The Student Room Group

I have just finished GCSE's

Hi guys, so I have finished my GCSE's and I wanted to start a chat where you can discuss what subjects you have taken and what you hope to achieve. We can also discuss things like moving on to sixth form/ college.
If anyone from year 9-11 has any questions, then feel free to comment :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For GCSEs , overall, I did: chemistry, biology, physics, maths, English lit, English Language, hospitality, graphics, art and Spanish.

I hope to achieve 9s in Chemistry, physics and maths. I hope to achieve 8s in biology, hospitality and graphics. I hope to achieve 7s in English Literature andLanguage and art. I hope to get a 6 in Spanish :smile:
I would like to take biology, maths and chemistry for a levels, any advice.
Original post by SHanxzon
For GCSEs , overall, I did: chemistry, biology, physics, maths, English lit, English Language, hospitality, graphics, art and Spanish.

I hope to achieve 9s in Chemistry, physics and maths. I hope to achieve 8s in biology, hospitality and graphics. I hope to achieve 7s in English Literature andLanguage and art. I hope to get a 6 in Spanish :smile:

all the best that would be really good you surely do have a bright future
Reply 4
Original post by renegade1231
all the best that would be really good you surely do have a bright future

Thank you! I’m sure you do too :smile:
Reply 5
Also i'd like to point out that i took the following subjects at GCSE: AQA English Language( the exam was taken in year 10), AQA English Literature (Macbeth, power and conflict poetry, Animal Farm and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde), Edexcel maths higher tier, OCR Combined Science, AQA Geography, AQA Religous studies ( religons: Islam and Christianity), Edexcel Health and Social Care and OCR Food Preparation and Nutrition.
Reply 6

Wow, some high grades for the sciences. I wish you the best of luck! x
I'm pretty confident in maths, further maths and the Triple Science's but engineering and both eng Lang and lit are worrying me. By the way Im from India and started my education in UK at the start of yr 11 that's why English is a problem for me. My parents have high expectations as well hope I don't let them down
Reply 8
I would like to take biology, maths and chemistry for a levels, any advice.

All facillitating subjects, they will be great! Good luck, it's going to be difficult as these are some of the hardest subjects! x
Reply 9
All of my exams were AQA - these are the grades i would be happy with on results day (mostly) but im aware that success is relative and im not saying any less that this is a bad grade at all, it would just be less than i thought i could get
Maths - 9
Further maths - A^
Maths is my really strong subject and ive done well in the practice papers and thought the exams went well so fingers crossed
English lang -7
English lit - 7
Did NOT like english, even though i slowly improved towards the end of the year english has been my worst and i wouldnt be surprised if i got 6s
Geography -7/8
Taught myself most the spec the night before but hoping the exams didnt go too badly- Maybe im being optimistic?
Food preparation and nutrition - 8/9
Got full coursework marks and the exam was pretty easy so fingers crossed
Biology - 8
Probably optimistic seeing as biology has been my worst science and the first exam so i made so many stupid mistakes - also where were all the good topics on the exam?!
Chemistry - 8/9
I loved GCSE chemistry and i quite liked the papers but again, who knows
Physics -7/8
Eh - tried hard throughout the year but couldve done more towards the en
Spanish -8/9
Again i loved spanish so much and i hope i do well but i doubt i will get a 9 because of how many native spanish speakers take the gcse

Next year i want to do Biology Chemistry Maths and idk whether to stay at my school's sixth form (supportive but scared of teachers leaving) or go to a local college which might not support medicine application and work experience as much (but i cant know until i go i guess)

What about you???
Reply 10
I'm pretty confident in maths, further maths and the Triple Science's but engineering and both eng Lang and lit are worrying me. By the way Im from India and started my education in UK at the start of yr 11 that's why English is a problem for me. My parents have high expectations as well hope I don't let them down

That's amazing! I wish you the best of luck on achieving what you deserve. It is admiring that you are from another country and are working hard. I hope you make your parents proud, you have a bright future x
Original post by leilazara
Wow, some high grades for the sciences. I wish you the best of luck! x

Thank you! You too :smile: what A levels are you taking?

Wow! The fact u were able to come to a new country and adapt is praiseworthy in itself- you should seriously be proud and I’m sure you’ve worked hard so don’t worry:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by s666

What about you???

Wow they all sound great, i really do hope you achieve the grades you have worked for. I completetly agree, sucsess is relative and you know how you have worked and how much you have put in so i hope it works out! They sound like some difficult A-level subjects, however you clearly have a bright future. I would recommend going to the sixth form as you will get more help, be more familar with it and comfortable. However by going elsewhere you can build your confidence and get used to new places and meet new people. I hope it works out x
Reply 14

You're welcome and I will be taking Geography, Physcology and Philosopy, Ethics and Religon :smile:

maths Chen and bio
Hiya, I have just finished my GCSEs, as of yesterday, and I took: maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, physics (accelerated sciences, meaning I did the separate sciences specification without the extra time), English language and literature, business, IT, geography, French. I'm predicted all 8s apart from geography in which I have been predicted a 7 and maths in which I have been predicted a 9. For A-levels, I have chosen maths, chemistry, biology, and physics.
I did maths triple science both English, history geography RE and Spanish.

Predicted all 8s and 9s.
I felt my humanities went well apart from history p1. Science I don’t even know- Biology was hard and chemistry was quite good but physics p2 was horrendous( I did triple). How did everyone find sciences and physics P2 in particular?
English was okay but language worries me because examiners mark so subjectively! Spanish I was forced to do and I hated it so would be happy with a 6. Good luck all x

Original post by s666
All of my exams were AQA - these are the grades i would be happy with on results day (mostly) but im aware that success is relative and im not saying any less that this is a bad grade at all, it would just be less than i thought i could get
Maths - 9
Further maths - A^
Maths is my really strong subject and ive done well in the practice papers and thought the exams went well so fingers crossed
English lang -7
English lit - 7
Did NOT like english, even though i slowly improved towards the end of the year english has been my worst and i wouldnt be surprised if i got 6s
Geography -7/8
Taught myself most the spec the night before but hoping the exams didnt go too badly- Maybe im being optimistic?
Food preparation and nutrition - 8/9
Got full coursework marks and the exam was pretty easy so fingers crossed
Biology - 8
Probably optimistic seeing as biology has been my worst science and the first exam so i made so many stupid mistakes - also where were all the good topics on the exam?!
Chemistry - 8/9
I loved GCSE chemistry and i quite liked the papers but again, who knows
Physics -7/8
Eh - tried hard throughout the year but couldve done more towards the en
Spanish -8/9
Again i loved spanish so much and i hope i do well but i doubt i will get a 9 because of how many native spanish speakers take the gcse

Next year i want to do Biology Chemistry Maths and idk whether to stay at my school's sixth form (supportive but scared of teachers leaving) or go to a local college which might not support medicine application and work experience as much (but i cant know until i go i guess)

What about you???

Original post by leilazara
Hi guys, so I have finished my GCSE's and I wanted to start a chat where you can discuss what subjects you have taken and what you hope to achieve. We can also discuss things like moving on to sixth form/ college.
If anyone from year 9-11 has any questions, then feel free to comment :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by tamilgal0506
Hiya, I have just finished my GCSEs, as of yesterday, and I took: maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, physics (accelerated sciences, meaning I did the separate sciences specification without the extra time), English language and literature, business, IT, geography, French. I'm predicted all 8s apart from geography in which I have been predicted a 7 and maths in which I have been predicted a 9. For A-levels, I have chosen maths, chemistry, biology, and physics.

They all sound really good, i wish you the best of success :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
From someone who just finished a levels - well done! honey you got a big storm coming.

Quick Reply

Latest