ll love it, if not it’s not worth it, but I would give you the same advice for any subject you take. Compared to GCSE the way you analyse texts doesn’t change it’s just more in depth and you have to take into account comparisons to other extra reading texts and critics quotes aswell.
I personally really enjoyed English Lit A level but my brother says how he literally hates it and it was the worst choice of his life choosing it?? Idk what to do haha
username3506416
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beth286)
What’s it like in comparison to GCSE? How much reading is involved?? Does it take up the most time out of all of your subjects??
If you enjoy English Literature then do it!
But don't do it thinking it's going to be your easy or chilled out subject!
It is hard!

I do:
- 4 prose texts ( need to know inside out! One is closed book!)
- pre 1900 poetry - need to remember 14 poems
- you also have to do unseen and unseen prose
- also do coursework which is 20% where you pick to texts and a Q and write 2500 words on it... well for me anyway

It is hard and there is a lot of content that you need to remember as well as quotes key techniques etc
You need to have great essay skills because it is an essay based subject etc
If you have any specific questions feel free to message me :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.54%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (61)
12.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.54%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.5%
Financial worries (30)
5.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.97%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (50)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise