What programming language should I learn for Business Information Systems Watch

SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm changing from general Business to Information Systems, I've been looking at learning to programme for awhile and I thought I may as well make it relevant to my degree, or the job afterwards.

There's a lot of Process modelling, databases, analytics, web applications, computer and internet applications etc..
I don't know what/if any programming language would be beneficial, any ideas?

If at all possible, I'd like to look at building applications for the work I'd be doing, not for my degree but possibly for my job or making a job out of that.
Thanks.
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If your course covers web applications, then you'll almost certainly encounter HTML, CSS and JavaScript because these are the 3 languages of the web, so it would be worth spending some time familiarising yourself with those (HTML and CSS aren't programming languages, they're used for visual web content).

Also, for databases you'll need SQL (Again, not a programming language, but it's used for retrieving data from databases)

As far as learning to program is concerned, have a look at this (free introductory programming course from Harvard University - ignore the paid-for certificate option) - https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-int...harvardx-cs50x

the most important part of programming is getting your head into the mindset of thinking computationally and learning to solve problems algorithmically -- a programming language is just a tool, so programming itself isn't really about the language, it's about solving problems, which is the focus of the Harvard course (and hopefully once you're comfortable with programming basics, then you should be able to apply that to any other language you try in future).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed