The Student Room Group

Need help to look for job in summer holidays

hi
want to do a job in dummer holidays temporary one and i cant find it however as on monday i look for jobs in my local area maybe in opiticians or in boots or somewhere else and tried searching on various websites.such indeed or total jobs and most ask for experience or entry requirements which i do not have i just want as a temp job
any advice pls
Try finding warehouse work. It will give you full time work which pays ~£8/hr. The job is practically there for as long as you want it as there is a high turnover rate and most of the staff they hire now will be let go after Christmas. I done this during the summer last year and gave me a good amount of cash to go back up to university with.

Best of luck!
oh thank you i try finding it
i only wanna do during summer time
Reply 4
Get your CV looking great! Then hand it into as many places as possible.
Tips:
- make each place seem like the only place that you’ve visited.
- don’t tell them that you’re leaving again after the summer!
yeah i searched many places but i will such opitcians as they might sometimes need extra staff
Reply 6
I've never heard of these "dummer holidays"
oh sorry autocorrect mistake i mean summer holidays
Reply 8
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Try finding warehouse work. It will give you full time work which pays ~£8/hr. The job is practically there for as long as you want it as there is a high turnover rate and most of the staff they hire now will be let go after Christmas. I done this during the summer last year and gave me a good amount of cash to go back up to university with.

Best of luck!

What was it like working as a picker/packer?
Original post by Aplens
What was it like working as a picker/packer?

Pay was quite good at £8/hr, work was always available and you were always given at least 40 hours a week even though you're on a 0 hours contract. You get paid weekly also. I worked for a recruitment agency on behalf of Amazon in one of their logistics warehouses during the summer of 2017. Agency rep was nice enough also. They work you like a dog in there and they'll call you out for being slow if you end up going over 20 minutes for doing a route. Further to this, because 50+ people from the night shift are trying to pick/pack in such a small space there is a lot of congestion so often I went over the 20 minutes. Luckily I was on the day shift working 7am-3.30pm. So this only applied during the first half of the day. When there would be 15 of us including me in the warehouse working day shifts and they'd be a little bit more relaxed on health and safety so we could do some of the routes a bit quicker also. You get a one 30 minute break during your shift too.

Overall the work is crap, but who said you have to like it when you just need some spare cash for your next year of uni? I made tonnes of money working in that warehouse which practically set me up financially for my second year of uni.
Most places will prefer experience. Depending on the type of work, you could look to volunteering as a way to gain it - e.g. for retail, look for charity shop volunteering. You could also look at waitressing jobs - these can be seasonal and they usually hire those with little experience. The work is quite easy to pick up, and you can boost your income with tips.

Quick Reply