The Student Room Group

St Paul's Girls' School 'Austerity Day' criticised

I'm posting this anonymously because I actually go to this school lmao. Though I am on bursary, so I'm not exactly posh or that privileged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44578499

Anyway, do you guys think this "austerity lunch" is indeed offensive, or do you think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion? I personally think it's in bad taste, but the school has good intentions at heart as they are donating all the money saved to charities.
It’s pretty patronising
You know the school as you attend there and if you are not offended because you recognize their good intentions then I will not be offended. I am blessed in that I don't have to eat with 'austerity' in mind but many people do. I agree that for many that means canned food and that means just whatever random thing can be provided from a food bank. Perhaps an actual food drive where students actually bring in nonperishable food to be donated to a food bank would be actually more helpful. If a student at your school doesn't have a family that has to budget for what they eat I'm not sure that having an austerity lunch on occasion really shows them what it is like - its just a lunch of jacket potato for them. If there are any people at your school whose families do have to be careful on what is spent on food (eating in austerity everyday) the school lunch is probably the most nutritious meal for them and it is a shame that they have to miss out on that meal. But, if I'm being honest, is the school actually trying to teach lessons here or are they simply implementing cost saving in their own budget by occasionally providing a less expensive meal for their students? Is there any documented evidence that the 'money saved' has gone to a school charity?
I feel there are plenty of good families who have to eat meals based on austerity but austerity doesn't necessarily mean a family lives in utter poverty either. It means they have to be selective as to what they buy but for some that means as previously stated food from the food bank.
My personal opinion is that it's really a cost-saving strategy for the school and they are putting a good deed name to it. Perhaps I'm wrong though and it really is in trying to educate students on needs of the less fortunate but I'm not sure an occasional meal of a jacket potato really drives that message home. Just my two cents.
I'm sure your school is very good though (I mean that sincerely, btw) and if you genuinely believe it is coming from a place of good intention then it is not up to us to judge.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
But, if I'm being honest, is the school actually trying to teach lessons here or are they simply implementing cost saving in their own budget by occasionally providing a less expensive meal for their students? Is there any documented evidence that the 'money saved' has gone to a school charity?

My personal opinion is that it's really a cost-saving strategy for the school and they are putting a good deed name to it.

The school is actually a registered charity. I am 100% sure that all the money does indeed go to the school charities, or is put towards bursaries for students like me. I can say that from my time at this school, the girls actively and passionately try to raise money for charity. We even have a "Charities Committee" made up of these girls to organise things like bake sales and food bank donations.The cheaper, simpler meal being labelled as "austerity" doesn't severely offend me, but it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable as my mum usually cooks my brothers and I something very similar for dinner, so for us it's a normal meal.
The school is actually a registered charity. I am 100% sure that all the money does indeed go to the school charities, or is put towards bursaries for students like me. I can say that from my time at this school, the girls actively and passionately try to raise money for charity. We even have a "Charities Committee" made up of these girls to organise things like bake sales and food bank donations.The cheaper, simpler meal being labelled as "austerity" doesn't severely offend me, but it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable as my mum usually cooks my brothers and I something very similar for dinner, so for us it's a normal meal.

I am really sorry that the austerity meal tends to make you feel uncomfortable. Your mum is providing for you and loves you and that is all that matters! I think you'd be surprised the number of wonderful families who eat similarly. No need to feel uncomfortable - be proud of your family!
Reply 5
Pathetic. Nothing but virtue signalling nonsense.
Reply 6
I am really sorry that the austerity meal tends to make you feel uncomfortable. Your mum is providing for you and loves you and that is all that matters! I think you'd be surprised the number of wonderful families who eat similarly. No need to feel uncomfortable - be proud of your family!

Thank you very much for your comment it really means a lot. Our headteacher told us in assembly today that the day will be renamed "Charity Day". Tbh idk how I feel about that but I'm glad something is being done.
It's like university students who set up a tent and pretend they are rough sleepers for a night.

They may raise a bit of money, but it comes across as naïve and reinforces how pampered and sheltered they are.
How is this intellectually any different from Lent or Ramadan?
Original post by Trinculo
How is this intellectually any different from Lent or Ramadan?

Do you think putting the word "intellectually" in an incorrect context is makes up for your stupid analogy? Because it doesn't. It actually makes you look twice as dumb.
Upper middle class whites really need to take their heads out their ar%se.
Original post by rhaegar448
Do you think putting the word "intellectually" in an incorrect context is makes up for your stupid analogy? Because it doesn't. It actually makes you look twice as dumb.

Why is it a stupid analogy? Lent, Ramadan and this SPGS thing are all about pretending to know all about suffering without actually suffering.
*Original poster you should great - I'm irritated in the extreme don't let my howl effect your day - you've done nothing wrong and questioning things is a great approach to take.*

So rather than getting "herb-crusted salmon or duck leg confit" they served "potatoes with beans and coleslaw"... with the money they saved going to charity (I wonder if it's tax deductible?)

Yeah... its pretty 'flawed' conception and example of the outcomes of poverty or what 'austerity' has meant for normal people, who can't afford to send their kids to a school at £7,978 per term. :s-smilie:

All children deserve the same opportunities - private schools are an investment in an unequal society, designed to give extra opportunities to some children at, ultimately, the disadvantage of other children. Your teachers choose to fuel injustice and are paid over the odds to do so.

(I have no problem with parents that want the best for their children or children who attend any school - citizens though should care about social justice and the rights of all children - and teachers should be humanitarians; not mercenaries.)

Banality of evil - divinity of hell! :angry:...

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Perhaps an actual food drive where students actually bring in nonperishable food to be donated to a food bank would be actually more helpful. But, if I'm being honest, is the school actually trying to teach lessons here or are they simply implementing cost saving in their own budget by occasionally providing a less expensive meal for their students? Is there any documented evidence that the 'money saved' has gone to a school charity?

I'm not sure if there is actual evidence, but it seems pretty accurate that the money goes to charity, as they say how much they saved.

There are food drives where students bring in food for the food bank, and there is a food bank committee who help store the food at school during the event, pack it in to crates to transport it and transport it. The food bank committee has people from most years, and it also aims to raise awareness.

They're changing the name from Austerity Lunch to Charity Lunch, and the high mistress made a speech to the school apologising.

(I go there, I'm not on a bursary but I was state school educated during most of primary school so the "Austerity Lunch" is normal food for me.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I don't think stereotypes about what the diplomatically worded ''''less fortunate'''' eat is going to benefit anybody that goes to private school.

Quick Reply