Is the Liberal order doomed? Watch

Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
First we had Brexit and then Trump. Anti liberal parties are in the ascendant in Eastern Europe and are in ruling coalitions in Italy and Austria. Even France, Sweden and Germany have strong Anti liberal opposition parties.

Is the political zeitgeist on the side of anti-liberal conservatives? Can it be stopped? How?

(Whilst confusing to label ‘liberal’ in this sense can be shorthand for people that are very socially liberal, support for liberal institutions, pro immigration and multiculturalism, and this can include most MPs from Corbyn to May despite some divergences of economic opinion)
BritishJew
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Is the political zeitgeist on the side of anti-liberal conservatives? Can it be stopped? How?
It can't be stopped, true conservatives are winning and one day the world will thank us for it.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brexit is a liberal position.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There will be cycles and swings right up to the collapse of capitalism.
freept
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)
First we had Brexit and then Trump. Anti liberal parties are in the ascendant in Eastern Europe and are in ruling coalitions in Italy and Austria. Even France, Sweden and Germany have strong Anti liberal opposition parties.

(Whilst confusing to label ‘liberal’ in this sense can be shorthand for people that are very socially liberal, support for liberal institutions, pro immigration and multiculturalism, and this can include most MPs from Corbyn to May despite some divergences of economic opinion)
Brexit and the migration crisis will lead to a fall of the EU as we know it today. It'll either fall apart completely with other countries deciding to leave, or it'll become a tighter co-operation of the Franco-German alliance.

Either way, both liberal and conservative parties will be losing influence. Soon, there'll be a mass following of populist parties which will further fracture the continent. Some will support the give outs and Russia, some will try to stick to the Western alliance. Lets see what that'll lead to.
freept
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BritishJew)
It can't be stopped, true conservatives are winning and one day the world will thank us for it.
Who are those true conservatives? Not being a smartass, I'm just wondering because I can't see any.

#ConservativeWaveToSaveEurope
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Once Brexit happens and reveals itself to be a disastrous mistake, liberal parties will probably come back into power.
BritishJew
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by freept)
Who are those true conservatives? Not being a smartass, I'm just wondering because I can't see any.
The people pulling the strings in the Tory party right now are the Brexiteers.

Gove, Rees-Mogg, Davis.

Rees-Mogg has got enough nominations to call for a leadership election any day he wants. He is picking his moment, it will be the right moment.

#moggmentum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads