A level choice; HELP Watch

MathsLove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
I am hoping to start my A level in September 2018, I want to study MMaths at one of the 'prestigious Unis' in the future. I have putting down Further Mathematics. Maths and Financial Studies, but I am not sure whether I will enjoy Financial Study and it is not part of entry requirement for university course I am applying for as long as I am taking A level Maths, even though almost every university states that taking Further Mathematics is highly desirable.

I want to change Financial Study to PE (Physical Education), I know taking two maths subjects with PE seems bit strange but i think will enjoy and will give me opportunity to make friends who aren't necessarily academic.

WHAT DO YOU THINK, GUYS & GIRLS. (all forms of comments are appreciated). Thanks
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MathsLove)
Hey,
I am hoping to start my A level in September 2018, I want to study MMaths at one of the 'prestigious Unis' in the future. I have putting down Further Mathematics. Maths and Financial Studies, but I am not sure whether I will enjoy Financial Study and it is not part of entry requirement for university course I am applying for as long as I am taking A level Maths, even though almost every university states that taking Further Mathematics is highly desirable.

I want to change Financial Study to PE (Physical Education), I know taking two maths subjects with PE seems bit strange but i think will enjoy and will give me opportunity to make friends who aren't necessarily academic.

WHAT DO YOU THINK, GUYS & GIRLS. (all forms of comments are appreciated). Thanks
Personally I think go for PE, as you enjoy it more and so will be able to do better/get better grades in it. Also as you mentioned it does offer a nice break from the typically mathsy subjects. But if you're intending to go to a top uni like Oxbridge I think finance might be a little better but otherwise go for PE I think. Like I intend to do computer science at uni but I decided to do biology instead of physics, although Biology has nothing to do with computers, because I hated GCSE physics but found biology interesting. I'm so so glad I did because some of my friends do physics and for me it looks horrible. Hope this helps
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You literally don't need financial studies as you'll already have the necessary subjects so the uni won't care what your third subject is. It's more what grades u get.

Without doubt take P.E.
MathsLove
Rep:
?
Thanks for your honesty oppinion
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

Which exam board is this?

Many students planning on doing maths at university choose a science A-level such as Physics. PE would be very uncommon but would probably be ok as a 3rd A-level.
GarethJ123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say taking PE will harm of getting into a university such as oxbridge or imperial but maybe wont affect your chances for some (still very highly regarded) universities. My advice would be to take a science or economics if you can. If you are certain you want to apply to top universities avoid "soft" subjects.
Pizza32
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d study me if I were a subject. Heck you all would.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MathsLove
Rep:
?
(Original post by GarethJ123)
I would say taking PE will harm of getting into a university such as oxbridge or imperial but maybe wont affect your chances for some (still very highly regarded) universities. My advice would be to take a science or economics if you can. If you are certain you want to apply to top universities avoid "soft" subjects.
I really appreciate your response but the problem I have with taking physics or other science subject is that my GCSE science grades are not satisfactory enough and do not meet the entry requirement for physics or Chemistry. The are one college that offers Physics and chemistry to students who have slightly lower grades on their GCSE Science but the college doesn't have a good reputation and I just don't think I would achieve enough grades to go to top unis at the college, due to poor staffs and lack of management associated with the college.
MathsLove
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Which exam board is this?

Many students planning on doing maths at university choose a science A-level such as Physics. PE would be very uncommon but would probably be ok as a 3rd A-level.
EDEXCEL
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
EDEXCEL
Does Edexcel offer Financial Studies as an A-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marcus_:D
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Always ask yourself- why do you want to take this subject? And that will lead to your personal choice. GCSEs and A Levels are quite different, so you really require your passion to get you through the two years rather than what your teachers think.

I’m only saying this because my Physics teacher actually said that he took and regretted economics because his teacher said he was good in the subject at GCSE level. So go with your heart and stick to it!
MathsLove
Rep:
?
Does Edexcel offer Financial Studies as an A-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not sure which exam board offers financial studies but maths subjects are awarded by Edexcel. In terms of whether FS is equivelant to an A level; it depends. In the first year you get diploma and if you continue to the second year it is an equivalent to any A level subject, that's what it was saying on the college's website.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not sure which exam board offers financial studies but maths subjects are awarded by Edexcel. In terms of whether FS is equivelant to an A level; it depends. In the first year you get diploma and if you continue to the second year it is an equivalent to any A level subject, that's what it was saying on the college's website.
If you are aiming at Oxbridge, etc I'd keep it more mainstream. Do A-level Economics or Business Studies, rather than a BTEC.
MathsLove
Rep:
?
If you are aiming at Oxbridge, etc I'd keep it more mainstream. Do A-level Economics or Business Studies, rather than a BTEC.
Thanks....
username3257996
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

Trust me, its not weird. I took Business, Economics and Chemistry and people thought that was weird

PS: I just completed my A-levels last week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads