Turn on thread page Beta

Can I get a student loan if I already have a Diploma of Higher Education? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I was studying at a brick university from 2014 until 2016 towards B.A. (Hons) American History but had to drop out due to personal circumstances. In 2017 my university contacted me to say I had been awarded a Diploma of Higher Education as I had completed 2 years of study. This is a Level 5 qualification.

    I now want to finish my degree with Open University via credit transfer and have been accepted onto B.A. (Hons) History for the third year. This is a Level 6 qualification. I am applying for a student loan but I am a little worried I won't get funding as I read the following on the National Union of Students website:


    What am I eligible for if I’ve completed a higher education course other than an honours degree?

    If you’ve completed a higher education course that leads on to an honours degree or other ‘end-on’ course (eg you’ve completed a Higher National Certificate (HNC), Higher National Diploma (HND), Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) or foundation degree course), you can apply for funding for the duration of your end-on course. However, if you get your funding in:

    England from Student Finance England and you started your ‘end-on’ course on or after 1 September 2012, both courses must be either full-time or part-time, and you must begin the end-on course no later than five months after completing your previous course, but not necessarily at the same university or college. You can only get a tuition fee loan for one year of your ‘end-on’ course.

    I am now concerned I won't get any funding as I already have a DipHE and that was completed 2 years ago not within the past 5 months.

    I called Student Finance England and they were of no help. They didn't know the policy and just said to wait until my application was manually assessed. All they did say that you can't get another loan for the same level of qualification.

    Does anyone know if I will be entitled to funding still?

University open days

  • University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.