The Student Room Group

Missing A level chemistry paper3 due to illness

Hi there,
I have missed my paper 3 chemistry exam due to head injury which required me to stay at hospital for 2 days. I am quite stressed of what might happen as a consequence.
idk what will happen but i know ive always wanted to know
Original post by Marc1996
Hi there,
I have missed my paper 3 chemistry exam due to head injury which required me to stay at hospital for 2 days. I am quite stressed of what might happen as a consequence.

You should check your own exam board's website for this information as it may vary. But to give you an idea this is from the AQA Website:

Reply 3
In the edexcel website it says that a student who has missed an exam component for a valid reason will be given a mark for this component based on his performance on the other two papers and the national average on this paper. I do not know if the exam board with accept that as a valid reason
Hi there,

You can have the grade for that exam predicted based on your performance for the other two. Get a doctor's letter as proof and go to the exams officer at your school
Reply 5
Talk to your school's exam office. It should be fine if you were in hospital. How they will calculate your grade is explained here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent I have know students miss an exam and still get an A* at A level so do not worry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Talk to your school's eam office. It should be fine if you were in hospital. How they will calculate your grade is explained here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent I have know students miss an exam and still get an A* at A level so do not worry.

I have spoken with him and he did explain something like that but he said the process is not predictable and no body would be able to know what will be the decision of the exam board.
I hope it goes well as I do not miss my medical school offer.
Thanks for your reply
Reply 7
he did explain something like that but he said the process is not predictable

I always say much the same but in practice you can be pretty certain what the verdict will be when you know the circumstances. If you were in hospital when the exam took place they will accept the application and so it will all come down to how you did on the other 2 exams.
Reply 8
I personally think it's stupid for the exam board to estimate the marks that the student will get on the paper they didn't do because of a valid reason. Why can't they just postpone the exam to another date for the student? Sure don't give them the paper already sat, give them a different paper.
Reply 9
Original post by The RAR
I personally think it's stupid for the exam board to estimate the marks that the student will get on the paper they didn't do because of a valid reason. Why can't they just postpone the exam to another date for the student? Sure don't give them the paper already sat, give them a different paper.

That would require them to produce a second paper, get it to the relevant centres, agree which day it will happen (not clashing with much else) and be able to ascertain the correct grade boundaries when only a very small number of people sit it. Far more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest