The Student Room Group

Does going to a Russel Group uni really affect anything? (English/Languages course)

Hi there,
I recently visited Surrey uni to have a look at their French and English Lit course as, despite lit not being a fave of mine, I’d read online that the course was heavy on creative writing and other modules I knew I’d enjoy. I really liked the uni’s languages department and it’s ranked 3rd in the UK at the moment (only beaten by Oxbridge!) however I’m not sure about it not being a Russel Group uni. I say this because there has been no end to my teachers encouraging me to apply for one - I’m hoping to get AAB-AAA, if that helps - and I don’t know if I should eliminate Surrey simply because of that. Logically, I know I shouldn’t because I liked it so much. How highly would you say Surrey is ranked among non-RG unis? With my course would I be at any disadvantage in terms of jobs or are the benefits of the ‘prestige’ of an RG uni mainly limited to specific courses - e.g Law etc? Thanks in advance!
Of course not.
Original post by sophie0602
Hi there,
I recently visited Surrey uni to have a look at their French and English Lit course as, despite lit not being a fave of mine, I’d read online that the course was heavy on creative writing and other modules I knew I’d enjoy. I really liked the uni’s languages department and it’s ranked 3rd in the UK at the moment (only beaten by Oxbridge!) however I’m not sure about it not being a Russel Group uni. I say this because there has been no end to my teachers encouraging me to apply for one - I’m hoping to get AAB-AAA, if that helps - and I don’t know if I should eliminate Surrey simply because of that. Logically, I know I shouldn’t because I liked it so much. How highly would you say Surrey is ranked among non-RG unis? With my course would I be at any disadvantage in terms of jobs or are the benefits of the ‘prestige’ of an RG uni mainly limited to specific courses - e.g Law etc? Thanks in advance!

Prestige (not to be confused with "Russell Group") affects a lot of things, yes. But, Surrey is not a university where I could definitively say you're "affected" in any way other than the limitations of your own drive/aspirations.

If you like Surrey and think its a fit by all means put it down. Better to work at your full potential and be surrounded by a great environment than be miserable and underperforming at a "better" uni.

Would still encourage you to look at some traditionally "better" universities though if you're capable and some that are less competitive than Surrey just in case - can't put all your eggs into one basket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Russel group unis tend to get a bit more funding in some subjects. Sadly languages isn't one of those subjects that gets much funding. I'm at a Russel group uni with a fairly large language department and we are really struggling to keep it going and the quality has decreased dramatically. Look at unis you like and not whether they are RG or not, because unless you want to go into something like engineering or science it really doesn't matter.
Original post by sophie0602
Hi there,

The difference between RG/non-RG will make absolutely no difference to 99.99% of all potential and current undergraduates. As you've seen, some non-RG are better than some RG ones. Excluding a particular uni because it's not RG is ridiculous. Go to the best uni you can, the one which has the most interesting courses, and will give you the best chances of getting you into the career you want. This may or may not be RG.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending