Is being a doctor worth it ? Watch

Soniã
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I want to be a doctor but everyone’s been discouraging me and telling me the downsides of being a doctor ! I’m really confused, help me out! So is there anyone out there who think being a doctor is completely worth it and why do you think so ?
Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are the downsides? Just curious, I don’t know anything about being a doctor.
BMNS3242
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soniã)
So I want to be a doctor but everyone’s been discouraging me and telling me the downsides of being a doctor ! I’m really confused, help me out! So is there anyone out there who think being a doctor is completely worth it and why do you think so ?
tbf its up to you. I would recommend doing some work experience to understand the job and get a feel for it. You can then decide from then
as125
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you wanna be studying for 8-10 years

GO FOR IT!
Sigurd00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soniã)
I’ve had the same thing, people will think you don’t know what it’s really like when they don’t either (unless they are a doctor) and you won’t until you become one. What you can do is get lots of experience, shadow doctors, work in a care home maybe and read into the subject.
Soniã
Rep:
?
Tru but it’s too late now, I’ve to select a course and apply into a university
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why do you want to be a doctor? And what are the downsides people are telling you about?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soniã)
Tru but it’s too late now, I’ve to select a course and apply into a university
You haven't 'got to do' anything. Don't apply until you are sure. Have you done the necessary work experience?
Soniã
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You haven't 'got to do' anything. Don't apply until you are sure. Have you done the necessary work experience?
Well the university I’m applying in doesn’t need any work experience. I only need to pass an entrance exam and get certain grades in both biology and chemistry ( tho my board exam result will be out in August so I still have some time to think ) also as for work experience I’ve worked in a health care center for a while if that counts.
GrandMedic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by as125)

GO FOR IT!
People wish it was 8-10 years. Sorry to break it to you but you will be studying for a lot longer.

(Original post by Soniã)
Well the university I’m applying in doesn’t need any work experience. I only need to pass an entrance exam and get certain grades in both biology and chemistry ( tho my board exam result will be out in August so I still have some time to think ) also as for work experience I’ve worked in a health care center for a while if that counts.
Which university is this? Even if it's not an 'entry requirement', you need to talk about some of the things you've done or seen during your w/e in your personal statement and interview (if you make it to interviews). Not doing w/e will put you at a BIG disadvantage.

Working in a health centre counts as work experience though yes.
soph18xoxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the only person that can answer that question is you. If you want to be a doctor, there must be some reason that you are being pushed towards that particular career. It seems that you are being discouraged by others who are commenting on your future career choice. If you have your heart set on becoming a doctor, don’t let anything stop you.

If you are unsure yourself, gain insight into the course, get loads of work experience and read up on the subject.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think so. I'd do it again.

I suppose a lot of school students idealise it. Of course there are downsides.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soniã)
Those people are doing that with good reason. Choosing biology or English or something is choosing a 3 year degree. Choosing medicine is a lifelong career. That's a huge decision and you do need to be as certain as possible that its the right thing. Simultaneously, medicine is glamorised in various TV shows and in other ways and many people do stumble into it without being properly informed ("I've just always wanted to do medicine" )

(Original post by Soniã)
Hmm. You don't sound very informed and that will significantly affect your chances.

No med school has work experience as a requirement, but they all have it as something they expect you to have. You then talk about it in your personal statement, and your interview (which you neglected to mention, despite it being possibly the most important bit of the application to most unis).

Working in a healthcare centre may well be sufficient but its important you know how to write and talk about your experience - how to reflect on it and ascertain what you've learned. This is what gets you into med school - getting A-levels is just a minimum threshold.

Its also not really 'passing' and entrance exam - its getting the best mark you can in the UKCAT/BMAT and having that assessed alongside other criteria.

When i was applying i didn't take this stuff seriously (I didn't have any source of advice - no medical family a school that had never got anyone into medicine etc). I had 12A* at GCSE, got effectively A*A*A*AA at a-level, top 1% result in BMAT and top 5% result in UKCAT, but got rejected pre-interview for two unis, post-interview by one. Don't underestimate this stuff!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by as125)

GO FOR IT!
AS @grandmedic has said, it's lifelong certainly not just 8-10 years.

It is worth it but there are lots of obstacles, exams being one of them (that you can control yourself).

There are other things like risk of complaints / litigation, risk of errors (sometimes out of your control) etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads