The Student Room Group

Have you been scammed? Share your experience here

Have you been a victim of a scam? Want to share your experience to help others avoid the same mistake?

A researcher for a TV programme @JAMISKY (his original post is below) is looking for people to share their stories of scams they've been targeted by.

At this stage, Gamil is only looking for written case studies as part of the research process, so you won't have to appear on camera. However, if you have a story and would like to help with the process, comment your story below or email him at [email protected]

Have your or anyone you know been targeted by a scam? What was the outcome?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good Afternoon All,

My name is Gamil Jassin, and I'm currently working on a BBC1 daytime consumer program and among other things, we are looking into common scams and fraud.

During my time at university, I fell victim to a number of scams mainly through gumtree and thought this would be a great platform to share some of the experiences of other students to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future.

It would be amazing if you guys would share some of your stories below and we could potentially have a more in-depth discussion about your cases over the phone.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.
Hi there, although I'm 100% sure you are not from the BBC - there's no harm in me sending this. I've never been scammed before cause you can usually tell that the person is trying to scam you. The moment money is involved before a product is in your hands and you're not using a trusted seller you can probably tell it's a scam. The funniest time would be when I was told that my uncle in Uganda had died and I had an inheritance of £60000. However, apparently, I had to pay inheritance tax though before I could receive it. I knew it was legit as the email came from [email protected]. I spent a week referencing Ugandan knuckles before they realised I knew it was a scam. Also, I'm not giving you my phone number OP, better luck next time.
Reply 3
Hey there, I completely respect the lack of trust, and I appreciate the reply.

I would never request a phone number from anybody. You can contact me at any time on 07867005849. I work for a production studio called Rawcut Television ( http://www.rawcut.tv/ ) and we are currently making a 15 episode daytime BBC 1 Program. If you have any questions or concerns you can also call 02072871050 (EXT 109), 9-6 Monday to Friday or ask for me ( Gamil Jassin ) and I'd be very happy to chat.

Best Gamil.
Touche.
Reply 5
No idea, I'm still awaiting my £100,000,000 inheritance from a Nigerian prince via Western Union. Will keep you posted.
I fell for a scam but nothing came of it, as in I didn’t lose any money.

I got an email from Apple, saying that I had purchased a product (which I hadn’t) and that if I needed a refund, I should enter my details.

Being the stupid 18 year old I was, I entered ALL my bank details, and my mother’s maiden name. The same email came through a month later and I did the same thing. It was only after I did it that I thought ‘hang on, this is dodgy af’ and then called Apple who confirmed it was a scam. I then cancelled my card and everything was okay. I’m older and wiser now thankfully 😅
Reply 7
Original post by Abcdefghijk123

I got an email from Apple, saying that I had purchased a product (which I hadn’t) and that if I needed a refund, I should enter my details.

Being the stupid 18 year old I was, I entered ALL my bank details, and my mother’s maiden name. The same email came through a month later and I did the same thing. It was only after I did it that I thought ‘hang on, this is dodgy af’ and then called Apple who confirmed it was a scam. I then cancelled my card and everything was okay. I’m older and wiser now thankfully 😅

I almost did something very similar through my uni email. Got the "you have been awarded a bursary" email and clicked it because I was pretty desperate waiting for the student finance to come in, just eating pot noodles every day. But I also didn't go through with it as the link looked dodgy.

The crappy thing is that this sort of thing still goes on, and some people aren't as lucky as we were.

Thank for getting in touch though.
Original post by Abcdefghijk123

You gave them ur bank details TWICE and you didnt lose any money?? Those scammers must've been high af.
Original post by Cyber Curry
You gave them ur bank details TWICE and you didnt lose any money?? Those scammers must've been high af.

Yeah, they definitely weren’t the brightest pennies in the fountain 😂
Reply 10
yeah, my therapist told me life gets better, can't believe i fell for it
yes. Once
Reply 12
Original post by JAMISKY
Good Afternoon All...

Hi there :wavey:

Usually media requests such as these come through the Community Team so our members know they're real. Please can you private message me your email address so we can discuss further?

Ye, identity theft. I applied for a job. They didn't ask for any details that would be considered extra/suspicous. Just a normal job application. Not sure what the scammers might have gained from knowing my temporary address, my name and my skills and what I like doing in my spare time...

Showed up for my interview at the fake address and the receptionist told me that several people had come by with some fake job application before me. She gave me some coffee and some M&Ms and then I headed home
Original post by discobish
Have you been a victim of a scam? Want to share your experience to help others avoid the same mistake?

A researcher for a TV programme @JAMISKY (his original post is below) is looking for people to share their stories of scams they've been targeted by.

At this stage, Gamil is only looking for written case studies as part of the research process, so you won't have to appear on camera. However, if you have a story and would like to help with the process, comment your story below or email him at [email protected]

Have your or anyone you know been targeted by a scam? What was the outcome?

My dad's been scammed - £10000.
:angry:
Yeah by a couple of Romanian Gypsies. They tried to swindle me into buying some fake looking Armani watch for £30.00. I offered them £5.00 and bought it because they looked like they needed the money.

Also I found out a few of friends in the area had also been approached by the Armani salesman as well.

This was back in 2011 though.
I have been repeatedly scammed by an organisation that claims to be the major outlet of news in Britain. I believe this shady organisation is known publicly as "BBC News". I've checked it repeatedly to see if it mentions the widespread news story that the Leave campaign had repeated meetings with Russian oligarchs and was funded by them, via Aaron Banks. Alas! There is no mention anywhere in the BBC.

I really feel that I must warn people about this suspicious global news gathering operation, which declines to mention anything the government doesn't like, or hides things that are true, but it worries it might end up getting sued for, even though it has more money than Midas. gathered by a devious instrument of scamming called the 'license fee', or that might mean to any honest and decent person that the EU Referendum ought to be cancelled as an outrageous fraud.

Please, please expose this organisation of confidence tricksters before it is allowed to hide yet more significant national news.
I got worried that I might have to pay the license fee because my internet connection could be used to access a website that might possibly contain a video produced by a studio that was paid by the BBC. I wonder why I feel as if I'm being scammed considering that I'm a Non-Muslim Indian who subscribes to various online outlets that have nothing to do with the BBC????????
the biggest scam i fell for was signing up for the TSR. they conned me out of the most important resource we have. whats that we are only on earth for an extremely short amount of time better waste it browsing this site
Oh my god, i also remember scammers of groups of people just pretending to win cash from a gambling game, but its all set up becuase the people who win are part of the group. They are found in tourist areas (paris) and in town centures.

Quick Reply

Latest