The Student Room Group

High Court refuses bid for gender-neutral passports

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44575229

A campaigner has lost a High Court challenge calling on the government to provide gender-neutral passports.
Christie Elan-Cane wants passports to have an "X" category, which could be used by those who consider themselves neither fully male nor female.

The campaigner claimed the UK's passport process was "inherently discriminatory".

High Court judge Mr Justice Jeremy Baker refused to rule the government policy as unlawful.

——————————

Rougly 0.01% (I cannot confirm if it’s this figure) of the UK population identify as « gender non-conforming ».

How will this work? Will all our passports have to be replaced, would only those who are part of the 0.01% get these new passports?

Scroll to see replies

An 'X' category defeats the purpose of the M/F identifier on the document. If information like that can be voluntarily withheld, why even have it on a passport? Regardless, sex is quite relevant when identifying somebody, as is a photograph. That's why it's on there.

People without a clear biological sex are incredibly rare and aren't good justification for essentially nullifying a relevant identity component on a passport (if it's open to everyone). In these cases, these people should simply pick M or F. It's not like it's a tattoo on their forehead; it's a document few people are ever going to see.

Some countries have already done this (if I remember correctly), but did so in response to political lobbying rather than sensible, constructive criticism of the passport identity system. It hasn't improved passports. It basically compromises important information and makes identity fraud somewhat easier, all to make a tiny minority of people happier with their passports.
Reply 2
Just pick one. You might not be entirely comfortable with your mugshot either but it's got to go on there.
I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked that link but I'm still really surprised.
Original post by Occitanie

A campaigner has lost a High Court challenge calling on the government to provide gender-neutral passports.
Christie Elan-Cane wants passports to have an "X" category, which could be used by those who consider themselves neither fully male nor female.

The campaigner claimed the UK's passport process was "inherently discriminatory".

High Court judge Mr Justice Jeremy Baker refused to rule the government policy as unlawful.

——————————

Rougly 0.01% (I cannot confirm if it’s this figure) of the UK population identify as « gender non-conforming ».

How will this work? Will all our passports have to be replaced, would only those who are part of the 0.01% get these new passports?

——————————

Just accept the change and stop moaning. Gender isnt important anyway
Biologically exists only 3 genders, male , female , transgender . As long as the judiciary follows the natural pattern of genders, people would be sorted out in accordance to these 3 options. As simple as that. If people have any issue, they can of course compain it to the concerned authorities.

As it stands, nothing will happen, because they lost the challenge. However, if it was to be introduced, by my understanding it'd just be an X under Sex* as opposed to M or F, so there would be no need for anyone unaffected to change their passports.

*Using Sex as opposed to Gender here, because I have my UK passport in front of me, and that's the term it uses.
Reply 8
What damage does it do? Does it actually affect anyone negatively?
It's literally just giving non-binary people rights... if this was about sexism or racism or even homophobia you'd all be fuming.
Why are you so willing to just sweep gender neutral people under the carpet?
Original post by Brown_Panda
Biologically exists only 3 genders, male , female , transgender . As long as the judiciary follows the natural pattern of genders, people would be sorted out in accordance to these 3 options. As simple as that. If people have any issue, they can of course compain it to the concerned authorities.

Debatable. But as things stand, there are only two options for Sex on UK passports.
What do XXY people do?
Original post by ThomH97
Just pick one. You might not be entirely comfortable with your mugshot either but it's got to go on there.

Lol that's true, i hate my appearance so much i always keep my uni ID card back to front on my lanyard

---------------
Feel pretty neutral (no pun intended) about this issue, can see it both ways (from a security point of view and a liberal point of view)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Debatable. But as things stand, there are only two options for Sex on UK passports.

I am referring to passports in majority of the world democracies... Eg.. US, Australia, Beligium, Moldova etc., Do have transgenders in their passport application, as I am led to believe by my esteemed colleagues.... 😊
Original post by Brown_Panda

No biologically there are only 2 genders : male and female. Fullstop

Lol
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Thank you for adding reps. You have my gratitude.
Reply 15
Original post by BobSausage
What damage does it do? Does it actually affect anyone negatively?
It's literally just giving non-binary people rights... if this was about sexism or racism or even homophobia you'd all be fuming.
Why are you so willing to just sweep gender neutral people under the carpet?

Because it’s a mental illness, unlike homosexuality, race and sex.
Reply 16
Original post by Luke5125
Just accept the change and stop moaning. Gender isnt important anyway

They’ll lose the appeal and nothing will change anyway.
Reply 17
It might just be ones purported ignorance showing through here but this would seem to be a fairly irrelevant development, no? I mean does it really make that much difference what it says on your passport? [in this case quite literally 1 letter] The only people who ever pay any attention to them, in general, are boarder agencies and for me at least i couldnt give a monkeys what they think nor consider ones gender to be.
It's the same thing.
Wait another generation and it'll become mainstream. It won't happen yet though.

Quick Reply

Latest