The Student Room Group

Student loan decrease

Hello,

I received a maintenance loan of £12,000 in 2016/2017. I have taken a year out of uni after finding out I was pregnant. I have since had my little girl so have reapplied for finance and my loan has decreased by £5000. Am I being cheeky in following this up with them?

I live with my husband but financially makes no money. We have lived off my earnings. And now with a little one it looks unlikely I could afford to go back to uni 😢
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SophieWalton
Hello,

I received a maintenance loan of £12,000 in 2017/2018. I have taken a year out of uni after finding out I was pregnant. I have since had my little girl so have reapplied for finance and my loan has decreased by £5000. Am I being cheeky in following this up with them?

I live with my husband but financially makes no money. We have lived off my earnings. And now with a little one it looks unlikely I could afford to go back to uni 😢

You can't possibly have been allocated a maintenance loan of £12,000 in 2017/2018 as the maximum was £11,002, and that's with living away from home in London!
Original post by IWMTom
You can't possibly have been allocated a maintenance loan of £12,000 in 2017/2018 as the maximum was £11,002, and that's with living away from home in London!

2441CE73-155B-4A02-8105-9E0DC06A8FBD.png
Original post by IWMTom

Appologies, it was 2016/2017. 2017/2018 was the year I had out.
Reply 4
Appologies, it was 2016/2017. 2017/2018 was the year I had out.

Ah, were you a Nursing/Midwifery student?
Original post by IWMTom
Ah, were you a Nursing/Midwifery student?

Veterinary nursing - so I don’t think I got anything additional / special funding. Has the loans dropped in general since my initial application in 2016?
Reply 6
Veterinary nursing - so I don’t think I got anything additional / special funding. Has the loans dropped in general since my initial application in 2016?

As far as I know, a loan of £12,058 would only be given to an NHS student as a replacement to the old NHS grant system.

If you weren't supposed to receive this, that would probably explain why you're getting a different amount now.
Hello,

I received a maintenance loan of £12,000 in 2016/2017. I have taken a year out of uni after finding out I was pregnant. I have since had my little girl so have reapplied for finance and my loan has decreased by £5000. Am I being cheeky in following this up with them?

Hi Sophie,

Has your husband provided he's income details to support your application or has there been any change in your husbands income? Are you returning to your studies at the same university or college?

Thanks,

Emma.
Hello,

My husband actually declared an even smaller income this time (self employed). We actually made no income in the last financial year.

Yes, returning to the same course and same uni. I just had a year out (interrupt to study).

Original post by Emma SFE
Hi Sophie,

Has your husband provided he's income details to support your application or has there been any change in your husbands income? Are you returning to your studies at the same university or college?

Thanks,

Emma.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending