The Student Room Group

Can you sit an AS paper in November/December/January time ?

I'm considering dropping AQA Biology but don't want to give up on all the work I put it, but I've obviously missed the AS exams. They don't do resists or anything that I could sit the exam in then?
Original post by katunaz
I'm considering dropping AQA Biology but don't want to give up on all the work I put it, but I've obviously missed the AS exams. They don't do resists or anything that I could sit the exam in then?

AS exams don't count for anything so... you could ask your school to let you continue AQA Biology and then do the A-LEVEL exam in June
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
AS exams don't count for anything so... you could ask your school to let you continue AQA Biology and then do the A-LEVEL exam in June

Yeah I know, but I want to drop it to replace it with a-level history (better for the course I want to do at uni) so I thought instead of forgetting a years worth of work I could just take the AS when it wont interfere with the A2 exams
Original post by katunaz
Yeah I know, but I want to drop it to replace it with a-level history (better for the course I want to do at uni) so I thought instead of forgetting a years worth of work I could just take the AS when it wont interfere with the A2 exams

AS exams only take place in May/June
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
AS exams only take place in May/June

That's all I could fine online, which sucks for me tbh
Original post by katunaz
That's all I could fine online, which sucks for me tbh

Which course are you applying for btw? You may be able to just keep Biology
You can sit exams in November if you study with CIE board
Reply 7
Is that another a-level exam board? Like OCR for example?
Original post by katunaz

Yes it’s an exam board in its own right, Cambridge International exams are sat all over the world but you can sit them in the UK with a private centre if you wish. Unlike the reformed UK A-levels, AS levels still count towards your final A-level score
Reply 9
Thanks! Could I still use CIE to sit an AS alone?
Original post by katunaz

You’ll need to find a centre that takes private candidates near you then pay for the three AS level units that comprise the qualification. There’s two theoretical units and one practical unit in AS biology CIE, the content might be slightly different from the biology you’ve learned thus far
Original post by katunaz

Sorry, yes you can
Reply 12
Thats so helpful, thank you
Original post by katunaz

I don't think your school will enter you for an exam you haven't studied the specification for.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think your school will enter you for an exam you haven't studied the specification for.

I'd revise for it on my own accord and apply to be a private candidate at another college because mine doesn't offer CIE
Original post by katunaz
I'd revise for it on my own accord and apply to be a private candidate at another college because mine doesn't offer CIE

I'm not sure you'll find any college which takes CIE.
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
I'm not sure you'll find any college which takes CIE.

I have found one nearby, haven’t spoken to them yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest