Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have no clue how to draw this graph. I know that sine 180 is zero so I'm confused on how to draw the graph
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Paper D Edexcel maths as paper
Q4a
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
This Paper:
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
bump
Personinsertname
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First off what does a sin(x) graph look like
Now if i multiply the entire function by the number i am stretching it vertically.
If I am multiplying the inside (the bit with x) and i am squashing the wave together so that things are more frequent.

Its just a transformation question.
Learn the transformation rules.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
I have no clue how to draw this graph. I know that sine 180 is zero so I'm confused on how to draw the graph
The period of the sine function sin(t degrees) is 360 degrees and so using 0<=t<=10 you need to work out how many cycles of the sine wave to draw for sin(180t degrees). The 1/2 factor is just a matter of scaling so the maxima and minima are 1/2 rather than 1.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dalek1099)
The period of the sine function sin(t degrees) is 360 degrees and so using 0<=t<=10 you need to work out how many cycles of the sine wave to draw for sin(180t degrees). The 1/2 factor is just a matter of scaling so the maxima and minima are 1/2 rather than 1.
I know about the 1/2 bit. I have never seen sin(180t) before. btw is there a way to calculate co-ordinates of this graph on a calculator
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The inequality is from 0 ≤ t ≤ 10
The graph is 1/2 sin(180t).
Use transformation of functions to know that this is stretched vertically by 1/2 (so the range is -1/2 ≤ f(t) ≤ 1/2)
And that f(180t) means it's squeezed horizontally by a scale factor of 180.

So try plotting points for t = 1-10 to give a general idea of the graph
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know about the 1/2 bit. I have never seen sin(180t) before. btw is there a way to calculate co-ordinates of this graph on a calculator
0<=t<=10 so plug in t=0 and t=10 into 180t and then that gives you the range of degrees that the sine function needs to be drawn and then from that you can work out the number of cycles from the period of the sine function.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
0<=t<=10 so plug in t=0 and t=10 into 180t and then that gives you the range of degrees that the sine function needs to be drawn and then from that you can work out the number of cycles from the period of the sine function.
If I put this graph into Desmos, it looks way different than the one in the markscheme.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
bump
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I put this graph into Desmos, it looks way different than the one in the markscheme.
What are you graphing on Desmos? The function sin(180t) simply contains a different argument 180t than you are used to so all that does is change the range of degrees that you have to graph the sine function for. The graph of sin(180t) for 0<=t<=10 is the same as the graph of sin(t) for 0<=t<=1800.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
What are you graphing on Desmos? The function sin(180t) simply contains a different argument 180t than you are used to so all that does is change the range of degrees that you have to graph the sine function for. The graph of sin(180t) for 0<=t<=10 is the same as the graph of sin(t) for 0<=t<=1800.
This is EXACTLY What i put into Desmos:

Name:  trighelp.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  172.5 KB
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Ad you can see, it looks proper different from the markscheme
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is EXACTLY What i put into Desmos:

Name:  trighelp.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  172.5 KB
Desmos works in Radians so that won't work as the question refers to degrees. To convert the Desmos graph to degrees use 1/2sin(pit) rather than 1/2sin(180t).
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Desmos works in Radians so that won't work as the question refer to degrees. To convert the Desmos graph to degrees use 1/2sin(pit) rather than 1/2sin(180t).
You legend ! Damn I thought it worked in degrees. Cheers man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads