The Student Room Group

Education = Indoctrination?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Could you please give examples of other things they've taught us that are false?

Anyone who learns about Hitler from the internet is guaranteed to fail his exams.
Reply 21
Original post by Parthaab
Anyone who learns about Hitler from the internet is guaranteed to fail his exams.

How so?
Reply 22
DO you have a REAL choice?
Unless you would nt mind failing the exams, that is

Good point, you can learn to pass the exams without believing in it I guess
Reply 23
Original post by spidle
How so?

Have you tried it? Or the holocaust for that matter.

Guaranteed you WILL fail if you did.
Reply 24
You could try 'there are no stars seen from the moon', which is what astronauts reported when they 'landed on the moon'.

Will you pass or fail, do you think? :u:
(edited 5 years ago)
Have you tried it? Or the holocaust for that matter.

Guaranteed you WILL fail if you did.

Being failed for making up events in history and contradicting historical facts is not being indoctrinated. It is called being incorrect and therefore you would lose marks for this.
in primary school, a teacher said we are very lucky to have the union jack flag and to have this alliance between the countries of the british isles. it sounded like bullsh*t to me and why was she putting this idea onto us. it's an opinion not a fact.
Reply 27
Try this: 'there are no stars seen from the moon' - which is what astronauts reported when they 'landed on the moon' - see video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYx_17JHTY
Reply 28
In a way it is. Take the following example from India.

There's a famous "old money class" in India that was moneyed during the era of British colonialism. These people were ethnic-Indians, who mostly worked for the Civil Service of British India, and therefore were educated through British institutions. Consequently, the adopted a lot of the British concepts, thinkings and morals of the time - this included things like secularism and sympathies towards Christianity. Upon independence, these "old money class" elites of India formed the first political parties. Since they were educated that secularism was the best way forward, they opposed Hinduism and therefore formed the left-wing party of India. However, this also meant that the left-wing was often more regressive than the right-wing due to its sympathies for Christianity - such as homophobia - and these people still maintained the colonial corruption.

The colonial British at the time supported secularism because they looked down on Hinduism while supporting Christianity. It just so happens that they viewed secularism as a progressive way to introduce Christianity to India.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by hailye2
In a way it is. Take the following example from India.

The colonial British at the time supported secularism because they looked down on Hinduism while supporting Christianity. It just so happens that they viewed secularism as a progressive way to introduce Christianity to India.

How about indoctrination in general?
Not related to colonialism, but current.
Reply 30
How about indoctrination in general?
Not related to colonialism, but current.

It depends on the education. I don't think Western education is indoctrination because we have all sorts of different political beliefs and ideas however if you look at Chinese or North Korean education it seems much more idoctrinating telling children the Communist Party or Kim Jong Un is the best.
This means that better grades are given to those who accurately imbibe anything fed to them.
Not necessarily for those who question or are more intelligent. That makes sense that education is indoctrination.

Maths is all memorisation isnt it? So are application questions in biology its just memorisation. Those physics questions where you dont even know what theyre asking? Thats just memorisation too

Just memorise the book lol thats how you get A*s

Im clearly smarter than these dweebs even thought I get grade E's on gcse its because im ENLIGHTENED and not a sheep like all those nerds

"God I wish I wasnt failing all my subjects*
Reply 32
Original post by DrugsAndLove <3
Maths is all memorisation isnt it? So are application questions in biology its just memorisation. Those physics questions where you dont even know what theyre asking? Thats just memorisation too

Just memorise the book lol thats how you get A*s

Im clearly smarter than these dweebs even thought I get grade E's on gcse its because im ENLIGHTENED and not a sheep like all those nerds

"God I wish I wasnt failing all my subjects*

Absolutely.
What better way to indoctrinate than give the highest grades for the person who repeats and never questions. ( nor finds the time to question )
Reply 33
Original post by spidle
It depends on the education. I don't think Western education is indoctrination because we have all sorts of different political beliefs and ideas however if you look at Chinese or North Korean education it seems much more idoctrinating telling children the Communist Party or Kim Jong Un is the best.

It can be in some cases. Why do we believe that there are six continents when many countries think Eurasia and America are one continent respectively?

Why do we still view Hinduism as a religion? Why are Pakistanis still being forwarded as being entirely "Indian" without any consideration of them being at the very least "mixed"?

Finally, we've been taught to believe that gay marriage is progressive but straight marriage is regressive, that drugs are good but smoking is bad, etc...
Absolutely.
What better way to indoctrinate than give the highest grades for the person who repeats and never questions. ( nor finds the time to question )

Go do your travel and tourism BTEC and apply for job seekers allowance
Reply 35
I wish my students would just agree with me in their essays and exams.
Reply 36
Original post by gjd800
I wish my students would just agree with me in their essays and exams.

Teachers themselves are merely parroting what the government told them to believe in. Right?
How many teachers would know that stars cannot be seen from the moon?
( see video above )

Tbh, it is nt the TEACHER they agree with, but with the government approved syllabus.
Reply 37
Teachers themselves are merely parroting what the government told them to believe in. Right?
How many teachers would know that stars cannot be seen from the moon?
( see video above )

Tbh, it is nt the TEACHER they agree with, but with the government approved syllabus.

Well, in this instance, no. I teach according to my research. I doubt anybody in government has the slightest clue about the intricacies of what I do.
Reply 38
The teachers research is immaterial since the student scores according to a government approved syllabus. Teachers are themselves only brainwashed products of the indoctrination system.
Reply 39
The teachers research is immaterial since the student scores according to a government approved syllabus. Teachers are themselves only brainwashed products of the indoctrination system.

Not in a university they don't. The government has no say about my research. They do not approve what we teach (we develop the curriculum ourselves according to our research strengths and interests), they have no input as to our grading, which is all devised, agreed and implemented in-house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending