The Student Room Group

A-level subject opinions

I'm planning on doing CS (AQA) /Chemistry (AQA), Further Maths (OCR), Maths (OCR) and Physics (AQA) in September. Honest experiences or any tips on those subjects at A-level would be appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by savage_queen
I'm planning on doing CS (AQA) /Chemistry (AQA), Further Maths (OCR), Maths (OCR) and Physics (AQA) in September. Honest experiences or any tips on those subjects at A-level would be appreciated! :smile:

You are doing 4 or 5?
Get your revision books early and keep up to speed in year 12.
Original post by 999tigger
You are doing 4 or 5?
Get your revision books early and keep up to speed in year 12.

4, I can't choose between computer science and chemistry yet

For maths do loads of questions and don't underestimate the difficulty. Cos the first module is pretty much a recap of GCSE and I know many people from my class who thought maths would be easy as a result, and didn't do much revision, now they are really struggling (I'm near the end of year 12 btw). Apart from that your subjects really complement each other :smile: What are you planning on doing after A levels?
Original post by Shadowdraconis
For maths do loads of questions and don't underestimate the difficulty. Cos the first module is pretty much a recap of GCSE and I know many people from my class who thought maths would be easy as a result, and didn't do much revision, now they are really struggling (I'm near the end of year 12 btw). Apart from that your subjects really complement each other :smile: What are you planning on doing after A levels?

Thank you! I'm planning on doing computer engineering
You will most likely want to have only 3/4 subjects at A2. You will know which one(s) to drop (whichever you enjoyed less). Also make sure that the remaining subjects are useful for whichever course you want to do at uni.

Just saw you want to do engineering.
In this case you definitey want to keep Math, Further Math, and Physics for sure.

I reckon that chemistry is more useful than computer science for engineering but both are good.
You also didn't state if you are to do chemical engineering or not. If there is even the slightest of chances, YOU NEED chemistry, even for A2! (chemistry really will helps and may as well be required).

If you do chemical engineering, you should check relevant unis if there is a possibility of needing math, FM, physics, and chem (yes all 4 at A2, which is recommened).

My recommendation for all cases: math, FM, physics, chem (all at A2). This is due to the fact that math, FM, and physics is LESS work than 3 very different A levels so chemistry shows you can handle a demanding workload.
(edited 5 years ago)

any more tips on maths? how often should i be practising questions outside lessons aswell
Thank you! I'm planning on doing computer engineering

Cool!! I think id recommend computer science over chem then :smile: ,unless there's a chance that you might do something medicine/chemistry related. I do comp sci too and it's similar to GCSE but with more depth pretty much.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by FreshPrince102
any more tips on maths? how often should i be practising questions outside lessons aswell

I'd say do questions after every lesson. So in most cases you do a sub topic every lesson/every 2 lessons and after them (unless you are an extremely fast worker) you will have questions left from the lesson that you didn't have time to complete. Try and finish as many of those as you can. It means that when it comes to exam time you will be better prepared and also if you don't understand something there's plenty of time to get help about it. Hope this helps!
Original post by TheTroll73
You will most likely want to have only 3/4 subjects at A2. You will know which one(s) to drop (whichever you enjoyed less). Also make sure that the remaining subjects are useful for whichever course you want to do at uni.

Just saw you want to do engineering.
In this case you definitey want to keep Math, Further Math, and Physics for sure.

I reckon that chemistry is more useful than computer science for engineering but both are good.
You also didn't state if you are to do chemical engineering or not. If there is even the slightest of chances, YOU NEED chemistry, even for A2! (chemistry really will helps and may as well be required).

If you do chemical engineering, you should check relevant unis if there is a possibility of needing math, FM, physics, and chem (yes all 4 at A2, which is recommened).

My recommendation for all cases: math, FM, physics, chem (all at A2). This is due to the fact that math, FM, and physics is LESS work than 3 very different A levels so chemistry shows you can handle a demanding workload.

I'm planning on doing things related to computer science for uni but many courses don't seem to require computer science A-level so I'm assuming taking chemistry would widen my options. Also, my school doesn't offer AS so I have to do all 4 at A2
Cool!! I think id recommend computer science over chem then :smile: ,unless there's a chance that you might do something medicine/chemistry related. I do comp sci too and it's similar to GCSE but with more depth pretty much.

That's great! What exam board? And I'm not too keen on doing much medicine related so I might settle with computer science :smile:
That's great! What exam board? And I'm not too keen on doing much medicine related so I might settle with computer science :smile:

OCR Although the textbook is kinda messed up (it has some incorrect answers and is in a generally wiered order) but it's really interesting so I really enjoy it. Whatever you decide make sure it's what you enjoy too and not just aimed at future prospects cos sometimes the fact that you love a subject is the only reason you keep working hard/don't lose motivation. Good luck in your decision whatever you choose tho! :smile:
OCR Although the textbook is kinda messed up (it has some incorrect answers and is in a generally wiered order) but it's really interesting so I really enjoy it. Whatever you decide make sure it's what you enjoy too and not just aimed at future prospects cos sometimes the fact that you love a subject is the only reason you keep working hard/don't lose motivation. Good luck in your decision whatever you choose tho! :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! Good luck to you too for the future :smile:
Thank you so much for your advice! Good luck to you too for the future :smile:

Np, thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or anything.
Np, thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or anything.

Will do! Btw what subjects are you currently doing at A-level?
Anyone who does 4 a levels is either insanely smart or insanely mad. Pick one.
Will do! Btw what subjects are you currently doing at A-level?

Maths, Biology and Computer Science :smile:
Original post by yessicahaircut
Anyone who does 4 a levels is either insanely smart or insanely mad. Pick one.

I think it's a combo of both lmao 😂
Tbh tho it's not as mad as doing 5 A Levels in stem subjects like 2 of my friends are!
I do chemistry,biology and maths.Chemistry is my favourite,I like it since it's not about memorising content but understanding the concepts and practicing applying concepts to the question.Maths is my least favourite,I just find it hard personally-but don't be put off doing maths,some people really like it,it depends on your teacher too.I like my chemistry teachers but I don't really like the maths department.
I'd strongly advise you not to do physics. Trust me it's a great subject, however, the specification for aqa is new and the exams are a lot different. I personally found physics way harder than further maths this year as your resources are limited and the old papers are nothing like the ones they give you.

It's a really hard subject. Unless you're willing to put a tremendous amount of work into it ( such as going beyond what's in the specification because the exam questions require you to do so) you shouldn't do aqa physics.

Quick Reply

Latest