Royal Veterinary College: AHEMS, accommodation and transport Watch

RenLong
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello! I have some questions for current RVC students regarding the above topics

How did/do you travel to placements. I am concerned at the lack of parking available if I'm staying at halls in Camden (understand why it is like this though). Are there other methods of transport I'm unaware of? I don't see how you can not have a car, how do you get to farms etc.?

I'm thinking of buying a car, but with no onsite parking I would be leaving it at my parents house over 100 miles away just to use for 6 weeks of placements. My parents have company cars so its not like I can get insured on one of theirs. What does everyone else do??

RVC haven't provided much information on my questions when I've asked
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You won't really need to do placements during term time so a car won''t be needed for your first year, and nobody in their right mind will have one.
But you don't actually need a car for placements - I know a few people that can't even drive but manage. Taxi's, public transport, lifts its all a possibility just a little harder.
Popsicle_pirate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you referring to the 5yr vet med programme? If so, you only need to do 12 weeks of animal husbandry placements over the first two years of the course while you are based in Camden but these are all done during holidays (Christmas, Easter, summer) as arranged by yourself so you can book them near home where your car is (although you may need to travel further out/ book accommodation for certain placements depending on whereabouts in the country you are from and what is available there). If you are talking about nursing then apologies - I have no idea what the placement situation is!
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All my placements were within walking/cycling distance of where I lived, otherwise I took a train/coach and lived on-site on placements that could offer accommodation. I'm in third year and still don't have a car; it's useful once you move out to PB but not a necessity, and as you point out it would honestly just be a faff to have your car if you're living in halls.
ouchthathurts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buy a banger, use it over summer, once you're done with placements declare it off the road and get the tax refunded. Leave it waiting for use next year or sell it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads