The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

What happens if...?

First year student at Westminster Business School. The course is Marketing Management.

At the Uni of Westminster Business School, students in their first year are allowed to progress onto the second year, including those who have failed or who didn't do well in one module, out of six modules, worth 20 credits each. The consequence of this, however, is that students have this module added onto their second year. A first year student can progress onto the second year, but only with one failed module, having passed the remaining modules.

I've already chosen six modules for my second year. I have completed and passed all but one of my first year modules, of which there are six. What happens should I get onto the second year with this first year incomplete module, but fail it during the second year?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILoveExo
First year student at Westminster Business School. The course is Marketing Management.

At the Uni of Westminster Business School, students in their first year are allowed to progress onto the second year, including those who have failed or who didn't do well in one module, out of six modules, worth 20 credits each. The consequence of this, however, is that students have this module added onto their second year. A first year student can progress onto the second year, but only with one failed module, having passed the remaining modules.

I've already chosen six modules for my second year. I have completed and passed all but one of my first year modules, of which there are six. What happens should I get onto the second year with this first year incomplete module, but fail it during the second year?

Hi there

First year students are allowed to progress into Year 2 with a failed 1st year module. Students then have a another opportunity to retake the module alongside their Year 2 modules. If you fail the module again in the second year what happens next will depend on whether the failed module is a core module or an optional module. If its a core module there are serious implications and you won't be able to pass your degree. If its an optional module you can choose another optional module to study and try again in Year 3. You cannot graduate until the optional module has been passed. I would suggest you contact your Faculty Registry Office to find out more information.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
It's Creating and Managing an Online Presence and it's an optional module.

So, would that mean that even if I failed this during the second year, I'd be able to do it during the third year?

By the way, are referral/deferrals available during the second year?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ILoveExo
It's Creating and Managing an Online Presence and it's an optional module.

So, would that mean that even if I failed this during the second year, I'd be able to do it during the third year?

By the way, are referral/deferrals available during the second year?

Hi

If you fail the optional module again in your 2nd Year you can take another optional module in your 3rd Year. Yes there are referrals and deferrals in July of the 2nd Year.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Hi, I am in my final year studying computer science what happens if i fail an optional module? will I need to retake the following academic year.
Original post by Jasonbrig
Hi, I am in my final year studying computer science what happens if i fail an optional module? will I need to retake the following academic year.

Hi Jason

You will have the opportunity to retake your optional choice module if you fail it in your final year. You can't graduate unless you pass the module.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 6
Hi kim, my name is ali masood and i’m computer science student and in my first year. I failed 10 credit of my core module and also faied my referal. Please could you tell me that would i be able to take this module in my 2nd year or my progression is not allowed and i have to take the whole first year?

Original post by Ali1794
Hi kim, my name is ali masood and i’m computer science student and in my first year. I failed 10 credit of my core module and also faied my referal. Please could you tell me that would i be able to take this module in my 2nd year or my progression is not allowed and i have to take the whole first year?

Hi Ali

If you fail a core module in your 1st year you are given the opportunity for a referral in the summer which is your 2nd attempt at passing the module. If you fail the referral you will be given one more attempt to pass the module. We call it a retake module (it's your 3rd and final opportunity to pass the module).
You can progress into the 2nd Year and carry this module over and you won't need to repeat the whole of the 1st year again. However you MUST pass this core module at your 3rd attempt. If you don't then you may be excluded from the university and you won't be able to finish your degree.

I would take academic advice from your personal tutor as you will have a high workload carrying over the extra module in your 2nd Year.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 8
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi Ali

If you fail a core module in your 1st year you are given the opportunity for a referral in the summer which is your 2nd attempt at passing the module. If you fail the referral you will be given one more attempt to pass the module. We call it a retake module (it's your 3rd and final opportunity to pass the module).
You can progress into the 2nd Year and carry this module over and you won't need to repeat the whole of the 1st year again. However you MUST pass this core module at your 3rd attempt. If you don't then you may be excluded from the university and you won't be able to finish your degree.

I would take academic advice from your personal tutor as you will have a high workload carrying over the extra module in your 2nd Year.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Hello Kim, thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to mention that I received a mail from the university stating β€˜progression not allowed module retriever’ with attendence. What does this mean. Please, can you clarify this and help with this problem as i dont want to waste my whole year for just one module which is a coursework module. Please reply at your earliest.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ali
Original post by Ali1794
Hello Kim, thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to mention that I received a mail from the university stating β€˜progression not allowed module retriever’ with attendence. What does this mean. Please, can you clarify this and help with this problem as i dont want to waste my whole year for just one module which is a coursework module. Please reply at your earliest.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ali

Hi Ali

The Registry Office will be able to help you more with this query and I advise you contact them. I know that if a student fails a core module and it's a large core module then it's not always possible to progress into 2nd Year. The student becomes a 'module retriever' and will spend the next year studying for just that one module. This is because the workload in the 2nd Year will be very high if you had to study a full 2nd year plus a large core module from your first year.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Hi Kim, I’m under the program of biomedical science and has just finished foundation year. I failed one module and is a β€˜module retriever’. Is it possible to move and study Year 1 and retake the module at the same time?

Hi there

If you fail an optional module (coursework or exam) at the first attempt you'll be able to re-sit the the failed component again in July. If however, you fail your re-sit again then you will need to return the following academic year as a module retriever and retake the module.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Hi there

First year students are allowed to progress into Year 2 with a failed 1st year module. Students then have a another opportunity to retake the module alongside their Year 2 modules. If you fail the module again in the second year what happens next will depend on whether the failed module is a core module or an optional module. If its a core module there are serious implications and you won't be able to pass your degree. If its an optional module you can choose another optional module to study and try again in Year 3. You cannot graduate until the optional module has been passed. I would suggest you contact your Faculty Registry Office to find out more information.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Hello ,
How about foundation year?
What if I don’t pass my resit exam?

Best regards
Hi there

If you fail a resit exam and it's a core module then you won't be able to progress into Year 1 of the degree. The regulations state that you must pass all core modules to progress into Year 1. If you fail a resit 'core module' you would have to return as a module retriever in September to study the module you failed.

If however the resit is not a core module then some courses will give students a 'condoned pass'. This means that you will be allowed to progress into Year 1 despite failing the resit. Not all courses allow this however. When you receive your resit results you should contact your Registry Office for guidance and advice.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Original post by Super_statr003
Hello ,
How about foundation year?
What if I don’t pass my resit exam?

Best regards
Thank you so much!
Hi there

If you fail a resit exam and it's a core module then you won't be able to progress into Year 1 of the degree. The regulations state that you must pass all core modules to progress into Year 1. If you fail a resit 'core module' you would have to return as a module retriever in September to study the module you failed.

If however the resit is not a core module then some courses will give students a 'condoned pass'. This means that you will be allowed to progress into Year 1 despite failing the resit. Not all courses allow this however. When you receive your resit results you should contact your Registry Office for guidance and advice.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Good afternoon,
I’ve got my results. I’m passed but I don’t know what does β€œretrieval success” mean beside my mark?
Could you please guide me ?
Kind regards,
Original post by Super_statr003
Good afternoon,
I’ve got my results. I’m passed but I don’t know what does β€œretrieval success” mean beside my mark?
Could you please guide me ?
Kind regards,

Hi there

The term retrieval success just means that you have successfully passed the module.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Good morning,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Best wishes,
Hi
@Uni of Westminster

Hi Kim

What happens if student fails (basically, only because of late submission) one 20 credits optional module (also, possibly final year project which is 40 credits) of graduating year?

Examinations were deferred and late submitted, hence 0 mark and fail. Wondering can I do something to avoiding resiting whole year ? I am an international student with visa ending soon.

Regards
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest