The Student Room Group

Question about Further Maths

Hi,

I am currently 19 years old (since 5th of June) who is doing a BTEC L2 in ICT alongside GCSE English. I did my Maths last year and got C, I was 3 points away from a B. In a nutshell, when I came to England, I wasn't a great student and had little to no time to get my grates to a good standard. I am currently working part-time at 2 jobs and getting overall decent grates, by that I that I mean D* at my ICT course and expecting 5-7 from my English exam. In the past few weeks I came to the conclusion that if I want to get into a good University, I need to get better! I want to study Software Engineering/Computer Science. My goal is to get into Imperial College, so I intend to get myself into A* level of GCSE Maths and do Maths, Further Maths and Computing in a private college as A levels. I am ready to study all day every day, as much as humanly possible if needed, as long as I achieve my goal. I am afraid I won't be able to coop with the Further Maths, whenever I actually did put time into Maths, I usually grasped everything pretty fast. So I can tell, that I am a fast learner. My question is, do you think that is a realistic goal to get myself into A* by the 31st of August and be ready of for the 3 A levels mentioned earlier? (Maths, Further Maths and Computing)

Thanks !
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump! - I feel like it won't be seen as I posted it at 1 o clock midnight. Sorry if that's against the rules!
Original post by Dralexus
Hi,

I am currently 19 years old (since 5th of June) who is doing a BTEC L2 in ICT alongside GCSE English. I did my Maths last year and got C, I was 3 points away from a B. In a nutshell, when I came to England, I wasn't a great student and had little to no time to get my grates to a good standard. I am currently working part-time at 2 jobs and getting overall decent grates, by that I that I mean D* at my ICT course and expecting 5-7 from my English exam. In the past few weeks I came to the conclusion that if I want to get into a good University, I need to get better! I want to study Software Engineering/Computer Science. My goal is to get into Imperial College, so I intend to get myself into A* level of GCSE Maths and do Maths, Further Maths and Computing in a private college as A levels. I am ready to study all day every day, as much as humanly possible if needed, as long as I achieve my goal. I am afraid I won't be able to coop with the Further Maths, whenever I actually did put time into Maths, I usually grasped everything pretty fast. So I can tell, that I am a fast learner. My question is, do you think that is a realistic goal to get myself into A* by the 31st of August and be ready of for the 3 A levels mentioned earlier? (Maths, Further Maths and Computing)

Thanks !

Whether it's realistic really depends on how naturally good at maths you are. Do note that the old GCSE with grades A*-G no longer exists: it's now graded 9-1 (like for your English exam), where the grade 8 is equivalent to a lower A* and grade 9 is a higher A*. Getting an 8/9 should be possible if you're organised and work at a steady pace, using resources like CorbettMaths or ExamSolutions for revision. And of course, you can always post any questions/doubts here on TSR and we'll help.

Quick Reply

Latest