The Student Room Group

What do universities consider when looking at applicants?

Right this is the case for normal universities not like Oxbridge and not in clearing but firmir for that university; Person A - has done research about the course and really wants to do it, A hasnt applied to Uni yet but took a gap year and ended up getting DDD or lower. But A still wants to do that course so decided to retake. Person A got offers of AAB/ABB as A has done work experience and has 100% attendance throughout A levels and firmed the uni. End of the retake, A got ABC but hasnt reached offer. Now, if Person B has reached the offer but didnt get in to the course B wanted and only got recommended that course closely related to that will they choose Person B or Person A?
Note that Person A has made a big improvement which showed commitment and dedication to that course whilst Person B didnt want to do the course but only got recommended despite getting the grades - do Unis still take in dedication, commitment and improvement or do they rely based on the grades only?
Been wondering this since I started A levels and want to see what people generally think or have experienced.
Thanks
Reply 1
What do unis consider?

Grades
Original post by KittyLuver
Right this is the case for normal universities not like Oxbridge and not in clearing but firmir for that university; Person A - has done research about the course and really wants to do it, A hasnt applied to Uni yet but took a gap year and ended up getting DDD or lower. But A still wants to do that course so decided to retake. Person A got offers of AAB/ABB as A has done work experience and has 100% attendance throughout A levels and firmed the uni. End of the retake, A got ABC but hasnt reached offer. Now, if Person B has reached the offer but didnt get in to the course B wanted and only got recommended that course closely related to that will they choose Person B or Person A?
Note that Person A has made a big improvement which showed commitment and dedication to that course whilst Person B didnt want to do the course but only got recommended despite getting the grades - do Unis still take in dedication, commitment and improvement or do they rely based on the grades only?
Been wondering this since I started A levels and want to see what people generally think or have experienced.
Thanks

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If both people have offers, person B gets the course. The uni can't not accept them if they meet the terms of their offer.

If you're talking about getting offers, person B is probably still a stronger applicant (a-levels over 2 years and better grades) unis do look at the PS but person B probably still has a decent PS and reference.

That said decisions aren't usually one applicant vs another like this, especially if they have different grades.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If both people have offers, person B gets the course. The uni can't not accept them if they meet the terms of their offer.

If you're talking about getting offers, person B is probably still a stronger applicant (a-levels over 2 years and better grades) unis do look at the PS but person B probably still has a decent PS and reference.

That said decisions aren't usually one applicant vs another like this, especially if they have different grades.

Ahhh i see thank youuuu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending